Mt Whitney Zone
Posted By: DobeMom Conditions at Yosemite - 11/23/10 01:03 PM
Hello, northerners (Steve, Bee and Wagga), wink

How's the condition at Yosemite? Norman and I are thinking of driving up to Yosemite Valley to take some photos on Saturday. No major hiking, just walking around. Do you know if the roads are clear, and if we need snowshoes? I see snow forecasted for the Sierra on Saturday...

Thanks a bunch!!!
Posted By: wagga Re: Conditions at Yosemite - 11/23/10 01:26 PM
This is from yesterday afternoon from the Bee.

More info as the week wears on.

SteveC is out of town, if you would like to do the beer & pizza thing, Gary & Pam might be interested.

PM me for snowshoe info.
Posted By: + @ti2d Re: Conditions at Yosemite - 11/23/10 01:29 PM
Conditions at Yosemite.

Another one from Palmdale! Wifey-pooh grajiated from Palmdale.

Anyhoo...

Gary and Pam...that's us that wagga be talkin' about.

We plan to take some of our relatives from Down Yonder (Escondido) to the Valley.

Shoot us a PM and maybe we can hook up.

Snowshoes? Bring them. Can't hurt!

Tire chains? A definite must.

Have fun...
Posted By: Bee Re: Conditions at Yosemite - 11/23/10 01:29 PM
Go to this site: http://yosemitenews.info/forum/list.php?1

It has all of the up to the moment conditions at Yose along with some very knowledeable individuals to answer any queries. It also has some links to the onsite webcams.
Posted By: wagga Re: Conditions at Yosemite - 11/23/10 05:14 PM
Tioga Pass & Glacier Point closed for 2010.
Posted By: DobeMom Re: Conditions at Yosemite - 11/23/10 07:13 PM
Ooh, thank you, Bee, Wagga and Gary! Knew I could count on you folks, smile

Norman (hubby) and I are transplants here in Palmdale... gets us closer to the Sierra and Mammoth!!

will pm you guys, smile

Thanks again!!!
Posted By: Steve C Re: Conditions at Yosemite - 11/23/10 09:22 PM
Here's the Yosemite weather site from NOAA:

Point Forecast: Yosemite Valley CA

Looks like sunny and clear on Thanksgiving day. ...but cold!
Posted By: Barbara Re: Conditions at Yosemite - 11/23/10 11:09 PM
My daughter was there from last Friday thru Monday (yesterday) - snowed a lot all weekend - needed chains driving in from El Portal. She hiked half way up Yosemite falls on Saturday - slippery coming down. Have fun.
Posted By: Mike Condron Re: Conditions at Yosemite - 11/24/10 04:56 AM
Be sure to carry chains as it is required they be in possession while you are driving in the park. I would think snowshoes are not in order but if you have micro spikes or something like that they might be handy in the event of ice on the pathways.

Check this thread: http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,29984

(I don't know how to make this link hot)
Posted By: Steve C Re: Conditions at Yosemite - 11/24/10 01:01 PM
Mike C wrote:
> (I don't know how to make this link hot)

First snow of the year

Mike (and anyone else):

Here are the steps...
1. Click the link icon (second on the posting window). A little window opens.
2. Paste the url there: http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,29984   Click OK, and a second window opens.
3. Enter text, such as the page title: First snow of the year   Click ok, and this appears in your posting window:

[url=http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,29984]First snow of the season[/url]

Or, just type the text as you see it above. (This is what I do) The hard part is remembering the red UBB tags:
[url=URL goes here]Text goes here[/url]
Posted By: Fishmonger Re: Conditions at Yosemite - 11/29/10 01:47 PM
Originally Posted By: Steve C
Mike C wrote:

First snow of the year

it's the time of year I get jealous of everyone who gets to live close to the Sierra and is able to enjoy the change of the seasons in the mountains. But give me 5-6 years, and I will be moving west, too... until then I have to virtually live through the photos and reports of others to make it from vacation to vacation.
Posted By: + @ti2d Re: Conditions at Yosemite - 11/29/10 05:33 PM
Originally Posted By: Fishmonger
...give me 5-6 years, and I will be moving west, too...

When you do, we will show you where to live!

When ya visit, hook up with me and Wifey-pooh. Got plenty of room.

There ain't nuttin' wrong with Sconsin! Love the Dells!

Have fun...
Posted By: Fishmonger Re: Conditions at Yosemite - 11/30/10 02:17 PM
Originally Posted By: + @ti2d
...give me 5-6 years, and I will be moving west, too...

