Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 200 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
In Five Years’ Time: The Return to the Grand Adventure
#27354 08/29/12 06:04 PM
OP Offline
It was a simple concept, really: retrace the steps of a trip that led to my falling madly and deeply in love with the Sierra Nevada, brought me to pick up my life and start anew at the foot of these magnificent mountains.

Not so simple a concept: how to convey adequate thanks to all of those who have taken the time to teach me so much over the past five years.

The only thing that felt the same was the pack, resting heavy on my hips and shoulders. I guess I'll never learn that trick of going light. "What the hell have you got in here, Laura?" Rob demanded as I flopped the Beast on the floor of the Crabtree Ranger Cabin.

A 15 day walkabout, following my route along the High Sierra Trail to the west, north into Kings Canyon via Elizabeth Pass, then back to the Kern via Colby Pass over the Great Western Divide. No resupply, despite the offers of friends to meet me. I needed my time alone, I thought.

I was wrong.

Friendly faces of those I passed on the trail, a few minutes of conversation. Getting a new trail name on day two from another tall, strong woman striding solo through these tall and thin places. Learning the touching story of a mother and son trekking slowly to Precipice Lake: she living her "pipe dream" by putting one foot in front of the other and her son making it come true by hiking his pack half a mile up the trail, then returning for hers. Receiving trail telegrams from good friends half a day ahead, and catching them at Colby Lake, only to be introduced to another Sierra legend and his family as well, then laughing under the full moon late into the night.

Cautiously stepping up loose slopes to reach slabby and broken faces, the occasional cairn to keep me in the right chute. Sand between boulders for sliding back down fast to outrun a storm that never came. Dunking and swimming out into deep, sapphire waters with a gasp and laughter, then melting into afternoon rocks, spreading my hair to dry in the light breezes. Trading glances with a young buck, antlers still in velveteen; watching the baby bear trundle across the rocks and wonder where mama is hiding. Jumping clear of the trail at the rattle of one big snake, then cautiously turning at the warning hiss of the next.

When I returned from this trip five years ago, Ken insisted I was a mountaineer. "All I did was walk a trail, Ken. Mountaineers do SO much more…" I couldn't bring myself to allow that title to be bestowed. I was too new, I had no idea what I was doing.

It was the start of an incredible ride, and it doesn't seem to be slowing down.

Thank goodness.

My journal is full of notes and pages of wandering thoughts. Slowly, I'll weave them together into the [url=http://moosetracksca.wordpress.com/]story[/url] of my journey. There are entirely too many [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/moosepics621/collections/72157631311288912/]pictures[/url] from the two cameras I took along (not taking any chances this time).

I gave myself the gift of time, and used it roaming what is now sacred ground for me.

"To lovers of the wild, these mountains are not a hundred miles away. Their spiritual power and the goodness of the sky make them near, as a circle of friends. ... You cannot feel yourself out of doors; plain, sky, and mountains ray beauty which you feel. You bathe in these spirit-beams, turning round and round, as if warming at a camp-fire. Presently you lose consciousness of your own separate existence: you blend with the landscape, and become part and parcel of nature."
John Muir (1838 - 1914)

As I say at the end of the video, I can't wait to see what this road has in store for me next.

From the luckiest girl in the world,
Climb Hard. Be Safe.

-L

Laura's Grand Adventure: The Return from Laura Molnar on Vimeo.

Facebook

Flickr Pics

Think outside the Zone.
Re: In Five Years’ Time: The Return to the Grand Adventure
MooseTracks #27355 08/29/12 06:57 PM
Moosie, Moosie - words fail me!

Verum audaces non gerunt indusia alba. - Ipsi dixit MCMLXXII
wagga #27357 08/29/12 07:46 PM
R
R
Inspirational!!! I love the vid.

MooseTracks #27362 08/30/12 12:18 AM
S
S
The video by itself is... a work of art. So many pretty places.

Thank you!!!          :thanks:

MooseTracks #27364 08/30/12 04:25 AM
As usual, Laura, an excellent narrative with lots of eye candy. Your enthusiasm is contagious and it's evident that you are on a life-long mission now. Can't wait to see where this journey takes you!

MooseTracks #27365 08/30/12 05:12 AM
S
S
Awesome, you are one of the luckiest girls in the world...very nice photos...

mark

MooseTracks #27367 08/30/12 08:18 AM
I seem to be at a loss of words, other than... [size:14pt] [/size] [color:#000099][b]WOW!![/b][/color]

Last edited by Steve C; 09/22/12 10:21 AM.

The Mountains are calling and I must go - John Muir
mrshherrera #27372 08/30/12 10:59 AM
B
B
Touching! Thank you, Laura.

Brent N

MooseTracks #27374 08/30/12 02:14 PM
I am so impressed with your presentation. (and I must say jealous)
Congratulations on your accomplishments. Can't wait to hear about the next five years.

Tina - A REAL Orange County Housewife (Okay so I don't stay home)
MooseTracks #27386 08/31/12 06:22 AM
Yawn.... sleep....snort....cackle..

Just kidding... grin

Two thumbers like! like!

Like the Forrest Gump soundtrack... thanks

Journey well...
+ @ti2d #27389 08/31/12 07:17 AM
OP Offline
Thanks, all!! When I started planning the trip this time, it was an amazing experience, more of which I'll talk about in the story-line. The journey fulfilled every expectation I had, and then some.

While I'm broke at the moment from not working for a month, I will never say I regret my decision to give myself the gift of time. I may never have the opportunity to go on such an excursion again, and I'm over the moon at how this one turned out.

Now, off to pack for this weekend's adventure!!

-L

Facebook

Flickr Pics

Think outside the Zone.
MooseTracks #27408 09/01/12 07:53 AM
B
B
Beautiful report, Laura. Just keep putting one foot in front of the other, and when you are in your seventies (like me) you'll still be trucking along.

Thanks for showing us another non-Whitney area...

MooseTracks #27458 09/04/12 11:32 AM
Fabulous! And what a wonderful way to capture a journey. Both inner and outer.

Akichow #27885 09/21/12 12:11 AM
A
ape Offline
A
Awesome video as usual Laura. You are now obviously hopelessly addicted. Don't worry though as you will never see all of the Sierra in a lifetime although you are sure trying. I just got back from a week trip out of Horseshoe Meadows and I saw someone with a huge pack and they had on an orange coat. For a second I thought it might be you out with your flex trek 37 trillion pack. Loved the photos and it's making me want to feed my addiction one more time this summer.

Apeman

Link Copied to Clipboard