Mt Whitney Zone
Posted By: Steve C Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 02/17/11 05:46 AM
Mt. Whitney Lottery Progress Reports - 2011

January, 2012 update:  For 2012 permit lottery information, use these links:
    Mt Whitney Permit Reservations 2012
    2012 Whitney Permit Lottery information now available

April 27 update  For future reference, here are copies of the Calendars of dates available for the Whitney Main Trail as of April 20, 2011.        
                   Day Use Mt Whitney Zone             Overnight Mt Whitney trail

The links below are for the currently updated versions

April 4 update  The Calendar of Dates with permits still available after the lottery processing has completed is now posted,
...for Day Hikes:   Day Use Mt Whitney Zone
...for overnight backpack trips:   Overnight Mt Whitney trail

March 31 update   is here.

March 24 update   is here.

March 10 update   is here.

Here's a related thread:  Fighting Permit angst.. alternate trip suggestions?

Lottery Application Information:  Mt. Whitney Lottery Application 2011

Inyo National Forest posted an update, March 24:  Lottery progress as of March 24, 2011

Quote:
Lottery progress as of February 16, 2011.
All dates are currently available.
Deadline to apply: postmark of March 15, 2011
New arrivals will be stirred into the box each day.
This year's lottery, so far:

4,894 Mail Received
4,643 Accepted into the Box
251 Rejected
81 Reservations Made
0 Applications Not Successful

Last Year's Success Rate: 54.7%
7,333 Applications

What happens to any left over space?
There is a freeze on reservation transactions from March 15 to April 20, while people receive their lottery results and any errors are resolved.
Any remaining space and space from cancellations will be added back to the calendar of available dates after April 1. If you wish to add to your group size, or change dates you can reserve the remaining space in the end of April.
      For trips starting in May, June & July; apply April 20, 2011
      For trips starting August, September & October; apply April 27, 2011

We can NOT report on the status of your application. It is impossible to find or intercept an application at this time. Results will be sent by mail.

Thanks from all the staff,
Wilderness Permit Reservations Office

How do we do it?

Applications are stirred into random order .....
and put in a big box.

After February 15, we begin making reservations from applications drawn at random.

Late arrivals are added to the box each day.

As each application is drawn, a reservation is made
if quota space is still available for the entry date and
the group size you requested.

Expect notification of results by mail ...after April 1st

Note #2:  For a look at how they process the applications, see this thread:
    Look who has her hand in the cookie jar...

The 2010 Lottery Progress thread is here.
Posted By: Brent N Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 02/17/11 07:36 PM
I'm eager for any news. Thanks for posting.

Brent N
Posted By: Steve C Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 02/23/11 03:41 AM

Here is an update:

Quote:
Lottery progress as of February 22, 2011.

Some dates in July and August are starting to fill up.
Deadline to apply: postmark of March 15, 2011

New arrivals will be stirred into the box each day.
This year's lottery, so far:

6,021 Mail Received
5,698 Accepted into the Box
326 Rejected
1,451 Reservations Made
17 Applications Not Successful

Posted By: Joel M. Baldwin Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 02/23/11 07:36 PM
326 rejected

What are some of the causes for these rejections?
Am I correct in thinking that an attempt for a reservation isn't even made for these rejected entries?
Posted By: Steve C Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 02/23/11 08:13 PM
I would imagine an application with no check and no credit card info (or no signature, etc with the credit card) is rejected.

They probably return the applications.

Maybe I can get more info....
Posted By: quillansculpture Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 02/24/11 01:12 AM
No CC hit yet :-(
Posted By: Brent N Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 02/25/11 07:45 PM
It was around this time last year that people started reporting credit card hits. I took a quick look at our summary of expenses that Wells Fargo posted today on the website. Running my eyes down the list I saw "Whitney" and for a microsecond of rapture, I thought I had confirmation of a succesful Whitney lottery, but in my skimming over the entries, the Whitney that I saw was for our piano teacher named Whitney.

Back to waiting.
Posted By: NJ hiker Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 02/25/11 09:04 PM
Brent, I feel your pain...good story and thanks for sharing
I am trying to look at my expenses very casually, sort of peeking, just in case....
Posted By: lynn-a-roo Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 02/26/11 12:38 AM
Steve,

Thank you for the lottery update.

I and my friends applied for mid-September. We're keeping our fingers crossed.
Posted By: quillansculpture Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 02/26/11 05:31 PM
Hi Lynn, You should have no problem in mid Sept. If not, a walk in should be a piece of cake. Let me know your dates.....I LOVE September on Whitney.

No hit yet for me :-(
Posted By: Bee Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 02/26/11 05:49 PM
I could not agree more with the September season being choice (I am too lazy to do the lottery, so walk-in is my method). Unless a person enjoys high fiving others on the switchbacks every two seconds (not!!! unless it is CatPappy passing by) the further you get away from summer, the better. I have never been on the mountain during high season (out of two times) and I STILL thought that the place was over-crowded (hey, I am spoiled; I am used to seeing one or two people at the most)
Posted By: catpappy Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 02/26/11 06:10 PM
I'll second that thought on September travel. Mosquitos gone, lighning storms on the decrease, less folks, cooler temps. Wait to late though, and you'll be flirting with snowfall. I didn't put in for a permit this year also. May travel out around my b'day 9/25 and do Miter Basin again.

