0 members (), 156 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Thread Like Summary
MikeH
Original Post (Thread Starter)
Forest Closure #59237 08/30/2021 10:32 PM
by bsample
bsample
I just got this response when I tried to get my permits for my hike that starts Sept 1:

Inyo National Forest is being closed due to extreme fire conditions throughout the state of California. Wilderness permits with an entry date of September 1 through September 17 are being canceled. You will receive a refund of reservation fees automatically through recreation.gov when your permit is canceled.

Anyone else get this message yet?
Liked Replies
Re: Forest Closure #59281 Sep 16th a 09:58 PM
by SoCal Jim
SoCal Jim
For those who care about access to Tahoe area backcountry: I read more about the forest closures and reopenings today. The four SoCal NFs remain closed as well as El Dorado NF, where the Tamarack fire burned and the Caldor fire is still being fought (with 71% containment today). The Lake Tahoe Basin Management Unit has reopened except for the Desolation Wilderness, certain forest roads near Desolation, and the Meiss backcountry area south of the lake. I called the South Lake Tahoe office to clarify these closures and that Freel Peak, the highest in the Tahoe basin, is in the closure area. Tahoe NF is open, and Humboldt-Toiyabe NF (most of the eastern side of the lake outside of the LTBMU) never closed, for some reason.
1 member likes this