Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 219 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Mt Williamson and Tyndall - Aug 6/7
#17366 08/09/11 06:02 PM
B
Burchey
Unregistered
Burchey
Unregistered
B
I randomly hooked up with Dave G. for a tough run up Mt. Williamson and Tyndall - two 14ers normally accessed by way of Shepherds Pass. There is a lot of up and down on this one.

Specs:

Night one>> Stopped in at the Portal to chat with Doug. Slept around 9000 feet in the secret spot near Onion Valley.

Day one>> head out from the trailhead around 6300 feet (530am-ish), climb up the rib (not the ridge) to just over 14,000 feet at the summit of Tyndall, bust the knuckles, and then back down to the base of the rib. Probably 12 miles or so travel.

Night two>> spent around 12,200 feet behind a rock

Day two>> head out from the base of Tyndall's North Rib around 545am, find a route across the bowl, and up to the summit of Williamson at 14,375. Touch knuckles again and then shuffle all the way back down to the pass and out to the car at 6300. Probably 15 miles or so travel.

Night three>> dropped Dave at his place, arrived in San Diego 530am - clean/sleep - woke up for work at 8 am.

Approximate totals:

Elevation gained - 11,500ish?

Mileage - 27ish?

Total sleep for 3 nights - 7 to 8 hours

Highlights of the Trip:

Weather - Perfect

Water crossings - Dave is such a badass, he just strolls through them and lets the water sort it out. Water was low enough for me to hop from stone to stone and avoid wet feet.

Snow crossings - Nothing better than pretending you're sad you left the crampons/axe at home while crossing random steep snow patches. "We're gonna die!" "I know I said we're gonna die on the last one, but I really really mean it this time!!!!" It's almost as good as picking up small stones the size/shape of a cigarette lighter just in case you need to try and self-arrest. We're a couple of dorks.

Rabbits - we hit one with my car

Not sleeping - between the cold feet, Dave's history of sleeping poorly at altitude, thin sleeping pads, and flapping nylon - not much sleep was had. There's a reason people stick their feet in their pack for an unplanned bivy. It's a last resort. Lesson learned.

Diamox - this is the strongest I've been up high so far, and I think the big D had something to do with it. I haven't exercised or been up high in over a month, so this was a big surprise.

Routefinding in the Williamson bowl - this was tricky on the way across, and tiring both ways. We headed down closer to the base of Tyndall and had to traverse above the lake to gain the connecting ridge. Lots of boulders and scree. Lots of up and down.

Trail Mix - Dave decided it was happier all over the floor of my car at 3 am on the way back than it was in its little plastic bag. Thanks Dave.

Hallucinating - we were so tired on the way back to the car that I was seeing trees close in on me like marching soldiers in the beam of my headlamp. I think Dave was worried.

Going light - we left a lot behind. I would normally bring more padding for my back and a sleeping bag, for example.

Crossing Paths - Tina, James, and Ryan were coming down from Williamson as we were going up the chute.

Teamwork - ran into a few other souls with different issues ( fear, nausea, lack of beta, etc ) - support was given.

Levis - Seems to be more and more people climbing mountains in them these days. I think Doug started something...

Rubber - 5.10 approach shoes LOVE the granite slabs.

Self Trundling - enough said

MORE PICS HERE

Re: Mt Williamson and Tyndall - Aug 6/7
#17370 08/09/11 06:59 PM
C
C
Wow, what a great weekend you guys had. Thanks for posting and for the photos too.

John

#17372 08/09/11 07:52 PM
A
A
Dude, why are you constantly doing my plans months in advance all the time?

Diamox- started using it this year and love the thing.

Hallucinating- I experienced that once last November on Whitney. I thought the soles of Dolbybear's boots was a snake running in circles as we were nearing the Portal. Lack of sleep + fatigue will do that to you.

Teamwork- good karma!

Levis- I'll stick to my khakis.

Oh well, at least I've had trench foot before and you haven't. laugh

Anonymous1 #17380 08/10/11 05:50 AM
B
Burchey
Unregistered
Burchey
Unregistered
B
Atari, not sure why. You're too slow? Haha. We need to head up there soon, represent San Diego in the Palisades or something. Let me know if you've got anything cooking.

#17388 08/10/11 08:01 AM
K
K
Where did you buy the Diamox?

