Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Trip Report of MWMT Day Hike on Thursday, July 21st
#16732 07/25/11 10:41 AM
D
OP Offline
D
This report is for conditions on Thursday, July 21st.

Our group of four (including a 13 year old) summited on the 21st on a day permit via the MWMT. Two of us were on Diamox since Tuesday. BTW, three of the four in our group summited last year on July 8th... with me being the one who didn't summit. I got AMS last year and turned around with two switchbacks to go to Trail Crest.

We started at 3am via the Old Trail. We decided to do the Old Trail after a scouting hike Tuesday afternoon to Lone Pine Lake. Even though it's a few degrees steeper it's easy hiking, shaves about half a mile each way, and you reduce the chances of getting water in your boots down to ZERO as it comes out at the woodden sign just past the North Fork crossing of Lone Pine Creek. You run a good chance to get water in your boots in the dark with the current snowmelt. I took a photo of where the Old Trail starts with my other camera... will try to post it later.

We entered the Whitney Zone at 4:30am. Water level at the logs crossing below Lone Pine Lake was not an issue. Same goes for the rock hopping around Outpost Camp. Use your poles for balance in case you slip on the wet rocks.

We saw the sun rise at 5:56am and the fabulous Alpenglow that comes with it on a clear day.

We made it to Trailside Meadow at 6:15am.

I recall at least three to four small snow fields above/around Trailside Meadow. Some longer, some shorter, but all are easily passable w/ poles for the average outdoors type folk. I'll qualify that by saying that I have very little snow-hiking experience and was born w/o the risk gene. I'm from Puerto Rico and left the island at age 22... didn't see snow fall until age 30... my comfort level around snow is still close to none at age 48. There is one field a little steeper and slushier than the others, but it's nothing to worry about with poles... if you happen to lose your footing there and slip you might bang up a knee or your behind, but most likely just your ego. I did not see any dead-end snow paths above Trailside Meadows (there were more than a few on my failed summit attempt on July 8th last year).

We made it to Trail Camp around 7:15am. A good amount of snow remains half around the lake, but there was no ice on the surface. Last year we had to break a thin layer of ice to filter water. We filtered water here. Each adult carried 1 gallon to the summit. There was only one more spot to get water after Trail Camp... there is a spring somewhere around switchback #20. Even carrying a gallon, I ran out of water halfway down the switchbacks on the return. Plan accordingly. We left Trail Camp at 7:40am.

Now to the topic of highest interest... the cables and switchbacks. Up the switchbacks there were 2-3 corners where I had to scramble up the rocks because of snow. I'm somewhat uncoordinated so I took off my poles and went hand over hand. It was easy going. I made it to the cables at 8:35am. The cables are almost 100% free of snow. I cannot convey how happy I was to see this after my terrifying crossing last year on a ledge of 6-12" or rock while suffering AMS. As you approach the cables, there is snow covering the switchback so you'll have to scramble up the rocks to get to the cables. On the last step you actually pull yourself up using the end of the cable. I took my poles off in both directions and went hand over hand w/o issues. Just be careful.

After the cables it's easy trekking until you get to the last of the switchbacks where there are two snow fields just below Trail Crest. The first was scary for me, but well trodden. I did it w/o my micro spikes on the way up, but put them on on the way down for a little re-assurance. I took the below photo after crossing it.

The snow field on the last switchback before Trail Crest was SCARY for me... I used my micro spikes and made it across w/o problems. I saw people crossing with NO poles. Photos below are from both ends. As you can see in the middle photo the last few feet are the worse as there is no trench to protect your steps. I'd strongly recommend you have two poles if you're not confident around snow. I held one short (mountain side) and used it to pull myself in towards the mountain and kept the other one long to keep against the drop. Do not look down... focus on your feet and the next step. Do not look up ahead... it will take however long it takes you to get across... some people took their time while others breezed through. I took my time in both directions!

I made it to Trail Crest at 10:10am and about 15 minutes ahead of the rest of my group. BTW, we didn't see anyone coming up the chute... everyone was travelling through the switchbacks.

