Next Thread
Print Thread
Birthday Boy goes to Thor Peak....
#8358 10/17/10 10:09 PM
D
DUG Offline OP
OP Offline
D
It was a GREAT day to be in the Whitney Zone! A huge thanks to Richard for putting it together and leading it. There's no words I can say that will accurately describe you much I appreciate it. THANK YOU.

Our trip started Saturday morning when Brad, my daughter's boyfriend drove up from San Diego. This was the first chance to really "meet" him and being a young sailor I figured he was up to the challenge. He did not disappoint.

Also making the trip was Mike's good friend Jordan, one of our Scout Troop's strongest hikers. He had me a little concerned a few times, but I think he was sandbagging it since he hit the top with everyone else and did not complain all day.

Jordan has never been higher than San J's 10,800 summit and I don't think Brad get's higher than 80 feet much (he works the Nimitz's flight deck).

Me and the birthday boy rounded out the group of Thor rookies.

Saturday at the suggestion of my friend Thor, we tried to pull fish out of Diaz Lake. Nothing was biting so Mike really wanted to pull something, anything out of the Portal pond. He has tried so many times and has had equipment problems or just bad luck. Saturday he pulled three which he proudly gave to Laura who was in the Zone with Jack and Betsy.

GigaMike was also in the area planning on going with us today, but Richard said he headed for home feeling under the weather. Hope you get well soon Mike!

When we did the MR earlier the E Ledges were all in the dark. I really wanted to see everything in the daylight so Richard set a 0700 start time.

We met up with Gary at the trailhead who hiked with us on the Candlelight hike. Great seeing him again. Just after 0700 we started up the trail with the birthday boy leading. After a 1/2 hour or so Gary dropped out saying he was having an off day. I hope we weren't setting too fast of a pace, we were racing the storm. Richard promised to hike Thor with him again next season.

We went a slightly different way (not that I could tell since it was dark last time) so we could try out the Elephant Ear. We passed through there with no problems and continued up making decent time for the rookie crew we had.

At Lower Boy Scout Lake Richard and Mike decided to switch our route from the Smiley Face to the Secret Route. If you ask me, they can keep it a secret. I didn't have much fun on that section and could tell that I have been scouting and doing other things except hiking ever since I went into Gambler's. It sure got my heart pumping.

Richard said that route would give us more bail out options in case the weather hit, but I think him and Mike really like to see a fat sailor working hard.

Jordon and Brad were feeling the altitude some so we took plenty of breathers. We were soon headed right at the peak with Richard leading Mike and Brad while I helped pace Jordon. The J-Dog got his second wind and the pacing soon helped him catch the group just as the snow started. It soon cleared for us as we hit the summit and touch the block. After signing in, taking pics and eating some all were ready to head for a burger.

I don't remember the name of the route we took down, but it doesn't mess around. It's straight down and dumps you off on the MT below LPL. Since it was raining/snowing we skipped the slabs variation but hit the old trail at the sign.

Doug and Earlean were off enjoying their special day, but those crazy climbing kids took great care of us at the store. After burgers (and Mike's double hotdog order) Richard brought out a birthday present. The boy received his first ice axe! I think that means Richard considers him a mountaineer now. With a little training I think he'll be fine in the snow...................................................DUG

Pics are here (Brad's are at the end): Thor Peak - Mike's Birthday

RichardP also has great pics on his site.

Re: Birthday Boy goes to Thor Peak....
DUG #8359 10/17/10 10:55 PM
Rod Offline
Great TR. Thanks Glad Mike had a good BD hike.Glad the weather didn't cause any real serious problems.

Link Copied to Clipboard