Next Thread
Print Thread
JMT Trip report 2008
#45763 04/13/16 05:53 PM
S
Steve C Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Just realized this trip report vanished from its original url. So posting it now -- from 8 years ago.

JMT Trip report 2008

From June 22 through June 28, 2008, Carolyn O and I hiked from Florence Lake, south along the John Muir Trail to Charlotte Lake, and then out to Roads End in Kings Canyon National Park.  For us it was a long and arduous hike, but the scenery, wildflowers and memories made it all worthwhile.

My goal of hiking the entire John Muir Trail is nearly complete.  I have day hiked the section between Yosemite Valley and Tuolumne Meadows, and on other trips, Tuolumne Meadows to Reds Meadow, and Onion Valley to Mt. Whitney.  All that is left now is the section between Reds Meadow (Devils Post Pile) and Muir Trail Ranch (Florence Lake).

We planned this year's hike to take a full 7 days, with 6 nights camping.  There are a few exit and re-entry passes along the way, but they are all on the eastern side of the Sierra.  Since we live in Fresno, the entrance at Florence and exit at Roads End in Kings Canyon National Park made the most sense.

Note that clicking on any of the pictures will give you an enlarged view of the picture.  To see all the pictures, click here.  If you view the entire photo album, there are lots of captions, so changing the style (upper right corner of the Smugmug screen) to "Journal" might be best.

Our hike began at Florence Lake.  We left Fresno early, timed to pick up wilderness permits at the Sierra National Forest High Sierra Visitor Center on Kaiser Pass Road right at 8 AM.  We had been told the Florence Lake ferry was operating every two hours beginning at 8:30 so we were in a hurry.  However, when we got to Florence, the ferry actually was running "on demand", and we were the first customers.

The drive in was an experience in itself.  Sunday morning, apparently lots of fishermen were pulling out and heading home.  We met a number of big pickups, some pulling boats, and even one guy pulling a house- trailer.  This is on a one-lane road, barely 8 feet wide in places.  I wonder if he ever thought what might happen if he met another person pulling the same thing.

At Florence Lake, we paid our $11 ferry fee, and were shortly transported from the end of the road to the far end of the lake, about three miles.  As we walked up the slope from the lake, we were committed to a week of walking long days through some of the finest scenery, and some of the most remote backcountry in the Sierra.

Mileage chart

Day   miles  elev. changes  
  1     13    +1900         Florence Lake to water crossing at Evolution meadow
  2     10.3  +1800         camp between Sapphire and Wanda Lakes
  3     11.8  +1000  -4000  to junction of Palisade creek and Middle
                             Fork Kings River
  4     11    +4100   -600  ended at first water after crossing
                              Mather Pass
  5      6    +2500  -2500  Side trip to Split Mountain
  5      8    -1500  +1100  From S. of Mather Pass to Lake Marjorie.  Also

6     16    -3600  +4000  Cross Pinchot Pass, past Rae Lakes 
  7     13     +500  -7000  end at Roads End (Cedar Grove)

Using the SPOT Satellite messenger
Two days before leaving on the hike, I decided it would be a good idea to get the latest high tech toy, a SPOT Satellite Messenger.  (Here's an on-line description/review.) We had fun using it, and it kept my wife and friends updated with our location.  It picks up our GPS location, and when I press a check-in button, sends a signal to a satellite with our location.  It can also issue a "send help" or a 9-1-1 emergency call, but we didn't need to use those.

I tried to send a check-in message several times a day, and most of the transmissions made it out.  Those that failed were sent while we were moving -- I kept the unit attached on top of my pack all the time, especially when there was some tree cover.  It does not send a check-in signal if it cannot get the GPS location.  (Sure wish it had some way to indicate that.) It is a cool toy, and I will take it every time I go on a trip now.

I sure hope they improve it so some sort of text message, or maybe at least a code could also be sent.  And I have seen where people have packed their unit inside their pack, and something accidentally sent a call for help message.  It needs a protective cover over the buttons.

I have saved the .kml file of my trip produced by the SPOT web site, and anyone can download it (here), in case you want to see how it works with Google Earth.

Water
Since becoming familiar with a well-known paper published by Robert Rockwell, PhD, titled "Giardia lamblia and Giardiasis With Particular Attention to the Sierra Nevada" and the findings of Robert W. Derlet, MD, of U.C. Davis, I no longer filter or treat the water in the Sierra backcountry.  Carolyn and I both drank lots of water at almost every stream, trying to keep the amount of water we needed to carry to a minimum.  I carried a Camelback bladder, but only used it one day.  And that could have easily been replaced with a plastic Gatorade bottle I carried.  Next time, I'll leave the bladder home -- it will save another 5 ounces.  Carolyn carried a 20 oz bottle of water, often half full, to get her through the dry places.  Only once in a while did I borrow a sip from her.

In many of the pictures, you can see my 2-cup aluminum cup hanging from my belt.  It was SO convenient to just dip and sip with it.

