Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 155 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Trail Report by First Timers 7/11-7/12
#5989 07/14/10 01:46 PM
J
janet Offline OP
OP Offline
J
As three first-timers and one day-summiter (albeit 10+ years ago), we found this forum extremely helpful in preparing for our trip up to the summit this past weekend (11-12 July) so thought we'd post a brief TR to help other first-timers. We are 4 women (late 30s-50ish) and relatively fit although not alpha-types, and two of us had never done an overnight backpack trip. First off, as others note, the trail is mostly snow-free now so that is no longer an issue. Arriving from sea level in San Diego, we spent the first night at the portal and managed to get a walk-in site at the trail head (arriving ~ 3 pm Saturday afternoon). We got a 9:30ish start primarily because it took sooo long for us to sort out and pack all our gear, and arrived at Trail Camp at ~ 3.30 pm. Advice to Other Newbies #1: Start early on trail to avoid heat!

We camped at Trail Camp (7/11) and even though we'd been hailed on during our ascent, the night time conditions were relatively mild (I would estimate low 40s). No moon, extraordinary stars, and even though snow and rain storms were forecast we lucked out and had none! Ranger Jonathon was exceptionally friendly helpful in pointing us to a well-protected site and even helped us set up our guy ropes to make our tents more rainproof. We took 2 bear canisters which should have been enough, but Advice #2: consolidate your load among your group so that you have only 1 sunscreen, 1 insect repellent (definitely needed as mozzies were severe), and not 16 million bags of trail mix etc.

Two of us had low-grade altitude headaches and one had a pounding headache on summit ascent day (Monday, 7/12) but ibuprofen really did the trick and we all felt good enough to make the ascent. Wanted to start at 6 am but started at 7:20 am (see advice #1 - also important to avoid the afternoon thunderstorms at the summit!). We each took 2 quarts of water to the summit and used every last drop. Our ascent took ~2.25 hours to Trail Crest and about the same to the summit. Trail conditions great - nothing technical - but don't underestimate that you need a certain fitness level. We got back to Trail Camp in ~ 3 hours at 3 pm and all wanted to collapse in the tent, but had to pack up and make the descent back to the portal. To make it worse, it had also started to hail. Advice #3: on your summit ascent day, try to get a permit that allows you to stay an extra night at Trail Camp because it is NOT pleasant doing the additional 6 mile descent to the portal after the elation of the summit. We made the descent from trail camp to the portal in ~ 4 hours, but it seemed like a very long 4 hours and all our legs, feet and calves are still feeling it 2 days later!

Things we didn't like about our Whitney hike experience:-
The negativity of some hikers at the trailhead who told us that we likely wouldn't make the summit - we are uncertain whether this was because we were women, or whether this was because of the general pessimism of some people!
Wag bags left behind at Trail Camp - pack them out!!
The long and winding descent to the portal on our summit day

Things we really liked about our Whitney Trail experience:-
Ranger Jonathon
An excuse to eat umpteem zillion Snickers bars
Most of all, I think the camaraderie of doing the hike and making the summit!

Re: Trail Report by First Timers 7/11-7/12
janet #5992 07/14/10 02:02 PM
S
S
Thanks for the great report, Janet.

One note...
> Advice #3: on your summit ascent day, try to get a permit that allows you to stay an extra night at Trail Camp because it is NOT pleasant doing the additional 6 mile descent to the portal after the elation of the summit.

Your permit is good to stay up to 14 days. You must start your hike on the date on the permit, but the exit date is simply informational. You could have stayed overnight, and the ranger would not have given you any trouble. In fact, since you were so tired, he might have urged you to camp another night.

Steve C #5999 07/14/10 06:06 PM
J
janet Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Gosh Steve - we did not know that at all, and that would have been a key bit of information in our trip planning! We thought we only had the one night. Should this information have been really obvious to us from the permit we received??

We stayed in a hotel in Lone Pine after our descent and drove back to San Diego the next day (7/13). But it probably would have been more optimal to camp again at Trail Camp after our summit ascent (did I mention how fabulous the view is from the top?!?), then next day walk down from Trail Camp to the car (~4 hours), stop in Lone Pine for lunch, then drive back to San Diego.

janet #6002 07/14/10 07:58 PM
CaT Offline
Great TR.

As for the descent, while it does tend to seem longer than it actually is, I personally kind-of enjoy the rush of the quick descent down to the Portal from Trail Crest (for me, the part that is hardest is always the half-mile ascent from the JMT junction back UP to Trail Crest on the return trip -- that just kills me every time). But once I'm back up to Trail Crest on the return trip, I take my foot off the brake, put it in auto-pilot, sort-of throw myself down the hill, and just cruise down the entire trail at a near-jog/run, unless I have to stop and help someone.

