Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Belated Trip Report from Last Sept
#37939 06/25/14 06:45 AM
C
OP Offline
C
Greetings everyone, i've lurked here long enough and thought I'd post a trip report from last sept.

Whitney Day Hike Picks 9-12-2011

Used this site last summer to brush up on the current goings on with whitney since the last and only time I had been on whitney was on 9/11/01; which was a 2 night/3 day backpacking trip with my dad. Boy have things changed since then!

My cousin had asked me if I wanted to go with her on a day hike to the summit. She tried for the first time last August but her and the group she was with gone turned back by severe weather about .5 miles from the summit. Unfortunately she had to cancel at the last minute due to work so I figured i'd give it a try. I had done some long day hikes the last couple summers around the bishop area with decent elevation gain as well so felt pretty confident in my ability to do this. Still, it was a lot of elev and a lot of miles so wasn't completely sure how I would fare.

My cousin and I are planning to do it again this coming sept., can't wait!

stats(summary) from my gps log:

Ascent:
On Trail: 458am
Lone Pine Lake Junction (3.0 mi): 557am
Mirror Lake (4.5 mi): 636am 2.6mph avg
Trail Camp (6.3 mi): 740am 2.3mph avg

Filter water & short break: 30 min.

Leave Trail Camp: 810am
Trail Crest 13,610’ (8.5 mi): 920am
Summit 14,496’ (11.0 mi): 1048am

Trailhead to TC: 2hrs 46min 2.3mph avg
Trailhead to summit: 5hrs 48min

Leave Summit: 1120am

Descent
Trail Crest: 1228
Trail Camp: 1325
Filter water & break: 25min
Leave TC 1350
Mirror Lake: 1425
Lone Pine Lake:1520
Trailhead: 1611
Back at Car: 1615

total time 11hrs 20 minutes.

I didn't have enough water to last from trail camp to summit and back to trail camp. Next time I'll bring more!

The trip report:

I Left the house at 315 am and was on the trail at 5am. This was my second time summiting, but first as a day hike. Total car to car time was 11hr 20min. Since the previous days weather was ominous and more forecasted, I hustled to the top and summited at 1045am. It was pretty easy and the miles went very quickly to trail camp (12,039’, mi 6.3). The clouds started forming fairly early and kept the sun from warming things up. With a stiff breeze it was chilly. Looking at the summit above trail camp, I figured it could be cold there if it started raining.

The beat down started at the switchbacks, which end at trail crest (13,777’, mi 8.5). The elevation and being able to see the destination pretty much the whole way make it a long slog! I’m not sure which is worse going down or up them-they seem to take forever either way!!

Finally making my way to trail crest I hastily took a couple pics and headed off towards the summit, hoping to make time. My hopes of making up time along the west side of the crest were woefully optimistic! My memory of this portion of the trail seems to be a bit lacking in detail as I remembered it to be fairly easy and straight forward run to the summit. Well, that was a jaded memory, it was much more narrow and rocky and not a straight line to the summit; and more switch- backs! On top of that it had lightly snowed the night before leaving just a dusting of snow in the shadows and north side of the mtn. My pace slowed to a crawl as I carefully made my way over partially snow-covered granite. Now this isn’t a technical trail by any means, but there’s a few places that at momentary loss of coordination might cause a painful fall or… Let’s just say one should give the trail and mountain some respect and give it your full attention in a few places.

Fortunately that didn’t last long and the ominous clouds that were over the summit had all but disappeared leaving blue skies and a welcome warmth. This last two plus miles from trail crest to the summit seem to take an eternity - waiting in line at the dmv without a reservation pales in comparison! Everything and everyone slows down above 13,000’, at least some of my hiking and climbing friends nod in agreement, maybe they’re just being nice. Once above 14,000’, just below the summit, legs are screaming to stop and I swear I was sucking air through a straw!

I willed myself up the backside of the summit where things are fairly level and much easier on the legs. Enjoyed the smokeless 360o views and snapped a few pics. Seeing several people talking/playing with their phones I thought I would text my wife a message…or not. Even standing on THE rock to receive service I did not. Had I Verizon coverage, all would have been peachy keen, but I have ATT and all was not peachy keen! Oh well it would have to wait ‘til I got down to the valley-in a few hours.

Fortunately there were only 20 or so people up top. With more on the way, a blue sky which was filling with more clouds, and the recognition of 11 miles and 6000’ of foot pounding descent to go I downed some food and made a B line for the car.

The miles and elevation ticked by quickly. Getting to Trail Camp after passing through trail crest was torturously long. It didn’t help that I had run out of water way before then, hadn’t eaten enough, and those damn switchbacks go forever!

It was all good after getting some water and food at trail camp. Dark skies had formed over the crest and even sprinkled a bit at trail camp. With only six, yes count them, six miles and 4000’ feet to go ‘til the car. I pushed the thought of borrowing a tent or bivy for night for a luxurious layover, but I ignored that and pushed onto whitney portal.

All in all it was a great day to be in the sierra. I had some cloudy skies which fortunately didn’t amount to any adverse weather, not too many people on the trail, and put down a good pace and time without any altitude effects. Next time I’m take more water to the top and find some better trail shoes. Until next year….

Re: Belated Trip Report from Last Sept
Cory Freeman #37988 06/25/14 08:03 PM
S
S
Thanks for the trip report, Cory. Better late than never. Must be nice driving from home and starting up the trail in a couple of hours! wink

Your picture above is really good! Unfortunately, Flickr tells me your other pictures are marked as private, so we can't see them.

How long have you been running the BishopWeather web cam?

Re: Belated Trip Report from Last Sept
Steve C #37993 06/25/14 08:29 PM
C
OP Offline
C
ugh, sorry about the privacy settings on the photos and thanks for mentioning it. fixed it to public.

bishop weather has been up since '09

Link Copied to Clipboard