When you do, we will show you where to live!

When ya visit, hook up with me and Wifey-pooh. Got plenty of room.

There ain't nuttin' wrong with Sconsin! Love the Dells!

Have fun...

WI is probably the best bet if you are 1000 miles east of the Rockies, but unless you like hunting and fishing, things get boring real quick around here. That's why I have spent 15 of the last 22 summers in the Sierra

you live east or west of the crest? Right now my WI house value here will translate into a 1-bedroom cabin in Mammoth cry but the East Side is where I am drawn to.
Posted By: + @ti2d Re: Conditions at Yosemite - 11/30/10 05:26 PM
Live on the Westend along with Steve C, wagga, and others...
Posted By: Fishmonger Re: Conditions at Yosemite - 11/30/10 06:16 PM
Originally Posted By: + @ti2d
Live on the Westend along with Steve C, wagga, and others...

the west side has the advantage of possible employment... I may have to fall back on that if I can't pull off my Wisconsin telecommute grand master plan. Technically not an issue, but managers still don't quite like the taste of workers being only "virtually present"
Posted By: Bulldog34 Re: Conditions at Yosemite - 11/30/10 06:47 PM
WI is probably the best bet if you are 1000 miles east of the Rockies, but unless you like hunting and fishing, things get boring real quick around here. That's why I have spent 15 of the last 22 summers in the Sierra

True dat. My wife is a Minnesota native, so for 18 years we've been travelling up there and into Wisconsin for family visits. Every single one of my wife's male relatives (call it 25 or so) is both an avid hunter and an even more avid fisherman. They're particularly enthusiastic about winter ice-fishing, which is a real event for a Georgia boy, I can assure you. You haven't lived until you've ridden in a half-ton pick-up as your giddy brother-in-law drives it off the bank, onto a frozen lake, and out about a mile to find that perfect spot to crank up the ice-auger with the 5-foot bit.

Aside from the obvious differences in style in sub-zero temps, my observation about fishing in the Great White North is pretty consistent with what I've seen elsewhere: fishing is mostly just an excuse to get hammered while appearing productive - not that that's necessarily a bad thing . . .

Posted By: Fishmonger Re: Conditions at Yosemite - 12/01/10 02:32 PM
Originally Posted By: Bulldog34
You haven't lived until you've ridden in a half-ton pick-up as your giddy brother-in-law drives it off the bank, onto a frozen lake, and out about a mile to find that perfect spot to crank up the ice-auger with the 5-foot bit.

Aside from the obvious differences in style in sub-zero temps, my observation about fishing in the Great White North is pretty consistent with what I've seen elsewhere: fishing is mostly just an excuse to get hammered while appearing productive - not that that's necessarily a bad thing . . .

there are other "you haven't lived until - things" you can do on frozen lakes but fish and drink: below a video of what we did in 1992 to combat the usual cabin feever in January... (needs MS Silverlight). All footage was shot about 3 miles from my house, just outside of Madison. Excuse the youtube quality, but this was edited with the very first consumer video capture board you could buy

http://didnt.doit.wisc.edu/offroad/snowbashing_smooth/snowbashing_smooth.html

Anyway, sliding on a kneeboard behind a Jeep on a frozen lake, been there - done that. I need to get out west to a more challenging playground.

Posted By: Steve C Re: Conditions at Yosemite - 12/01/10 05:22 PM
> Anyway, sliding on a keenboard behind a Jeep on a frozen lake, been there - done that.

What a kick in the pants! Thanks for sharing that.
Posted By: Bulldog34 Re: Conditions at Yosemite - 12/01/10 06:02 PM
Ha! None of my 9 Minnesota brothers-in-law ever tried to talk me into that. They've frozen my butt off in deer-stands and in icehouses on frozen lakes, but never that.

That first time one of my B-I-Ls took me ice fishing, he stopped his truck at the edge of the bank, leaned over to unclip my seat belt, and then drove on to the ice.

"Why'd you do that?", I asked. "In case we go through the ice", he replied.

I pondered this for a moment, then he asked if I had good life insurance. I told him I did. He said, "That's good, 'cuz I don't have any. If we go through and die, the DNR is still gonna charge our families a ton for the truck removal and clean-up. Then there's the fine for polluting the lake - that's a huge one! Good to know we're covered."

To this day I don't know if he was BSing me . . .
© WhitneyZone Message Board