John
Posted By: Steve C Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 02/26/11 06:37 PM
Originally Posted By: Joel M. Baldwin
326 rejected

What are some of the causes for these rejections?
Am I correct in thinking that an attempt for a reservation isn't even made for these rejected entries?

I sent a query and here's the report:

About half are payment related, and most common:
Checks dated 2010, made out to wrong payee, dollar amount incorrect for group size.

A surprising number just forget to put essential information, like trip dates or the group size. Even a few with no address, no phone, no email...

Now here's a problem...
If the federal budget gets shut down, the workers get furloughed. All lottery work would halt, and it would be a tough time for those laid off.
Posted By: tdtz Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 02/26/11 08:08 PM
no hit on my CC yet....I put in for a variety of dates in July in August. My wife decided that a trip to Hawaii was required this year, so that is impacting my Whitney schedule. I put in for a party of 6.....of which two people have already bailed...LOL. If I wasn't bringing my son on this trip, I would just go for the September hike. Which I am going to do again anyway as a walk-in solo.
Posted By: Jrod8 Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 02/27/11 05:59 PM
I'm New here!....didn't get accepted through the lottery system last year, hoping for the best this year for a group of only 2! I was much more flexible this year and got it in much earlier (before the 15th)....I keep watching my bank account for a hit, but nothing yet! Good luck all!
Posted By: John Lavey Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 03/01/11 02:49 PM
Due to a recent attempted breach on my credit card...had a new card issued by the bank. I thought for sure this would "reject" my lottery application, but I talked to Nicole today and she advises (if I'm successful) they will call first (to get a different credit card #)....this alone will not disqualify me from getting a permit
Whew!
Posted By: Steve C Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 03/01/11 03:27 PM
I have often wondered if people could put an incorrect CC number or expiration date or... to cause the lottery people to give you a call. That way, you would get a call informing you that you were successful. wink

But I'll bet they put those bad CC permit apps into a pile, and call the people AFTER all the valid CC's are charged.
Posted By: Bulldog34 Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 03/01/11 03:42 PM
That eases my mind a lot. My bank just upgraded my VISA without my asking for it - and of course it's a new number. Replaces the VISA I used for the lottery app, and I was sure I'd get rejected if they tried to authorize the old number. Fingers crossed.
Posted By: John Lavey Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 03/04/11 07:49 PM
Hi Steve, Any updates to the Whitney Lottery?
Posted By: Steve C Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 03/04/11 09:45 PM
I'll post them as soon as I get them.

But about now, they are in the thick of the process, processing the applications and filling slots or rejecting them. If it is like years before, they don't actually start charging CC numbers or sending out notices until mid/late-March.

Rather than bother anyone, I'll just wait patiently, so they can get the work done as quickly as possible. If I don't hear later next week, I'll see what I can find out.

Edit: This thread continues to page 2
Posted By: NJ hiker Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 03/10/11 03:47 PM
Hi Steve. Thanks for keeping tabs on progress for all of us. Ugh no hits to the bank card yet and a 55% chance of getting a spot....this not knowing is starting to feel frustrating, but it is only my first year. I've seen posts from three and four time 'losers' so I guess your first lottery process is the most closely watched and every year after that is old hat or you choose to not participate anymore and just show up for a permit. Well, March is just about a third over....
Posted By: JimC Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 03/10/11 08:04 PM
Hi NJ Hiker.
Last year I received my permit Saturaday March 13th (credit card hit) and had it in my mail Wed March 17th. A number of others received theirs starting a few days earlier. Most it seems received notification of their permits later. So, hopefully we will be getting them soon.
Jim
Posted By: Steve C Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 03/10/11 11:18 PM
Lottery progress as of March 9, 2011.

7,335 Mail Received
350 Rejected ( sent back for corrections )
6,988 Accepted into the Box
3,436 Reservations Made
2,353 Applications Not Successful ( no space for requested dates )
1,200 Applications yet to process, more arriving daily

With the extended application period (closes March 15), they are still accepting applications, so they can not predict when processing will be done.

They expect to start charging credit cards by the end of next week ~3/17 or so. Same for cashing checks.

Mailing reject notices will begin after the March 15 deadline. Mailing success notices begins when credit card and check processing begins.

