0 members (), 57 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
MSR Windboiler – Completed Review
#41105 11/30/14 07:54 PM
OP Offline
If anyone is interested, I have completed my review of the new MSR Windboiler.

HJ

Backpacking stove reviews and information: Adventures In Stoving
Re: MSR Windboiler – Completed Review
hikin_jim #41290 01/04/15 10:09 AM
interesting review. I'm not a real UL type hiker, so the weight of the MSR doesn't bother me too much, but with everything being equal, I'd always pick the lighter stove. Wind has never really been a problem for me in summer or even fall, so I'll stick with my Jetboil for now.

Regarding the negatives you point out about the Jetboil:

Ditch that "cup" that protects the bottom - it's protected enough by its own bottom rim. I have no idea why this is even included.

And you hold the Jetboil differently from the way you hold the MSR in your photo. I don't think the loop is designed the way you attempt to hold the cup in your photo - not easy to see on the embedded size here, but this photo was taken with a full 1.8 liter Sumo cup and no problem at all to hold it safely when you put the strap over the back of your hand:

Our Camp on July 11

I love the optional 1.8 liter "Sumo" cup on it, which for groups of two or three is perfect. Never missed a beat in about 50 days of Sierra use so far. Extremely efficient and even with the big cup a little lighter than the MSR.

Re: MSR Windboiler – Completed Review
Fishmonger #41330 01/08/15 10:22 PM
OP Offline
Well, yes, what you're saying is true. The "handle" on the Jetboil is, according to Jetboil, a strap that you're supposed to slide your hand under. Most people just cut it off and grab the cozy. To me, the slide your hand under thing is a hassle. I just want to grab and go.

However, I can see that the hand strap might actually be useful on a Sumo pot since the Sumo pot is pretty fat. Unless you're an NBA player, it's going to be a bit tricky getting a firm grip on the Sumo.

Jetboil is clearly aware that people have been complaining about the "handle". On their newest model, the MiniMo, they have put in place some really solid hardware so that one can definitely pick the pot up by the handle.

Likewise, MSR exploited people's dissatisfaction with the Jetboil handle and came up with their own solution.

Left to right: Windboiler, Sol, MiniMo

HJ

Backpacking stove reviews and information: Adventures In Stoving

Link Copied to Clipboard