Mt Whitney Zone
Posted By: Bulldog34 Footwear? - 11/18/09 01:49 PM
Sadly, I'll be retiring my hikers soon. A pair of hardy, trustworthy Merrells that have carried me about 1300 miles over the past four years. Before I run out and just get another pair of Merrells, I was curious what lightweight hikers any of you might be wearing and happy with.
Posted By: Steve C Re: Footwear? - 11/18/09 02:20 PM
I have a pair of New Balance MW977 from zappos.com. They are a good quality trail shoe, and I wouldn't hesitate to use them for moderate off trail too. I always use New Balance because I can get them wide enough for my fat feet. smile

Posted By: Rod Re: Footwear? - 11/18/09 04:09 PM
New balance for me too Steve. 9 4E.I have trail runners.I also have a pair of Dunham light weight ankle high hiking boots I bought off the self that are 9 4E that fit amazing and I love for most hiking.I have another pair of light weight hiking boots that I had fitted many years ago at A16 that never fit quite right and rub my left big toe.
Posted By: quillansculpture Re: Footwear? - 11/18/09 04:38 PM
I've never had New Balance hiking shoes, but when I ran marathons, NEW BALANCE were the ONLY shoes I would get. No other shoes worked for me. I only ran off-road marathons, including Death Valley and Wild Wild West. I'm going to check these out and hopefully I can find them on sale before February hikes :-)
Posted By: + @ti2d Re: Footwear? - 11/18/09 04:40 PM
Zamberlans.

Nice avatar, Bulldog34!
Posted By: CMC2 Re: Footwear? - 11/18/09 05:05 PM
I have been very happy with Vasque Catalyst Gore Tex Boots for many years. They make a low cut style with or without Gore Tex but my favorite is the Mid height . I have gone through 3-4 pairs of the low cut style and am on #6 on the Mid height. They are getting hard to find and I suspect Vasque might be going to a different style to replace the Catalyst.
Posted By: SanDi_carole Re: Footwear? - 11/18/09 05:10 PM
Ecco Noatek Mid Hiking Boots - Waterproof Gore-Tex(tm) XCR

Posted By: Bulldog34 Re: Footwear? - 11/18/09 05:48 PM
Originally Posted By: + @ti2d
Nice avatar, Bulldog34!

That's Tucker, one of my 10 year-old daughter's stuffed pets. He goes with me on hiking trips she can't, as a substitute partner. That shot was at Cottonwood Pass back in August. He's been my hiking companion when I'm solo for about 7 years now. You should have seen the looks he got on Whitney dangling from my pack . . .
Posted By: + @ti2d Re: Footwear? - 11/18/09 07:07 PM
Tucker is a lady-killer, eh? No, let me re-phrase that...a WOOfER...wooer...woofer...get it? I made a funny! grin I know, don't quit my day job!

I have a friend that hangs Goofy from his pack.

I have a have a wife that accompanies me...I don't hang her from my pack, but I know she wished she could "hang me" for some of the outings we have been on.
Posted By: quillansculpture Re: Footwear? - 11/18/09 07:14 PM
+ @ti2d.......
Hey, I claimed "Tucker" first!!!!

On the serious side, "Tucker" is coming in from Atlanta and going to be hiking in Death valley with his dad in February.
Dad, "Bulldog" says he will introduce anyone interested :-)

He even told me he's buying the beers. Not sure if "Tucker" is old enough to drink.
Posted By: Bulldog34 Re: Footwear? - 11/18/09 07:27 PM
Originally Posted By: + @ti2d
=I have a have a wife that accompanies me...I don't hang her from my pack, but I know she wished she could "hang me" for some of the outings we have been on.

A couple of years ago I talked my wife into hiking a less-than-leisurely trail at Mt. Rainier with me. By the last third of the trek she would have gladly dangled from my pack.
Posted By: Bulldog34 Re: Footwear? - 11/18/09 07:35 PM
Originally Posted By: quillansculpture
+ @ti2d.......
Hey, I claimed "Tucker" first!!!!

On the serious side, "Tucker" is coming in from Atlanta and going to be hiking in Death valley with his dad in February.
Dad, "Bulldog" says he will introduce anyone interested :-)

He even told me he's buying the beers. Not sure if "Tucker" is old enough to drink.

Gotta remember - dog years. He's 8, but that = 56. He's older than me.

No firm dates yet, but I suspect the last weekend of February I'll be standing at some watering hole in Lone Pine or environs waiting to buy anyone/everyone a drink associated with WPS or WZ that have provided great advice to me over the past year. Or who are just thirsty . . .
Posted By: Bulldog34 Re: Footwear? - 11/18/09 08:10 PM
Oh yeah, and thanks for the footwear feedback folks.

Amazing how these threads always seem to evolve . . .
Posted By: + @ti2d Re: Footwear? - 11/18/09 08:23 PM
Too bad Tioga Pass won't be open in time...

All righty, quillansculpture! Belly up to the bar!

B - double E - double R - U - N!!!
Posted By: + @ti2d Re: Footwear? - 11/18/09 08:24 PM
Evolution good.
© WhitneyZone Message Board