Posted By: Nei Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 03/11/11 03:51 AM
Thank you, Steve! I keep looking at this every week.
Posted By: iteach4th Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 03/17/11 10:10 PM
I'm unclear on how the lottery works? I sent in my application on the first day and requested any weekday in July or the first part of August. I didn't think I would have a problem until I started reading blogs and message boards. At first I though all applications were looked over as they were received and reservations made if there was availability. Now I'm wondering if it's more a raffle style, with all the submitted applications in a big basket and they pull a certain number of applications out each day (half of them never even getting looked at because they weren't pulled)? I'm not sure I want to admit this.... but on Feb. 16, I actually had my visa set to send me my cell a text message everyday so I can monitor my account and see if I get a hit from Whitney. I actually feel sad each day when there is nothing. Maybe tomorrow!??!?!!
Posted By: wagga Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 03/17/11 10:29 PM
iteach4th: It's very high-tech. It involves a leaf-blower and the stair-well. You can read about it here.
Posted By: quillansculpture Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 03/17/11 11:20 PM
wagga, that's not what I heard. Someone very high up the chain of Forest Service personnel told me that after they get all the applications for the lottery, they take them up to the Owens River crossing in Laws. Then they dump them in the river. Between Bishop and Big Pine, many get caught up in the tree falls, weeds, reeds and sometimes get stuck on sand banks. Many do get through though and if they can get past the musk rats, fishing lines and other obstacles, there's a good chance they can make it to the major obstacle, Tinemaha Reservoir. Then it gets tricky. If the winds aren't blowing strong to the South, the applications can just lie around the lake for weeks, many just drifting to the bottom. But, the lucky ones reach the outlet at the Southwest corner of the reservoir. If they don't get shredded up whooshing through the pipes, then they get back into the flow of the Owens River. From there, it's just a short journey to the Los Angeles Aqueduct. After passing Independence a few of them reach Lone Pine. At that point, Doug reaches down with a fishing net and scoops up the lucky winners and takes them to the Eastern Sierra Interangency Center and Forest Service Dept off the 136!!! I'm so excited.......I think mine will be a lucky one. Good luck.
Posted By: iteach4th Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 03/18/11 12:33 AM
OOHHHH man, it's just how I imagined it in my head. Tell me it's not so. I think I saw my application get blown under the copy machine.... Thanks for the info, the process is clear to me now.
Posted By: passion2explore Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 03/19/11 10:48 AM
I'm a first-timer in the lottery. Like everyone else, I've been checking my bank account twice a day. Good news! My check was cashed on 3-18 and I'm in! I mailed it on Feb. 1. grin
Posted By: iteach4th Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 03/19/11 01:42 PM
That's great! I just checked my credit card and no hit. crazy I too mailed mine in on Feb. 1. Maybe Monday will bring good news. I'm learning just how impatient I really am.
Posted By: CaT Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 03/20/11 01:28 AM
Mailed mine in early Feb. Still no credit card hit yet. Checking at least daily.
Hi Jim and all other Whitney Lottery hopefuls,
So it is after St Patricks day and - drum roll please -NOTHING.
I checked the bank account and no Inyo Forest transaction. Anyone else have anything more positive to report?
Posted By: NJ hiker Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 03/20/11 02:53 AM
CONGRATS! Now you can make firm plans. Do you know when are you are going? Or did you put in a ton of dates in several months, like me?
Posted By: passion2explore Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 03/20/11 11:18 AM
I should get confirmation in mail on dates I had chosen soon for my wilderness permit, based on other hikers past experience. Hopefully this week. I applied as a single hiker. I often wonder how many groups of 15 are chosen, which obviously takes a lot of single or double hikers out of the mix. My dates were during the the last two weeks of June (might need crampons)weekdays only, and 3 weekdays in Sept. during second week. I live in Delaware. Assuming the NJ is Jersey! cool
I have been rejected cry. I asked for 1 person entering any day from last week in July through 1st week of Sept. The stamp on my returned permit was Feb 11. The 2nd stamp was "No Quota Space For Dates Requested".

Guess I'll have to wing it. Show up and hope there is a cancellation. Sounds like many others have been successful doing this.

Good luck to all

Jim
REJECTED!!!

A bit surprised...I gave a rather extensive list that started on July 2nd and ended in the third week of August. With only 8 days at the end of July excluded.

My plan now is to go up at my leisure, see if I can get walk-in permits and if I can't, just head up to Meysan Lake and then bag Mallory and Irvine.
Hey y'all. New to the forums and a first time lottery participant. Just thought I'd say hi and share in the agony of waiting for the final word from the powers that be.

No charge to my card yet, and no word in the mail.
REJECTED!!!!

Sorry Gary, Unless you get lucky....it's the old fashioned way.
Rejected!!!
I requested mid-week dates in mid July, mid to late September and a boatload of dates in August. All rejected for insufficient quota space. I really thought the mid to late September dates would be safe back up dates.

Brent N
Joe,
you and Gary and the rest of your climbing party can join me, my son and a couple of friends on the meysan lake trail and on up to Mallory and Irvine.

With all of the snow this year, I'm thinking August, but now i have complete flexibility on when I schedule the trip, so July is still open too.
Tom
Posted By: ddmansprty Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 03/21/11 11:30 PM
Wow... I don't like the trend I am seeing....

No CC hit or letter. I guess right now that's a good thing.

