Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 200 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Evolution Loop 2012
#25272 06/21/12 06:53 AM
D
OP Offline
D
We left the trail head from South lake 2:45 AM headed for Bishop pass. For that time of night it was warm really warm, I knew it was going to be a tough day . We made it to the pass in 2 hrs flat , so we started our decent into Dusy basin headed for Laconte canyon, then for the second pass of the day... Muir pass. It was now 7AM as we started the long 8 miles of climbing for Muir pass. Laconte canyon was magical and alive with lots of deer, as we made our ascend for the pass we passed several through hikers, making their way towards the pass as well. We made Muir pass at 9:45AM still making good time we had a quick snack ,the goal was to only break for a max of 5 min every 10 miles, so off we went. It was beautiful and for a small moment I wished I was through hiking the PCT that would mean i could take off the pack and lounge for awhile, not the case though so we started our descent into the Evolution Valley, 15.2 miles to the San Jauquin river bridge.
We made a fast descent as the goal was to be at the muir bridge by 4:00PM, when we got to Evolution creek we had lunch 15 min and off we went, running the whole way from the pass to muir bridge, as we arrived at the bridge we were ahead of schedule by over an hour - perfect time to rest right? But NO we had 17.5 to Paiute pass!
We had covered 37 miles and it was HOT blazing hot, we started upwards for Paiute pass with the goal to be there no later than 7:30 , this meant keeping a 3 mile an hour average pace, after already covering 37 miles. Any one who knows this section will tell you it is steep and super hot.. This was our lowest point of the day at 8,000' so we start upwards one more time, we kept our pace strong. now the heat had me feeling like I wish i was through hiking as it would have been a perfect place by the creek to sit and RELAX , not so lucky keep drinking water and breathe as this is when the fun starts! there were no more conversations... it was head down and push, we made our goal of 7:30 PM on the money at Paiute pass.
We were both suffering with super sore feet, but again we put our heads down and made the descent from Paiute pass down to North lake where we had our car waiting.
We got to the car with an elapsed time 18:25. Moving time was 16:45. Our average moving speed was 3.2miles an hour, our average pace 2.9 for the day. 54 miles, three passes, 10,542 of elevation gain and loss and some super duper sore feet, and one hell of a good day!
It was special to us both as this was the date 3 years ago when i was lying in a hospital bed in critical condition from my motorcycle accident Thank youTracy for all your support and coaching could never be where I am without you..... Whitney tomorrow after a day of rest .. By the way all passes are clear of snow and perfect to pass over.....

MW85

Last edited by mountainwalker85; 06/21/12 04:15 PM.
Re: Evolution Loop 2012
Davey McCoy #25274 06/21/12 08:40 AM
S
S
Oh ... my ... gosh!!!! 50 miles through the Sierra in a day?!!!

Let's see... It took me THREE days just to do the JMT part of that hike! That's a good 5-day hike for normal people.

Davey McCoy #25278 06/21/12 09:11 AM
Bee Offline
I think that Triple is in the near future...

Either of you tried the Western States ultra run?

The body betrays and the weather conspires, hopefully, not on the same day.
Davey McCoy #25279 06/21/12 09:26 AM
MW, again, I'm just astounded at the pace the two of you maintain, and the endurance you have. This type of long-distance uber-hiking can really only be done by a very select few. Maintaining a 3-plus mph pace over 54 high-elevation miles, with a crushing 10.5K' of gain, is just incredible. Throw in the bike accident, and it's even more mind-boggling. Congrats on what appears to be a full recovery!

If I can keep up a 3 mph pace over 6 miles and 2K', I'm happy. After 6 miles, I slow down to about 2 mph. After 10 or 12 . . . well, it's granny gear on the uphills and not much zoom left for the downhills. And that's at much lower elevations than you two regularly tackle.

Love your TRs - keep 'em coming! Bee's right - a MW triple is doable for you. I don't recall having heard that it was ever done before. Doubles in good weather are extremely rare. I still think you two could knock out the JMT in a long weekend with the right plan and supply logistics.

Bee #25282 06/21/12 12:18 PM
D
OP Offline
D
Bee

Tracy my partner is a very accomplished Ultra Marathon runner.
In her prime she was on op of the podium most all events,I always love looking at her belt buckles from those days..It validates how amazing she really is in the world of pushing ones self to the limit,or max however you view it...
Then a shattered ankle sorta took her out of racing, she was a third place finisher in the bad water run and raced on the national Patagonia Ultra team,so yes as she says standing here Western states is easier , she thinks the triple day on Whitney is possible i THINK Serious suffering, however if she says we go, well then i guess we go..

MW85

Davey McCoy #25290 06/21/12 01:48 PM
S
S
Please continue the WTriple conversation in the other thread:

Whitney Triple

Link Copied to Clipboard