Flowers along the trail
An outstanding highlight of our trip was all the flowers we encountered.  Shooting Stars were by far the most abundant.  So many places, there were meadows with them growing by the hundreds.  And almost every time we hiked along hot dry trail, we would see a few Mariposa Lilies.  There were many more that I could not identify, and I wish I could have found the time to photograph all of them.

PCT Hikers
The first several days of our hike, we met maybe 20 PCT thru-hikers every day.  These are people hiking the Pacific Crest Trail from the California-Mexico border north to the Canadian border.  There were many solo hikers, and many pairs too, as well as a family of three.  They had hiked 800 miles to this point, and had 1800 yet to go by October.

Of those we talked to, many had taken on "trail names", like Jelly Bean, Moonshine, Razor and Grandpa Kilt.  This year, a few men were hiking in kilts.  What an amazing and hardy bunch!

Most PCT hikers seemed to be doing quite well.  For example, on our second evening, we were making camp high near Muir Pass.  Along came a 68 year old fellow.  He said he had crossed two passes, and wanted to "find forest duff before he quit".  He was hiking in wet, worn out trail runners and had a big grin.  He looked like he was ready for anything.

The most remarkable PCT hikers we met were Moonshine and Rosemary.  I had unfortunately left my prescription glasses by a stream when rinsing my socks, and then forgot them until we had hiked another mile or so.  The next hikers we came upon were this couple.  They agreed to pick up the glasses and drop them off at the next ranger station just over the next pass.  In talking to them, we found that they had just married prior to starting the PCT hike.  So this was their honeymoon hike.  What an amazing honeymoon!

I am happy to say that on July 9, I received a box in the mail containing the glasses -- just 12 days after I lost them.  Volunteer Ranger Pete Clum, who I spoke to at the Bench Lake ranger station, mailed them to me!

We came upon a less fortunate PCT hiker on our fourth day.  "Razor" was incapacitated by food poisoning, lying on his sleeping pad in his camp by the trail.  He apparently was too weak to get water, only 100 feet away.  He told us he thought he had allowed his salami to get too warm in the bear canister.  We gave him water -- he downed a 20 oz bottle as soon as I brought it to him -- filling all his containers, along with some extra food and some electrolyte tablets.  The ranger station was seven miles behind us, so hiking back was not the best option.  Instead, we notified the next north-bound hiker, Ipod, who said he knew Razor well.  He said he would check up on him and also carry the news to the ranger.  We are hoping Razor recovered and got back on his way.

Another hiker we met said he had just returned to the trail.  He was 63, and had been hiking with a partner who had gotten food poisoning.  After several days of diarrhea and vomiting, they hiked out over Taboose Pass and checked into the hospital in Bishop.  After several days there, the partner's blood pressure was still too low to return to hiking (107 over 50).  So he had abandoned the trip and went home.  That left the fellow we met to continue on alone.  We sure wish him the best.

Near the end of our hike, we met a few PCT stragglers -- farther south and a good ten days behind the first hikers we met.  A couple hiking too far apart.  several lone hikers with huge packs -- most of the earlier hikers had minimal gear, enabling them to hike light and fast.  I am left wondering how those are at the end are doing.

My side trip to Split Mountain, elev. 14,058'
Near the end of the fourth day, we crossed Mather Pass, and camped a ways off the trail to the east.  The next morning, I got up early, and hiked east on easy class 2 (pretty much an off-trail walk across open landscape) terrain to the saddle on the north side of Split Mountain.  I then turned southward and climbed the steeper slope to the summit.  It took me three hours to get to the top.  I then spent an hour fiddling around on the top: Calling my wife and a few friends, taking pictures, searching for and then signing the register.

There is a four-foot pyramid-like rock tower on the summit.  The register is actually hidden inside the base.  I finally spied it, and after pulling out several rocks, I could pull out the metal box so I could sign my name in the notebook inside.

Unfortunately the view from the summit was not the best.  During the week, over a hundred fires had been burning throughout California.  We had seen and even smelled the smoke during the prior days.  But from the top of the mountain, I could not see the Owens Valley, only 6 to 8 miles below.  But I took a few pictures anyway, and then hurried back down.

Getting back to camp only took two hours.  A highlight was the fish in the outlet of the lake I went by.  The outlet must be 50 feet wide, but is shallow, with nice boulders to hop all across the area.  In all those narrow channels, there were large trout, many about 10" long! If only I had the time to fish!

Meeting Rangers
We spotted the ranger's hut as we passed through the forest near McClure Meadow, so I wanted to have a look.  It turns out that ranger Bob Gordon was there, apparently just opening up things for the summer.  We enjoyed talking, and he named several rangers ahead, Dave Keenan, Pete Clum, and George Durkee.  We ran into Dave the next day, heading up to Muir Pass.  Pete Clum was at the Bench Lake trail junction, and George Durkee and his wife were stationed at Charlotte Lake.  I enjoyed talking with each of them at their respective sites.