Good luck to those that haven't heard anything yet. So far I received my permit on my first try 4 years ago and nothing since.
Joe (and everyone else wringing their hands about a cc hit, notification or rejection), even though I have to travel 2000 miles to play on Whitney, and even though I've only hit the lottery once in five years of trying, I've moved pretty strongly into the Steve C mode of thinking regarding permits.

In other words, NO WORRIES. Here's why:

During the Whitney high-demand season of July, August and September, there are 92 possible days to snag a permit. In 2010, how many of those 92 days would you guess that there were ultimately no permits available for people that wanted them?

The answer is a grand total of 4. Let me say that again - 4. That's 4 days out of 92 that someone might have walked up to the Inter-Agency center in Lone Pine seeking either/or permits - a dayhike permit for the next day or an overnight permit for the same day - and walked away without one. And, predictably, all four of those days were Saturdays (1 in July, 2 in August, 1 in September).

Now, if you break that down into "I must have an overnight permit", the numbers go up a bit - to 15 out of 92 days. However, if you're willing to take what's available between dayhike and overnight combined, the number is just 4 days that you would have left empty-handed. Another tasty number-crunching factoid: No one was turned away for either permit on Wednesday last year, except for the one Wednesday in mid-July in the middle of the Badwater Ultra-Marathon - day permits were exhausted, but overnight permits were available. In fact it was the next day, Thursday, that Joe and I went up Whitney on an overnight permit I snagged from calling for cancellations just two days prior - during Badwater!

Another 2010 factoid: there were never two conscutive weekdays during the summer when permits of either type were unavailable, and only rarely 2 consecutive weekend days.

The lesson? Chill about the lottery. Yeah, I know it's nice being certain, and having your permit letter in hand before you make your plans, but history shows that if you simply head to Lone Pine in the summer and (1) have a little bit of flexibility, and (2) try to avoid weekends, you will almost certainly snag that permit to climb Whitney.

So folks, do not tank all your plans and walk away because you don't get a lottery permit - big mistake! Use a little smarts in organizing your trip and a permit will be there in Lone Pine waiting for you.

If you want to investigate the numbers yourself, the details are here .
Posted By: ddmansprty Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 03/22/11 12:30 AM
That's good advice. I was already hoping for a walk up permit for the three days I am staying in the area after labor day weekend. I was hoping for two trips this year. I guess my odds would certainly be better if I already planned multiple trips.

I guess instead of summit fever I have permit fever...
I know that Gary..... and you are absolutely correct on all points. And, I've walked in a couple of times. But really, do I actually enter the lottery to get a permit to hike Whitney? I mean, it's $15.00 each for a permit. It's free if you do a walk in. No, I actually enter because I just want to WIN something!!!!!!

See ya in July..............
Posted By: iteach4th Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 03/22/11 10:48 AM
Wow, so many rejection notices and only 1 person with a reservation! Any other reservations??? I haven't heard a thing and have expressed my OCD by checking my credit card 2 times a day since February 16. I think you guys are right... walk up is the way to go. However, I too would like to feel like I have won something now that I'm this deep in the lottery process, hahaha. What will today bring????
Posted By: CaT Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 03/22/11 02:53 PM
I normally do walk-up any more when we're out in California (eve though we're coming from Ohio), and we've never been denied. But this year, I'm taking anywhere from 1-3 friends from Ohio along, and they are more likely to want the guarantee of a reserved permit before committing to air fare, etc., since our whole trip out there is to do Mt. Whitney (and Yosemite on the way in from San Fran).

Nonetheless, the trend does not seem to be heading in the most favorable direction so far, even for those who got theirs in early and requested midweek, etc., which is exactly what I did. Time will tell.

CaT
Posted By: Pikester Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 03/22/11 03:47 PM
I have an eager 15 year old from Toronto that wants to be sure that we're doing this, this summer.

So, to those of you that have done the walk-up, have you done a group or just single? We'd have a minimum of three in our group and I'm wondering if that would be more difficult to snag.
Posted By: Akichow Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 03/22/11 03:57 PM
I did a walk up on a Friday in mid-July last year for an overnight permit. About 10 overnight permits were available, and I was the 11th so it looked like I would miss out. Then someone gave up a permit, so I was golden.

When you do the walk up, they basically do a mini lottery that morning. So, if you were the first to be picked on the day I showed up, and you needed 10 permits, you would have gotten all of them (and everyone else would have been out of luck). Obviously, the fewer permits you need, the more likely you will be able to get all the permits you need....
Posted By: quillansculpture Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 03/22/11 05:52 PM
And don't forget, there is the secondary lottery you can enter for dates that weren't chosen, and/or full. That's how I got 5 reservations for the day after Labor Day.
Posted By: Steve C Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 03/22/11 06:47 PM
> ...there is the secondary lottery you can enter...

Joe, can you explain? I'm not sure what you are referring to.
Posted By: whitneywannab Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 03/22/11 09:50 PM
Hi Iteach4th,

Add me to the list of REJECTS! but not to worry, where there is a will, there is a way....and I'm thinking we have lots of WILL baby!

