Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 121 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Whitney Trail Day Hike - Summit Success!
#50158 06/16/17 07:27 AM
B
OP Offline
B
Hi All! I have been following this forum for all of my prep, so I felt like I really needed to give back a good trip report! I did the hike in one day and it could not have gone more perfectly!

I wrote about the full trip, with tons of photos here:

http://www.bettybeyondboston.com/2017/06/mt-whitney-day-hike.html

I would be happy to answer any questions, I just want everyone to be prepared and safe!

Re: Whitney Trail Day Hike - Summit Success!
bethjanelle #50162 06/16/17 08:54 AM
S
S
BethJanelle: Congratulations! You and Blake are certainly in extremely good condition. How often and how long were those "endless Stairmaster workouts"?

And you are some of the lucky ones -- Most people cannot eat a thing by the time they ascend to Trail Crest, due to the altitude. Some people have to stop even at Trail Camp and turn around. Nobody can tell how they will react until they actually do this hike.

Also lucky that you were able to glissade in soft snow, as you mentioned how it ices up later on. It is a lot safer to have an ice axe to use as a brake if the chute gets icy.

Were Davey and his friend wearing crampons or were they also wearing microspikes like you? Most people with the micros bail at the Chute.

By the way, the people who started at 3am... did you pass them or the other way around?

Steve C #50163 06/16/17 09:14 AM
B
OP Offline
B
Thanks Steve! We did a lot of different workouts to get ready for the hike, but I would make Blake do a interval Stairmaster workout for 45 minutes. Relentless!!

For us, microspikes were fine, but of course everyone is different with what works for them. The two others we were with had crampons. And we passed those who stared at 3am. I believe they ended up turning around before the chute due to the altitude frown

bethjanelle #50166 06/16/17 10:41 AM
D
D
can I post your trip link/story to the MT Whitney FB Page? or can you?

dwr65 #50168 06/16/17 11:30 AM
B
OP Offline
B
Yes you definitely can! What's the name of the page? I'd love to join it!

bethjanelle #50169 06/16/17 11:50 AM
D
D
THX !

I cant seem to copy the link, but search on FB for MT. Whitney. its a closed group, but the admins respond quickly for adds

bethjanelle #50170 06/16/17 11:55 AM
N
N
BETH CONGRATULATIONS! WOW!!! Happy for you and husband!

I was at your webpage "Betty Beyond Boston" and loved your photos! Great descriptions of everything, but I still have questions...;) I hope you can answer some, because I've been taking the preparation very serious like you and I would love to succeed too.

FYI English is my 2nd language, so please forgive my basic writing.

Start at 4AM: Did you see any animals? Bears, snakes, etc? Did you only have a forehead light or a regular flashlight too?

12 pair of socks: How often did you have to change and did you use it all?

Gators: Are they a MUST to have or not a real necessity? I don't have it now, but if it is a MUST; I will buy it ASAP.

Crossing overflowing river: I'm very concerned! 1 mile from Portal? Oh no! I'm very petite (opposite of Blake). Height 5,1 and 99 pounds! Should I take an extra pair of shoes/boots? Should I cross it barefoot? How I'll survive this river? Help please! ;(

Breaks: Correct me if I'm wrong. Your first stop was after 5 miles? How many stops going up? How long was the break? (average in minutes please).

Food: Besides the energy bar from REI, what else you took? Food that doesn't attract bear after me! Super concerned about the overflowing river and bears in the morning! ;(

Dave, "Your Angel": What kind advices he gave to you?

TRAIL CREST: What time you arrived at Trail Crest? Is it safe to drop off/leave your expensive backpack and gears there?

Medication: Did you take any supplements/medication before starting the trail? Did you take any medication while hiking or after feeling dizzy/migraines near to the Summit? If yes, which one please?

My husband and I are training a lot. 12 to 16 miles hiking 3 x a week. Doing Stairmaster 3 x week 1 hrs. Where else in exercise to help with the hike?

Sorry for soooooooo many questions! smile
I'm just the type of person who likes to do things right and I would like to cross Mount Whitney out of my 'BUCKET LIST" SAFE! FYI, I will turned around if I see myself OUT of my comfortable zone! So, please answer what you can! smile

thanks a lot!

Nayara Jones

Last edited by Nayara Jones; 06/16/17 12:00 PM.
dwr65 #50171 06/16/17 12:14 PM
B
OP Offline
B
Just found it and requested smile

Nayara Jones #50186 06/18/17 07:32 AM
B
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted By: Nayara Jones
BETH CONGRATULATIONS! WOW!!! Happy for you and husband!

I was at your webpage "Betty Beyond Boston" and loved your photos! Great descriptions of everything, but I still have questions...;) I hope you can answer some, because I've been taking the preparation very serious like you and I would love to succeed too.

FYI English is my 2nd language, so please forgive my basic writing.

Start at 4AM: Did you see any animals? Bears, snakes, etc? Did you only have a forehead light or a regular flashlight too? WE ONLY SAW SOME DEER AND A VERY SMALL SNAKE. THAT WAS IT! AND WE ONLY HAD OUR HEADLAMPS, BUT I ATTACHED GLOW STICKS TO OUR BACKPACKS SO WE WERE MORE VISIBLE.

12 pair of socks: How often did you have to change and did you use it all? I KNOW THE 12 PAIRS WERE A LOT! BUT SINCE MY SHOES WERE NOT WATERPROOF I WANTED TO BE PREPARED. WHEN I WEAR MY TRAIL RUNNERS I ALWAYS DOUBLE UP ON SOCKS BECAUSE ITS MORE COMFORTABLE FOR ME. I ACTUALLY ONLY CHANGED SOCKS ONCE WHILE ON THE HIKE.