The strong winds from earlier in the week had died down by Thursday, still it was cold enough to wear my wind/rain jacket past Trail Crest. From there on we were treated with amazing (and sometimes intimidating) views all the way to the summit. I found two to three uncomfortable spots on the west ridge... the first window and two spots where rock falls made the trail footing only a foot wide... again, I held on to the rocks over those two crossings. Having done the two snow fields at Trail Crest I'll say the snow field on the west face below the summit was significantly longer, but much less worrysome. Watch out for the rocks half way up and for post holing. I used the microspikes on the way down.

I summited at 12:30pm after 9:30 hours total hiking plus stop time. The last 200ft gain felt endless. There were at least 15-20 other people at the summit. Some people's phones were working so I got to make a call to my wife from the summit. My thanks again to the guy who lent me his cell phone... much appreciated! I found the summit surprisingly flat.

We had lunch at the summit and hung around for about thirty minutes and started our descent at 1:00pm. At 2:15-2:30pm there were still people coming up the ridge towards the summit. The descent is a little rough on the knees, especially between Trail Camp down to Mirror Lake. We were off the trail at 7:20pm... so about a 6:20 hour descent including stop time.

If interested, you can see the complete Flickr photo set at, http://www.flickr.com/photos/doncoqui/sets/72157627270039954/with/5970024303/ (the first 30 or so photos are pre-hike photos meant for family and friends).

Lessons learned & confirmed,

- drink, drink, drink... eat, eat, eat.
- turn around if you get AMS symptoms. The mountain is not going anywhere anytime soon. We saw more than a few people who got AMS and were either stopped or had turned around.
- take no less than 3 liters up the switchbacks. You'll need that and maybe more.
- bring two poles and micro spikes if you have them and need reassurance.
- bring a thin jacket to keep the wind out.
- maintain your focus on the way down.

All in all it was a tremendous experience. Thanks to all those who posted TRs and photos of current conditions in the last few weeks. Your posts were essential in preparing for the hike!

Regards & good luck,
Luis

Last edited by DonCoqui; 07/25/11 10:50 AM.
Re: Trip Report of MWMT Day Hike on Thursday, July 21st
DonCoqui #16734 07/25/11 10:45 AM
B
B
Great and accruate TR. Well done.

Brent

Brent N #16736 07/25/11 10:56 AM
Rod Offline
Great TR and the pictures are worth a thousand words.

DonCoqui #16737 07/25/11 10:57 AM
T
T
Hello Luis,
one comment about your water intake. And granted, I am no expert and only repeating what was suggested to me (and that worked)...

My first time going up the switchbacks I brought 3 liters and I drank two liters just getting to trail crest. I drank the third liter going from trail crest down to the spring on the switchbacks. (obviously I didn't summit that year).

One of the whitney veterans suggested that the issue wasn't as much thirst as it was dry mouth. He suggested sucking on a piece of hard candy (jolly rancher). I'm not sure if that is to keep your mouth salivating or to keep your mouth closed so that you aren't mouth breathing as much, thereby causing the dry mouth.

Last year I did the hard candy thing and it worked beautifully. I drank one liter going from the spring on the switchbacks to the summit and one liter on the way back.

tdtz #16739 07/25/11 11:09 AM
D
OP Offline
D
tdtz,
I was told about the candy, but passed on the idea as I tend to have sugar drops when eating sweets before a hefty protein-loaded lunch.

tdtz #16742 07/25/11 02:15 PM
H
H
Originally Posted By: tdtz
One of the whitney veterans suggested that the issue wasn't as much thirst as it was dry mouth. He suggested sucking on a piece of hard candy (jolly rancher).

Last year I did the hard candy thing and it worked beautifully. I drank one liter going from the spring on the switchbacks to the summit and one liter on the way back.

Agree. There was a post here recently by a guy who drank and drank and drank - said his wife told him she had never seen him pee so much. He STILL thought he was dehydrated! Nope, just dry mouth and nose from hyperventilating that 10% humidity Southern Sierra thin air.

I took just one quart last August from Guitar Lake to summit to Trail Camp. Granted, it was cool at 4am start, and importantly I was well -hydrated to begin with in camp, but it was all I needed. Your mileage may vary.

Harvey Lankford #16744 07/25/11 03:50 PM
Rod Offline
I like the water bladder with mouth piece.That way you can contiously wet the mouth and sip very little amounts slowly.If you keep guzzling you are bound to run out. Harvey is so right about the 10% humidity making your mouth dry without really being dehydrated.