MB
Posted By: Steve C Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 03/22/11 10:34 PM
Since they didn't need to run a credit card or cash a check, they probably sent all the reject notices out first.

So no info is a good thing!
Posted By: iteach4th Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 03/22/11 11:42 PM
I'm a whitneywannab too and I'm sorry to hear you didn't get a spot! I still haven't heard and have check my c.c. a few times today.... and nothing in the mail either. I'm hoping no news is good news. You are very right about WILL... even if I get rejected I plan to make it up there. I have the entire summer off and will figure it out. Good luck to you!
Posted By: quillansculpture Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 03/23/11 12:37 AM
On the second page of your rejection letter, there are dates where you can apply for "leftover dates", dates that were not chosen previously. If I remember correctly, you send in another form with the dates you would like and if there is space available, you get the date. If someone chose before you, you don't. That's how I got my Labor Day date a couple of years back. I am guessing it's first come first served, not lottery style, but you still have to get some luck.
There should be some nice dates available, but we won't know until we see the calendars (after April 1st) with available dates.
Originally Posted By: Bulldog34
The lesson? Chill about the lottery. Yeah, I know it's nice being certain, and having your permit letter in hand before you make your plans, but history shows that if you simply head to Lone Pine in the summer and (1) have a little bit of flexibility, and (2) try to avoid weekends, you will almost certainly snag that permit to climb Whitney.

So folks, do not tank all your plans and walk away because you don't get a lottery permit - big mistake! Use a little smarts in organizing your trip and a permit will be there in Lone Pine waiting for you.

If you want to investigate the numbers yourself, the details are here .

This strategy is not without its risks. I was in a group of 4 that showed up the 2nd to last weekend in August 2009 on a Thursday. No permits available. We stayed for Friday. Permits were available, we were first in line as the doors opened, but the office ran a mini-lottery for the 10 or 15 people in line (although not everyone wanted overnight Whitney permits). We drew #3, but the guy that drew #2 grabbed the last 4 for his group. Nothing looked available for Saturday.

On the topic of 2011 permits. We received out rejection today. Our application list of dates was quite long. With the last line being 5 permits for any Thursday or Friday in July, August, or September.
jbrooks, sorry to hear you got the TBNT. Most of us seem to. Re the recommendations I was making to go ahead and try for cancellations or walk-ins rather than abandon plans altogether, my two caveats were (1) be flexibile and (2) avoid weekend start days (Friday/Saturday, primarily). Clearly, some folks can only do Whitney over an extended weekend. In that case, I think trying for a Sunday or Monday permit would be the way to go if at all possible.

The odds are in your favor, but it's still a gamble. The House will occassionally win, but not often. You're correct that the strategy has risks - but if you fail in the lottery, it's your only strategy.

I strongly recommend not waiting to walk in to make your efforts. About two weeks out from your planned target date, begin calling the Bishop Inyo NFS office (not the Lone Pine IA Center) twice a day, asking about cancellations to re-reserve. Some courteous people will cancel their permits when they see they will not make the trip, rather than just no-show since the reservation is nob-refundable. This typically happans within a two-week window of their permit date, and peaks within 3-5 days of permit date. Calling twice a day gives you latitude to take advantage of cancellations they may receive at different times of the day. You call at 9:00 a.m. looking for a July 15 permit. No go. Joe Blow calls later in the day and cancels 3 permits for July 15. If you don't call again before the end of the day, someone else will almost certainly get those permits.

Yes, you have to pay a reservation fee this way, rather than getting them free as a walk-in, but if having permits guaranteed is important to you, $15 ain't much. I got two that way last July. I also walked in in August of '09 and picked up a day permit.
Originally Posted By: jbrooks
This strategy is not without its risks. I was in a group of 4 that showed up the 2nd to last weekend in August 2009 on a Thursday. No permits available. We stayed for Friday. Permits were available, we were first in line as the doors opened, but the office ran a mini-lottery for the 10 or 15 people in line (although not everyone wanted overnight Whitney permits). We drew #3, but the guy that drew #2 grabbed the last 4 for his group. Nothing looked available for Saturday.

jbrooks, that's too bad. Looking at the Unused Whitney Permits 2009 info, I can see that weekend was completely full for overnighters. There were plenty of dayhike permits left though. If you had only tried Monday or Tuesday of that week or the following, you would have hiked.

In most weeks during the summer, in the overnight permits, there is space left. (Unfortunately, as more and more people learn this, there will be fewer of those days.)
Is the volume up this year compared to last? Looking at the March 9th status update, it seems like that's a huge amount of requests and a huge amount of unsuccessful applications. I seem to recall stats from 2010 being much more forgiving already, but I can't find the stats I'm referring to.

When people request groups, are there lots of 15-person requests that fill things up quickly? Just curious.

