Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 155 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
My first Whitney Summit
#7093 09/05/10 04:09 PM
P
OP Offline
P
First timer trip report.
Not ever being above 9K before, I knew I would need to acclimate.
8/29 - spent my first night at Outpost Camp.
I felt a little sick to my stomach, but wasn't too bad.
I tried to eat, but nothing sounded good.
I lost my sun-hat along the trail somewhere, and knew I would regret that... had to rely on my "Best Papa" baseball cap for sun protection.
8/30 - was spent at Trail Camp.
Besides being physically exhausted, I didn't feel ill at all.
I figured my tiredness was due at least in part to lack of food.
It was cold and windy that night and didn't get much sleep. Got up to pee and almost fell over when I looked up at the night sky! It was sensational!
8/31 - the switch backs were relentless. By not focusing on how many there were, they finally became history.
I was drinking alot of water, but still was unable to eat anything. One kind lady hiker gave me "shot-block" to try... seemed to help.
I finally reached the summit at 1:45.
A friendly fellow from WA took my picture while I sighned the register. I tried to eat again, but still not able to get anything down.
I found a spot on the mountain where I could make a cell-phone call to my wife... she had been waiting at Dow Villa since Sunday to hear from me... she cried.
After an hour or so, I returned to Trail Camp for one more night.
9/01 - Headed for the Portal.
I was making good time until Lone Pine Lake when I fell flat on my face. I somehow threw my back out which caused me to favor my knee... from that point on, I was really hurting.
I hobbled to the Portal - dropped my pack and ordered C'Burger, Fries, and a Beer - it was GREAT!

I turned 60 in March and retired in June.
I set this hike as my goal to prove to myself that there would be more to look forward to in life.
I am happy to say I accomplished that goal!
Thanks to all... your posts proved invaluable in helping me accomplish this goal.

PrestonP
Re: My first Whitney Summit
PrestonP #7094 09/05/10 05:58 PM
Congrats Preston!!!! I am very happy for you (and your wife.) I'm sure you know she did the entire trail with you also, even if she was at the Dow Villa.

As far as nearly falling from looking at the stars on your way to pee.....Join the crowd!!!

"Turtles, Frogs & other Environmental Sculpture"

www.quillansculpturegallery.com
twitter: @josephquillan

If less is more, imagine how much more, more is -Frasier
PrestonP #7096 09/05/10 06:54 PM
Preston, I love reading TRs like yours! Not only did Whitney provide you with a goal worth working toward, you clearly took something back that'll stay with you for a long, long time. Hearty congratulations!

I can so empathize with the difficulty eating at altitude - above 12K' it just never seems worth the effort to me, even though I know better. It's a common thing. So is trying to sleep at 12K'!

Bulldog34 #7098 09/05/10 08:12 PM
Rod Offline
Congratulations Preston. Thanks for posting your TR.Managing food intake is really one of the biggest issues facing MW summit attempts.I really mismanaged my caloric intake on my 1st summit.The key seems to find something palatable above 12K and force yourself to eat even if you don't feel hungry or want to eat. Glad you overcame that issue and successfully summited.
I can identify with the goal setting as a motivating factor. I did it to overcome my up coming prostate cancer surgery in 2007.Amazing what setting a difficult goal for yourself and conquering it can do for your mental state of mind.It makes you feel powerful.

Last edited by Rod; 09/05/10 08:18 PM.
PrestonP #7102 09/06/10 11:52 AM
W
W
Preston,

Congrats on a succesful summit and more importantly, a safe return downhill. You may be sore and ache where you never knew you could ache, but you were able to walk out on your own and made it home.

The 'shot block' was probably a 'Cliff shot block'. They are a electrolyte/sugar replacement. I use them on long day hikes too. They are a good supplement to 'real' food. The stuff is made to break down and get into your system quickly.

Rod #7117 09/07/10 04:16 PM
P
OP Offline
P
I certainly understand about Prostrate cancer... I went through a radical procedure in 2000 - that was a life changing event.
It would have been nice to have had this trip to keep my mind off of other things.
Oh well, that's all in the past now and I can concentrate on retirement.
I am already wishing I was back on that trail!
I have a neighbor that hiked MWT in 1942... as I described the trip, I could see "his" memories flash before his eyes!
Just goes to show, you can take the person off the mountain, but you can't take the mountain out of the person!

PrestonP

Link Copied to Clipboard