Gators: Are they a MUST to have or not a real necessity? I don't have it now, but if it is a MUST; I will buy it ASAP. I ONLY HAD THEM BECAUSE MY SHOES WERE NOT WATERPROOF. THEY DIDNT MAKE A HUGE DIFFERENCE BUT THEY HELPED KEEP MY LEGS AND ANKLES DRY WHEN I WAS IN THE SNOW AND ON THE RIVER CROSSING.

Crossing overflowing river: I'm very concerned! 1 mile from Portal? Oh no! I'm very petite (opposite of Blake). Height 5,1 and 99 pounds! Should I take an extra pair of shoes/boots? Should I cross it barefoot? How I'll survive this river? Help please! ;( YOU WANT TO BE CAREFUL ABOUT HOW MUCH WEIGHT YOU CARRY, SO YOU MOGHT NOT WANT TO BRING EXTRA SHOES. IF YOU ARE WEARING BOOTS THAT ARE WATERPROOF THEN YOU WILL BE FINE. I WOULD NOT GO BAREFOOT AS THE ROCKS COULD BE SLIPPERY.

Breaks: Correct me if I'm wrong. Your first stop was after 5 miles? How many stops going up? How long was the break? (average in minutes please). WE TOOK SHORT BREAKS TO TAKE PHOTOS AND THEN RESTED AT 2.5 MILES, THEN AT 5 MILES. PUR PLAN WAS TO REST FOR 10 MINS EVERY 2.5 BUT WE TOOK MORE FREQUEST BREAKS ONCE WE GOT INTO HIGHER ALTITUDE.

Food: Besides the energy bar from REI, what else you took? Food that doesn't attract bear after me! Super concerned about the overflowing river and bears in the morning! ;( DONT WORRY TOO MUCH ABOUT THE BEARS IF YOU ARE DOING A DAY HIKE. IF YOU ARE CAMPING, YOU WILL NEED A BEAR CONTAINER. PEOPLE ARE TERRIFIED OF BLACK BEARS BUT THEY ONLY WANT YOUR FOOD. THEY ARE VERY SCARED OF HUMANS SO THEY WILL GENERALLY ONLY GO AFTER YOUR FOOD WHEN PEOPLE ARE NOT AROUND (LIKE IN A BACKPACK THAT IS LEFT OUT OVER NIGHT WITH FOOD IN IT AND NO CONTAINER). I BROUGHT 2,000 CALORIES. I FIGURED I WOULD BURN ABOUT 3,000 CALORIES ON THE HIKE AND I HAD A BRING BREAKFAST BEFORE WE STARTED THE HIKE. I BROUGHTT TEO CLIFF BARS, TWO PEANUT BUTTER AND JELLLY SANDWICHES, 4 L OF WATER, PRETZELS, AND ENERGY GELS.

Dave, "Your Angel": What kind advices he gave to you? HE BASICALLY WAS JUST SOMEONE WHO WAS VERY EXPERIENCED AND COULD ANSWER ANY WUESTIONS WE HAD. HE ASSURED US THAT OUR TIMING AND PACE WAS ON POINT, AND HE TAUGHT US HOW TO GLISSADE DOWN THE CHUTE.

TRAIL CREST: What time you arrived at Trail Crest? Is it safe to drop off/leave your expensive backpack and gears there? WE GOT THERE AROUND 11:30AM. LOST OF HIKERS LEAVE THEIR BELONGINGS BUT ITS UP TO YOU.

Medication: Did you take any supplements/medication before starting the trail? Did you take any medication while hiking or after feeling dizzy/migraines near to the Summit? If yes, which one please? I TOOK IBUPROFEN FOR MOST OF THE HIKE BUT CHECK WITH YOUR DOCTOR BEFORE AS I AM NOT A DOCTOR.

My husband and I are training a lot. 12 to 16 miles hiking 3 x a week. Doing Stairmaster 3 x week 1 hrs. Where else in exercise to help with the hike? THAT SOUNDS GREAT!

Sorry for soooooooo many questions! smile
I'm just the type of person who likes to do things right and I would like to cross Mount Whitney out of my 'BUCKET LIST" SAFE! FYI, I will turned around if I see myself OUT of my comfortable zone! So, please answer what you can! smile

thanks a lot!

Nayara Jones

I answered all the questions with CAPS just so it's easier to read! Hope it helps and sorry if it looks like I am yelling smile

bethjanelle #50188 06/18/17 08:50 AM
N
N
BETH, APPRECIATE YOUR TIME ANSWERING THE QUESTIONS AND CONGRAT'S AGAIN!!!
THANKS A LOT!!! wink

dwr65 #50203 06/19/17 03:04 PM
M
M
I am trying to find this closed FB page. no luck yet. will appreciate any help.

Mark K #50206 06/19/17 09:37 PM
S
S
Originally Posted By: Mark K
I am trying to find this closed FB page. no luck yet. will appreciate any help.

Mark, the closed FB "group" is called "Mt. Whitney" Click on this link:   Mt. Whitney Facebook 'Closed Group'
Facebook won't show you anything until you're signed up within Facebook.

But believe me, Facebook is mostly populated by people looking for, or giving, quick and easy answers. This message board will give you more in-depth information. And information posted here can be found long after it has been posted, unlike anything on FB.

Steve C #50211 06/20/17 08:24 AM
S
S
Steve is right, the FB group is nice to share your trip, maybe get a few pictures, but this site is better for detailed info.

@jjoshuagregory (Instagram) for mainly landscape and mountain pics

Link Copied to Clipboard