Kenneth Durham
Ken Durham #17390 08/10/11 09:00 AM
B
Burchey
Unregistered
Burchey
Unregistered
B
My friend had some leftover from Kilamanjariruruuru, or however you spell it. She hooked me up. 125mg twice a day.

Ken Durham #17400 08/10/11 03:06 PM
S
S
Ken D: Diamox is a prescription drug. Just see your doctor and ask for the prescription. Watch the dose though, because it is officially for glaucoma, and the dosage is way higher, and can cause side effects.

Steve C #17405 08/10/11 03:51 PM
B
Burchey
Unregistered
Burchey
Unregistered
B
Ken, also keep in mind the recommended dosage may be too much. I'm 6'2", 190 lbs, and 125mg twice a day seemed perfect. Of course, our bodies all react a little differently to drugs irrespective of body size, but that might give you an idea.

#17409 08/10/11 04:35 PM
Burchey, enjoyed the TR - sounds like a good time was had by all, despite the lack of sleep. I get the sense you really have fun when you hit the mountains, regardless of obstacles and discomfort, and that's what it's all about. Good stuff, man!

Sorry 'bout the bunny. I have a new appreciation for the wild rabbits in the Sierra after hiking down from Cathedral Peak last month. Bob Pickering and I ran across the biggest damn jackrabbit I've ever seen - by a couple of magnitudes - about a quarter mile from Tuolumne Meadows. He was in the trail and seemed totally unconcerned about us, even though we were less than 20 feet away. We admired him for a couple of minutes and then, when he showed no inclination to move along on his own, we walked straight toward him. He hopped a couple of feet to let us pass, scowling at us the whole time. There'd be an insurance claim it if you hit this particular thumper with your car.

#17415 08/10/11 07:24 PM
A
A
Originally Posted By: Burchey
Atari, not sure why. You're too slow? Haha. We need to head up there soon, represent San Diego in the Palisades or something. Let me know if you've got anything cooking.

LOL, I AM slow, no joke!!! The Palisades? Depends, I've been to Agassiz, but if you're talking about something like Thunderbolt, I don't think I'm ready yet. I've got to hit up Russell first and take on Langley via Tuttle Creek, then I'll move to the Palisades.

We'll represent America's Finest City together one day soon! I have to get in better shape though.

Last edited by 2600fromatari; 08/10/11 07:24 PM.
Anonymous1 #17426 08/11/11 05:42 AM
B
Burchey
Unregistered
Burchey
Unregistered
B
Bulldog, you're right - I do have a blast, and although I take the situation itself seriously, I don't take myself seriously. I think that helps. On the rabbit - when we stopped at a gas station later that night/morning, Dave noticed my side signal hanging by the wire...popped out when the rabbit bounced off the bumper, I guess. Must have been quite a force.

Atari, you let me know. I'm not in great shape by any stretch.

#17446 08/11/11 12:53 PM
J
J
Congratulations to you and Dave for a great trip! It really was a great weekend.

#17837 08/26/11 11:49 AM
K
K
Hey Adam,

How much weight can you carry with the approach shoes?

Kenneth Durham
Ken Durham #17838 08/26/11 12:20 PM
B
Burchey
Unregistered
Burchey
Unregistered
B
Originally Posted By: Ken Durham
Hey Adam,

How much weight can you carry with the approach shoes?

Good question. I think it depends on the shoe. My shoes are pretty comfortable, but they aren't the most comfortable I've worn. However, they are sticky like hell. I love that. I'd guess my pack to be under 20 pounds with food - it looked pretty full, but it was a lot of lightweight bulk like my closed cell pad, down jacket, etc. This is a long trip, so consider the pounding your feet will take over all those miles. Ankle support really wasn't an issue, just proper support underneath and padding, I would say. That's what will hurt you towards the end of the trip.

#17889 08/29/11 05:01 AM
K
K
thanks for the info on the shoes...I'm heading that way on Weds. Should I take a bear vault for the cridders or will a sack be good enough?

Kenneth Durham
Ken Durham #17894 08/29/11 05:50 AM
B
Burchey
Unregistered
Burchey
Unregistered
B
We did just fine with OP sacks, it's a good idea to keep them hidden as well. It's not just the smell that lures these guys, I don't believe.

#17896 08/29/11 05:59 AM
K
K
Thanks!

Kenneth Durham

Link Copied to Clipboard