-K
Posted By: NJ hiker Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 03/23/11 10:04 PM
Hi Passion2explore. Yes, NJ is 'New Jersey' for those who don't live the 'Jersey Shore ' lifestyle (I have been told the actors and actresses on that show are from Staten Island, lol). Yup DE is a lovely little flatland state, just over the bridge at Trenton. And ya gotta love those taxes on shopping --NOT!
So I am in the 'no CC hit but no letter' so I am expecting my rejection at this point. I see from the list that others more mighty than us have been rejected!
Posted By: NJ hiker Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 03/23/11 10:13 PM

You said:
"I guess instead of summit fever I have permit fever..."

LOL that is so true!You made my evening with that thought. Thanks for putting it in perspective! smile
Posted By: whitneywannab Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 03/23/11 10:55 PM
Hi Iteach4th!

Thank you for the condolences. I am bummed, along with the other "rejects", but I am cheering you on!! One way or another, I am going to make it to the top of that mountain, and I know you sound like a pretty determined person and will get there too. I am just hoping I don't have to do it in a bear costume..hahaha

MB
Originally Posted By: kurt765
Is the volume up this year compared to last? Looking at the March 9th status update, it seems like that's a huge amount of requests and a huge amount of unsuccessful applications. I seem to recall stats from 2010 being much more forgiving already, but I can't find the stats I'm referring to.

When people request groups, are there lots of 15-person requests that fill things up quickly? Just curious.

-K

Kurt, last year, they processed 7,333 applications, and 55% were successful. So that means there were 3300 rejects, and 4033 successful.

This year, as of March 9, they had received almost the same number, 7,335. With only 6 days after that where they were accepting applications, I doubt the number rose much higher.

I am pretty sure they just took the whole pile of rejects, stuffed them into envelopes, and mailed them. It is easier to mail those than to run the credit cards or cash the checks on the successful ones. Since there are so few successes being reported, the longer you wait, (in my mind) the more likely you are to have gotten a slot.
The Lottery reservation processing has been completed!
Inyo staff is still working on charging for the successful reservations.
Unsuccessful mail is going out first.

2011 Success Rate:  50.7%
2010 Success Rate:  54.7%  (7,333 Applications)

Here is the Inyo National Forest updae, posted March 24: Lottery progress as of March 24, 2011
Quote:
Mt. Whitney Lottery - progress as of March 24, 2011

Lottery results will be sent by mail in the next few weeks.
It is impossible to report on the status of your application at this time.  We will respond to every application by mail.

What happens to any left over space?  There is a freeze on reservation transactions from March 16 to April 20, while people receive their lottery results.  We are not accepting any new applications at this time.  There is no wait list.

After April 1, any remaining space and space from cancellations will be added back to the calendar of available dates.  If you have questions about your lottery results, please contact us between April 1 and April 19.

If you wish to add to your group size, change dates or apply for a reservation, the remaining space will be available in the end of April.
      For trips starting in May, June & July, apply April 20, 2011
      For trips starting August, September & October, apply April 27, 2011

This year's lottery:

8,162 Mail Received
7,804 Accepted into the Box
358 Rejected
4,138 Reservations Made
3,666 Applications Not Successful

The box is currently empty.

Unsuccessful letters are going in the mail now.  Letters for successful applications will be mailed as we complete the fee collection process.

How do we do it?

and put in a big box.

After February 15, we begin making reservations from applications drawn at random.

Thanks for the update! I must admit to a lot of permit angst, hehe.

Fingers crossed!

Perhaps the electronic system next year will allow us all not to have permit angst.

-K
I've yet to hear anything either way, and no cc hit. I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas. Does the anxiety subside as you enter more of these Whitney lotteries? This is only my first...
I think this is my third or fourth, and the anxiety is still there, although I do believe that a rejection is not going to keep me off the mountain.

Brent
My first as well, no cc hit or rejection.

I am with Brent though, a rejection doesn't mean i wont be on the mountain. It will just mean i'll try to pick a day that isn't a weekend for an unused permit, worst case I will go climb mt Langly smile
I plan on trying my best to get up there even if we miss on the lottery too, but doubtful with the group of 5 that we are trying to plan it with. That's what will likely change for us.
Posted By: Mlaveson Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 03/26/11 12:16 AM
I got my rejection letter last night, but am already putting together my plan B. I'm flying solo on my trip though, so have tons of flexibility.

Anyone who has any advice or experience getting JMT permits from Yosemite Valley for a "walk up" permit, I would love to get your input. Or any tips on JMT in general. Steve has already given me some great ideas and information.

Cheers,
Marc
I checked my credit card records for last year, when I did obtain permits in the lottery. The credit card hit registered March 29, 2010, though I didn't receive notification until a few days later. Based on recent postings, it sounds like they cash checks before they run cards. For this year, I have no hit yet, and also no rejection yet, so still hoping.
Posted By: Sparty85 Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 03/26/11 11:43 AM
Last year was my first year entering the lottery and with blind ignorance I never checked the progress. I assumed that I was just going to get a permit (didn't everybody?) I just happened to see the credit card hit by complete accident, March 31 2010 and received the notice a few days later in the mail. Our group of 4 made the summit on June 28.

