Next Thread
Print Thread
Muir and Whitney Summit 10/4
#40532 10/07/14 03:18 PM
C
ChrisSD Offline OP
OP Offline
C
This is the third time summiting Whitney on a day hike and first time combining both Muir and Whitney. I learned a little each trip as each one is different. Everyone is a little different, but the altitude at Trail Crest and above makes a difference.

To get adjusted a little, I set up camp at Horseshoe Meadow Thursday the 2nd, loosened up a little with a hike to Trail Pass and then camped the night. Place was pretty empty and Temps were a good 8-10F below what was predicted, so it was chilly and below 30F even though forecast low was 38F. Hiked to bottom of switchbacks of Cottonwood Pass the next day and then headed to Lone Pine for a good (albeit short) nights sleep.

Started at 3 am with first break at OutPost Camp. For an October Day, the trail was pretty busy. I believe all 100 permits were used. Anyway, slogged up past Mirror Lake and since it was still dark I got temporarily lost by following someone else. Fortunately we were only 10-20 yards off the trail and didn't venture too far to the right. Made it to Trailside Meadow and filtered some water there as the TrailCamp Water is a little dicey. Trail Camp was really busy and full with people just getting up. It was like a small town. It was nice to see that there were not a lot of Wagbags around. Stayed amused by counting all 97 switchbacks. I did not have microspikes and some of the spots particularly at the cables and above were packed down ice and pretty slippery. It did not melt at mid-day on way down and of course there was no water to filter as it was frozen. saw everything from people in sneakers with no poles to a guy with $200 Crampons

It was pretty chilly at Trail Crest and the forecast winds of 5 mph were a lot higher in some spots. I have not climbed Muir before so I was looking for the turnoff by the big rock. It was pretty easy to find and there are a number of scramble areas to the base of Muir. I took a copy of the climbing route from this excellent site and followed the BLUE line up. I thought it was a little dicey in a few areas like the left across an open face by the chimney with no hand holds. Other than that, just be careful. The views were great with a clear line to the switchbacks. Got back on the trail and decided to do a 2 for 1 since I felt pretty good. It's still a good hike to the Whitney summit and unfortunately for me I ran out of water before hitting the summit. This made for a splitting headache on the way down even after I tried to rehydrate at Trailside Meadow. Anyway, made the summit and then headed back down. The pounding the feet and legs take from the granite from above Mirror lake to Lone Pine Lake takes it toll on a day trip. The total time was a little under 15 hours.

Met a lot of great people; some ultra athletes, others just hiking enthusiasts.

A few suggestions for those considering the Day Hike. Altitude affects people differently, but don't underestimate it. There were at least 6 people I ran into that were either too sick to make it past the switchbacks or puking and having to turn around. These aren't couch potatoes either; one super girl recently finished Pikes Peak marathon with no issues. So take it seriously and hike or camp around a little at 10K or above. I underestimated the water needed above TC for a 3rd time now. That's not happening again as dehydration and altitude don't mix well. And finally weather changes rapidly, so plan for the unexpected like downpours on 0% chance rain forecast or high winds when the forecast is 0-5 mph....Both happened.

The effort and planning are definitely worth the views, people, and overall satisfaction....Hope to post trip #4 next year

Muir Route

Re: Muir and Whitney Summit 10/4
ChrisSD #40537 10/07/14 10:22 PM
S
S
Nice report, ChrisSD. Congratulations.

Question: How much water did you carry up from Trail Camp?

Also a note: People who can do the Colorado fourteeners without any altitude issues forget that they probably spend a few days at lower altitudes there. BUT, lower altitude in Colorado is at 5k'! Acclimatization takes place at those altitudes, too. Climbing fourteeners in CO is like climbing to Outpost Camp here.

Steve C #40548 10/08/14 01:03 PM
C
ChrisSD Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Now that I think about it, I only refilled two 28 ounce canteens with an electrolyte drink and about 75 ounces of my camelback with water at OutPost Camp. I got lazy and didn't want to fight the crowds at Trail Camp so didn't fill up. Clearly not enough fluids for 12 miles or so. I'm not sure if it's the altitude or my filter, but any water that I filter tastes metallic and is tough to swallow. I'm guessing it's the dissolved minerals, but any advice on filtering to remove?

ChrisSD #40551 10/08/14 10:52 PM
S
S
Well, that sounds like you carried 4 liters from Outpost. Most people talk about taking at least 3 from Trail Camp, so you had probably already consumed more than 1 by the time you got to Trail Camp. Bob R takes 2, and keeps refilling with snow on the way up, caching a full one at Trail Crest for the way down. But that requires warm enough temps so that the snow will melt.

As for the metallic taste: Try filtering some tap water at home with your filter and canteens. Then slosh it around every so often for a few hours. It might be the filter or the containers.

Also: I discovered Nuun electrolyte tablets this summer. Those, mixed with some kool aid mix makes the water taste like a carbonated soft drink. I really like it. Tablet alone helps a lot, too.

Just so you know, some of us old-timers just dip and sip, all the way. I avoid the Trail Camp pond, and walk the few yards off trail to the inlet stream, where I drink copiously and fill containers.

Here's from the first topic in the Reference forum:
Water discussions (Drink untreated, or filter/treat/boil/etc.)
  Water and Giardia around Mt. Whitney
  60,000 Liters of Water Consumed -- Untreated
  Filter question (links to studies, etc.)

ChrisSD #40586 10/10/14 01:49 PM
S
S
Hi Chris,

It was nice meeting you on both summits and back at the portal. Altitude got the best of a couple of our athletes, but all are fully recovered. I think sleeping at Horseshoe Meadow is well worth the effort to aclimitize.

Steve_SD #40646 10/14/14 01:27 PM
C
ChrisSD Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Steve SD, Great to meet you guys! Thanks for showing the way (lines) on Muir and snapping a few photos for me. Good luck in the future races all of you are planning. I'll look for you guys in the local SoCal hiking/running scene...San Jacinto, Baldy, El Cajon.....

Link Copied to Clipboard