Rod #16745 07/25/11 04:38 PM
D
OP Offline
D
I find that when I'm drinking water w/ electrolytes I drink at least 25-30% less. I typically use Cytomax. Again, the problem for me is the added sugar in the mix. I have to balance out the sugar with protein (cheese or jerky). I favor the small Baby Bel cheese and Turkey Jerky from Trader Joe's. Along those lines, I've started making my own salmon jerky, which I took on two training hikes up San Jacinto Mt and up to Whitney.

All that said, I had Cytomax in my bladder when I started at the Old Trailhead and drank only 1.5 liters on my way up to Trail Camp. I didn't add any Cytomax when I re-filled at Trail Camp and drank four liters over 3.5 miles to the summit and down (stopped to pee three times). Also, I have braces and thus conciously strive to keep my mouth closed... otherwise, the dryness cuts up everything inside.

Nevertheless, thanks for the advice... will try at the next hiking opportunity.

Luis

DonCoqui #16747 07/25/11 05:16 PM
T
T
Luis,
interestingly, I have similar issues with sugar. Yesterday I had a dessert after lunch and then started driving home from Vegas. I had to pull over and take a nap after about 30min as my sugar level dropped and I was falling asleep. Same thing with meetings. I have to make sure that I don't eat or drink any sugar before a meeting otherwise I literally cannot keep my eyes open. Fortunately for me, when I am doing something active, I don't notice the sugar drops.

Having a son with braces, I can understand why you might not want hard candies near them.

Tom

Last edited by tdtz; 07/25/11 05:17 PM.
DonCoqui #16748 07/25/11 06:23 PM
H
H
Great TR and photos! I am a friend of Dave's and was so happy to come across this post! Congratulations! I am so happy to hear you all did so well.

hjcatch #16796 07/26/11 07:30 PM
D
OP Offline
D
Thank you HJ... we had a blast. David inspired me to try again this year. After my failed attempt last summer I had to make sure I had enough miles in my legs to make it up and down. I hiked 80 miles w/ 25,000 ft gain/loss in the eight weeks preceding Whitney... add a little Diamox and some really superb weather and voila... I found myself signing my name on the register at the hut.

David is a really great guy! One of a kind.

DonCoqui #16797 07/26/11 07:51 PM
Thank you for posting all your times in your TR. My friends and I generally spend two to three nights on the mountain, but the newest hiker to our group hates to sleep on the ground and keeps saying we should do it all in one day. I can't imagine doing this hike in one day like you did. Kudos for getting it done in less than 24 hrs. Your photos are wonderful, especially the one on the backside showing the hiker heading down the trail away from the summit. I love the contrast between all the rock and jagged peaks at the windows against the blue sky...very nice.

Lynnaroo
DonCoqui #16798 07/26/11 08:53 PM
Bee Offline
Originally Posted By: DonCoqui
tdtz,
I was told about the candy, but passed on the idea as I tend to have sugar drops when eating sweets before a hefty protein-loaded lunch.

I have the same problem with sugar, so I use the all-natural mini fruit rolls when doing tasks like the switchbacks. The combination of the tart/fruit really wets the mouth with no sugary aftertaste.

The body betrays and the weather conspires, hopefully, not on the same day.
Bee #16807 07/27/11 07:39 AM
D
OP Offline
D
@lynn-a-roo: you're welcome and thanks for the compliments! It's a very doable one-day hike. I did two 16-mile training hikes peaking at 10,800ft and a handful of 12-14 milers in lower altitude. I found the biggest challenge was the elevation as it slows you down a bit.

@bee: where do you buy them? I'd like to give that a shot.

DonCoqui #16813 07/27/11 11:39 AM
N
Nei Offline
N
Thank you, Luis! Wonderful pictures and great report.

Happy Trails!

Always happy to meet new hiking friends.
Bee #17063 08/02/11 06:35 PM
D
OP Offline
D
Does anyone happen to have any photos of what's left of the snow fields at the last 2-3 switchbacks before Trail Crest following the weekend storms?

Thanks,
Luis

Link Copied to Clipboard