This year has been completely different with me checking to see if anything has hit my cc at least twice a day and checking the message board constantly for any information I can get on the progress. So for me it seems like it gets worse the each year.

Still no cc hit, but no rejection letter so I am still in it. Good luck to everyone!
Hi SteteC and all other applicants. I too am still in the 'limbo' pile as of today - no cc hit and no letter so I continue to wait until up to April 20th from what I am reading.

I did the math with an excel spreadsheet and =4138/7804 result is ==> 53% <== for 'Reservations Made' divided by 'Accepted into the Box'. So for non-rejected apps the success rate is a little higher then the 50% posted for 2011 'successful' permit attempts.

Discussed this with my hiking buddies: if we win we go, but if not, we spend a week in Maine this year and plan for a Whitney Summit next year whether we win or not. Hopefully the new lottery software package will be available and then the old timers can nostalgically recount the days of snail-mail and the leaf blower. And I feel certain that the folks who do the Whitney lottery will not be surprised if "all tickets are gone within 23 minutes of being made available". Sheeh, ya think that the Yosemite people would not be surprised when tickets are bought up and scalped within hours of purchase. Guess Whitney hikers are more laid back than Half-Dome hikers.
Thanks for the info Akichow. So there is still a slim chance for us based on how late they ran your card last year. This takes a bit of stress off of the limbo group....just need to be patient another week...
I think our chances are better than slim! I am hoping. But if not, I'll do a walk in. Last year, I did both -- walk in overnight permit for a Friday in mid-July, plus 4 overnight permits through the lottery for Labor Day Weekend. Like the locals say, if you want to climb Whitney, you can, even in peak, yeah, peak season. smile
Check cleared! grin
Originally Posted By: kurt765
Check cleared! grin

Hope you get your "first date."
Congrats!
That's great news! Here's hoping I'll hear something in the next day or two. Here's hoping we ALL hear something in the next day or two.
Congrats!

My credit card for has a pending charge from Inyo for 60 bucks.... I guess that means I'm in too. Can't wait to see what dates I got! cool
GandC , I am with you in sentiment. I am still in limbo, so I hope we all get news soon, this week.

Any suggestions if you get neither confirmed nor rejected? Could they confirm they received your application by your name?
Originally Posted By: NJ hiker
GandC , I am with you in sentiment. I am still in limbo, so I hope we all get news soon, this week.

Any suggestions if you get neither confirmed nor rejected? Could they confirm they received your application by your name?

I don't know about them being able to confirm by name, but that is exactly why I sent both of my apps in by registered mail. I have the name and signature of the person at the office who signed for it, so I know it's been received.
Posted By: WizardOfCairo Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 03/29/11 11:24 PM
Check cleared!! grin
Posted By: ddmansprty Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 03/30/11 12:21 AM
CC Charged. Hope this means that all the rejection letters have already been sent out to anyone still waiting....

Now I have to wait for my date!
Posted By: WizardOfCairo Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 03/30/11 01:27 AM
Do we know when we should receive the acceptance letters?
Posted By: Steve C Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 03/30/11 02:40 AM
> Do we know when we should receive the acceptance letters?

Just guessing, but I'm thinking that, since the first person's check cleared ten days ago, yet nobody has reported receiving a letter, that they are holding all acceptance letters until most checks are cashed and CCs charged. Then all acceptance letters go out at once.

In the past, people have complained because getting their acceptances later than others makes it difficult to reserve campground spots at the Whitney Portal campground. So if all letters go out about the same time, everyone should have an equal shot at camp sites.
Posted By: CaT Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 03/30/11 02:16 PM
[A la "Ghostbusters"]:

We GOT one...!!!!!

Translated: Credit card "hit" this morning!!

Woooo hoooo!!!!

CaT

PS - IF we get our first choice date, it will be July 28 (we are dayhiking the MT)
Posted By: wedbe11 Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 03/30/11 02:23 PM
Well I still haven't gotten a hit on on cc or any letter. I am super nervous because we wanted to get married on Mt.Whit this Summer and then have a ceremony on our property following for the flatlanders. All my family is on the east coast and everyone is bugging me on when the date is going to be... We wanted to hike with 6 people and 3 of them need to fly in so we need to have ceremony on property the same week. But we have no idea if that will even happen :-(. I can only be hopeful that we hear some good news soon!
Posted By: Brent N Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 03/30/11 04:10 PM
Originally Posted By: wedbe11
we wanted to get married on Mt.Whit this Summer and then have a ceremony on our property following for the flatlanders.

Wedbe11, are you sure about this plan of getting married on the highest peak in the lower 48? Everything will be downhill from there.

In all seriousness, good luck on the reservations and far more importantly on the marriage.

Brent N
Posted By: wedbe11 Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 03/30/11 06:39 PM
Thanks Brett,
Life is about an ADVENTURE! and we just GOT HIT!!!! YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY! There will be life filled with ups and downs but we are always gonna help eachother get back up:-) THANK YOU FOR PICKING US!!
Posted By: Steve C Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 03/30/11 08:42 PM
Contratulations, wedbe!