Pack Weight
This year, I bought a 1.5 Lb GoLite Jam2 pack and a 2 Lb 15 degree down sleeping bag for the trip.  I am finding the older I get, the lighter weight I need to carry.  With all my gear and almost 14 Lbs of food, my pack started out at 32 Lbs.  So theoretically, it should have been only 18 Lbs the last day.  But not so.  I had more than a pound of food left over.  Next time, I need to pack less food -- maybe 1.75 Lb per day.

But the other weight issue was Carolyn's pack.  Hers was 38 Lbs, and she was carrying a full 33% of her total body weight on her back.  I think my pack was under 20% of my weight.  Carolyn did ok on flat ground, but as soon as we started climbing, her pack weight became a big problem.  So I picked up her tent and mattress pad and carried them for most of the trip.  I don't think we could have completed the trip otherwise.

Next time, Carolyn should carry no more than 1.5 Lbs per day, and cut back on some of the extra things she did not need.  I think, since it affects my hiking, too, I'll be checking her gear, too.

Muir Trail Ranch
Hiking in the first day from Florence Lake to the junction with the John Muir trail (4.7 miles), we passed by the Muir Trail Ranch.  The ranch is on privately owned land along the South Fork San Joaquin river, and is situated on the north shore.  Across the river is a hot spring, but in early summer, the river is too swift and deep to cross to the hot spring.  The ranch has its own four-wheel-drive road that parallels and crosses the trail a number of times.  The ranch reportedly caters to hikers, but only if they do not have a full complement of paying guests.  Resupply packages can be sent there, but only in 5-gallon buckets.  Due to these restrictions, most PCT hikers we met skipped the ranch in favor of Vermillion Valley Resort (VVR) at Edison Lake.

A second note about Muir Trail Ranch concerns the map of the trail.  While the trail and the 4WD road cross often, somewhere east of the wet meadows the trail leaves the meadow and climbs upward.  This trail is NOT shown on the map.  In fact, the map apparently only shows the road, as it heads directly into MTR.  We found our trail climbing and climbing, finally reaching the upper junction where the trail heads north to Selden Pass, or back down southeastward to the "Y" where northbound hikers can head upward to Selden pass or stay low and go to Muir Trail Ranch.  I would suggest anyone else going in from Florence Lake should follow the road (although crossings of Sallie Keys Creek an the second one might be wet.) At least they would not have to climb over 400 ft elevation only to descend again.

Hiking Out -- Bushwhacking down Charlotte Creek
I have a friend who says he backpacked up Bubbs Creek and then left the trail to climb up near Charlotte dome.  He said the area was not too bad, so I thought we might try heading out in that valley.  We talked to Ranger George Durkee and his wife at the Charlotte Lake ranger outpost, and he thought it might take us about three hours to make it down to the Bubbs Creek trail.  So we set off, following Charlotte Creek downstream from Charlotte Lake.  It actually took us four hours, counting the half hour for lunch.

At first, there is a use trail heading down.  I see on old maps that there is an abandoned trail that heads down the canyon a short distance, and then turns northwest and goes up to Gardner Lake.  We found the trail, and followed it until it crossed Charlotte Creek to head northwest.  Heading down the canyon was pretty easy at first.

We worked our way through the forest without much difficulty at first.  We crossed the creek a few times whenever going looked easier on the other side.  There was quite a bit of meadow, but we had to stay clear, since at this time of year, it was really wet and swampy.  We came upon lots of areas thick with wildflowers.

But then in the lower part, near Charlotte Dome, the creek plunges steeply down to Bubbs Creek.  We found ourselves working through huge boulders, pushing through six-foot high brush, then up onto extremely steep slopes strewn with huge downed logs and boulders (south side of Charlotte creek.)  It was a mess and going was slow.  We decided our route was a mistake not to be repeated.  We should have stayed on the Charlotte Dome side of the valley as we descended that lower half.  It was finally a relief to get to open granite benches where we could find a descent route the final quarter mile to the trail.

The Worst Part -- Sore Feet
Here we are at the end of the hike, tired, happy and with blisters and some toenails destined to go.  Except for our feet, we were in great shape!

Last but not least -- Videos

McClure Meadow

Hiking near Muir Pass

Woods Creek Bridge

Glen Pass

Re: JMT Trip report 2008
Steve C #45775 04/14/16 06:10 PM
R
R
Looks like a great trip. Nice pics.

You mentioned you had previously been atop Mt Darwin. You didn't climb up the face in the picture did you?

Did you bring a tent? a bear canister?

Re: JMT Trip report 2008
RenoFrank #45776 04/14/16 07:28 PM
S
Steve C Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Ha! No, didn't climb that wall on Darwin! We climbed it's north slope after hiking in from Lake Sabrina, hiking over the ridge from Blue Heaven Lake.

On the JMT hike, we carried bear canisters, and my tent was a sil-nylon tarp. Only used it one night.

Link Copied to Clipboard