Sorry about the naysayers at the trailhead. Except in a painfully obvious circumstance, no one has any business telling you they think you won't make it to the summit, especially if they don't even know you or your capabilities. I'm guessing whoever it was who told you this may have made that assumption based more on their presumption that you were first-timers, which of course, doesn't matter. But who knows... You did made it, and that's great! But it would have been a great experience even if you had not made the summit. So, you proved them wrong! smile

CaT

If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracle of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it.
- Lyndon Johnson, on signing the Wilderness Act into law (1964)
CaT #6008 07/14/10 09:30 PM
Rod Offline
Great TR Janet. thanks for sharing. I think you just hit a pocket of negative people. Mountain climbers/hikers as a community are usually positive and encouraging.I will have to say I ran into several who made mention that only 30% succeed making the summit. I think that those who say stuff like that is to validate themelves in case they are in the 70% that don't make it. Great job for you and your friends on your summit. You are in the elite class of successful Mt. Whitney summiters. A fine class to be a part of.

janet #6009 07/14/10 09:30 PM
Bee Offline
Originally Posted By: janet

The negativity of some hikers at the trailhead who told us that we likely wouldn't make the summit - we are uncertain whether this was because we were women, or whether this was because of the general pessimism of some people!

MY rule #1

never talk to people at the trailhead:

a)I am as prepared as I am going to be at that point
b)Potential for negative vibes to be avoided
c)No, I don't have any extra anything to 'borrow'

The body betrays and the weather conspires, hopefully, not on the same day.
janet #6010 07/14/10 10:31 PM
S
S
Just a few things to add to Janet's post, as one of her party of four. Though this was not my first backcountry hiking trip, it was my first go at Whitney, and I feel proud (and lucky) that we were able to summit. I feel like we were adequately prepared, though clearly there were some take-home points about what we might do differently next time.

As J mentioned, the packing issue was an area that we could have improved upon, overlapping a bit less as a group on snacks and bear canister-contained items.

Physically, I feel like I am in fairly decent shape. However, after spending the night in Trail Camp, I woke up wondering if I was going to be able to even start up the switchbacks. Altitude left me with quite a headache. Also, I can't stress the importance of hydrating. And for me, once we started climbing on Day 2, adding electrolyte to my water made a huge difference to how I felt.

Trekking poles were a godsend, and I can't imagine not having used them.

I don't think there's any such thing as too much research. Reading these message board posts, keeping an eye on conditions, and having a clear plan are key, I think.

For me, I'm not sure another night at Trail Camp after summiting would have been desirable. While it was a bit tough going descending from TC, I was glad to make it down to the trail head the evening of our second day. One thing's for sure, there's no way I could have been "jogging back" (esp. with a 35+ lb pack and rain for a good share of the return). Hiking as part of group, too, it was important for all of us to remain (relatively) together most of the time.

Which brings up my final observation. Upon returning to Whitney Portal, we encountered one person without a pack, on her own, who though less than half a mile from the trail's end, seemed to be lost/disoriented. Another two hikers at trail's end were asking if we had encountered a member of their party who they had become separated from (a different situation from the first one). Seems to stress the importance of keeping with your group, if that is your plan.

Overall, an awesome experience, but one with challenges that shouldn't be underestimated.

SDKath #6011 07/14/10 10:47 PM
Bee Offline
Originally Posted By: SDKath

Which brings up my final observation. Upon returning to Whitney Portal, we encountered one person without a pack, on her own, who though less than half a mile from the trail's end, seemed to be lost/disoriented. Another two hikers at trail's end were asking if we had encountered a member of their party who they had become separated from (a different situation from the first one). Seems to stress the importance of keeping with your group, if that is your plan.

Overall, an awesome experience, but one with challenges that shouldn't be underestimated.

I could not agree with you more, Kath. In some of the worst disoriented/lost stories (particularly when groups disband on the way down & mayhem hits at the MT/JMT split) trouble occurred because the person who was left behind, unfortunately, was the least prepared to be alone. This happened during a winter outing in my neck of the woods this last season, and the person survived only because he was intelligent enough to build a snow cave (but not smart enough to not be alone without a compass!)Either the individuals in the group must be equally prepared to go it alone, or everyone bites the bullet and travels as fast as the slowest person. Personally, I go for the equally prepared AND stay together method.

The body betrays and the weather conspires, hopefully, not on the same day.
janet #6018 07/15/10 08:17 AM
W
W
Most people think I'm backpacking I can leave anytime but if you leave late in the heat of the day there is a price to pay. You can mitigate the heat of a late start by taking strategic breaks, at Lone Pine Creek at the top of the lower switchback, along Lone Pine Creek in Outpost Camp and at Trailside Meadow. I makes for a longer but more enjoyable trip.

BTW, what happens when the DEET, sunscreen or water filter person beats feet back to WP with the mother of all cases of AMS? We used to do the you do this, I'll do that thingy and found out if someone has to turn around or extraordinary circumstances arrive it's a good thing having a partner with...moleskin, toilet paper, DEET, sunscreen or a Steripen with good batteries to save the day.

janet #6050 07/15/10 08:57 PM
V
V
Originally Posted By: janet

The negativity of some hikers at the trailhead who told us that we likely wouldn't make the summit - we are uncertain whether this was because we were women, or whether this was because of the general pessimism of some people.

Congratulations on your summit. Regarding your comment, it could be that the people had negative experiences in the past with friends. If you read the bottom paragraph in the Orientation Notes feature topic my first two attempts involved people who pushed themselves too far on their first (and presumably last) attempt. Don't take the comments personally.

Link Copied to Clipboard