Did you put in for an overnight or day hike?

Are you planning on having the ceremony at the summit?

Wow!
Posted By: EPS Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 03/30/11 08:55 PM
I checked my account this AM with no signs of action. BUT, this afternoon I had different news. I got the CC ping I was looking for...

So far I am 1 for 1 with the Mt. Whitney application process. I am very grateful and wait with great expectation for my dates. I hope to see you up there!
Posted By: wagga Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 03/30/11 09:50 PM
we wanted to get married on Mt.Whit this Summer and then have a ceremony on our property following for the flatlanders.

Catering by the Smithsonian Hut Starbucks?
Posted By: GandC Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 03/30/11 10:09 PM
I still got NOTHIN'! I'm dying over here!
Posted By: Sublatum Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 03/30/11 10:39 PM
You and I both :-) Hang in there!
Posted By: + @ti2d Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 03/31/11 09:30 AM
Well I still haven't gotten a hit on on cc or any letter. I am super nervous because we wanted to get married on Mt.Whit this Summer and then have a ceremony on our property following for the flatlanders. All my family is on the east coast and everyone is bugging me on when the date is going to be... We wanted to hike with 6 people and 3 of them need to fly in so we need to have ceremony on property the same week. But we have no idea if that will even happen :-(. I can only be hopeful that we hear some good news soon!

Congratulation on your upcoming Whitney nuptials.

My wife and I were married by the Portal Falls in July 2007 and took our "honeymoon hike" to Lone Pine Lake that day. We had our pre-wedding dinner in the private room at the Pizza Factory in Lone Pine. My brother-in-law was my best man, and my stepdaughter was the maid of honor. My wife wore a white dress. I wore my North Face shorts and vest, white Columbia hiking shirt, and Nike sandals (I should have tucked my shirt in but oh well). My in-laws were also in attendance from Juniper Hills and Oakhurst. Ate our "honeymoon fries" at the Portal Store compliments of Doug Sr. We later celebrated at Seasons before whisking my wife away and carrying her over the threshold at Room 50 at the Dow Villa. Very romantic day our wedding day.

We celebrated our first anniversary on July 2008 with a summit hike with a family friend, BruinDave. Mother Nature unleased her fury that day.

Here is my suggestion if you are doing a dayhike. Get the formal ceremony done at the Portal Area the day before. Do your Whitney hike the following day and consummate your wedding with a "photo formal" at the summit. Less pressure for the bride, groom and pastor.

Now, if you are doing an overnighter, then forget the aforementioned and GO FOR IT!

Just a suggestion, but hey it is YOUR wedding. Hope you get the date of your first choice.
Posted By: wedbe11 Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 03/31/11 01:17 PM
Thanks Everyone! We want to do a quick ceremony at the summit. We put down a both over night and day. We would much prefer overnight and hoping for end of July beginning of August.
Posted By: GandC Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 03/31/11 05:54 PM
Well, my cc got hit for my 3 man trip in September a little while ago. That's great news! I'm hoping I get one more hit for the 5 man group I put in for in July, too. I can't see it not going through since I haven't received a rejection, and apparently I did all of the application process correctly.

Woo-hoo!
Posted By: ejsurfs Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 03/31/11 06:09 PM
After being on pins and needles for a few weeks about the lottery I checked my bank account yesterday morning. The checks cleared. I have permits. Now the trick is finding someone who wants to climb it. I doubt my husband will be up for climbing twice this year.
Posted By: Akichow Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 03/31/11 09:06 PM
Woo-hoo! Add me to the credit card hits! Don't know my dates, but I got two overnight permits for some weekend in July or August!
Posted By: NJ hiker Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 03/31/11 09:15 PM
First, a big CONGRATS to Wedbe11! That is so romantic--what a wonderful way to begin your married life.

Next: HOORAY! I casually checked my cc account today and now have a pending charge for $45 so I can't wait to find out which date we got. I called my hiking buddy and she can't believe it. She said now she will really need to assess her gear and get it ready for sometime in Sept (most likely) or August (last choice).

Hugs, profound thanks, and love to everyone on this list, especially Steve C, who organized this, guided us, and helped keep us newbies sane. This is a wonderful little Mt Whitney family. A big special thanks to Akichow, who told me about the cc hit on March 31st last year, and sho 'nuf: mine came today! For those of you still in limbo--hang in there! Maybe tomorrow is your day!

Wow--what a long, strange journey this 'permit feaver' has been...
Posted By: NJ hiker Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 03/31/11 09:18 PM
CONGRATS! And kuel! Those weekends must be really hard to get. Now go out and buy a lottery ticket: you certainly are on a winning streak!
Posted By: GandC Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 03/31/11 09:21 PM
If they try to charge my cc tomorrow, I'm screwed. I've come to realize that my cc expires 03/11.

Didn't we go over this though? Didn't somebody say they'll call in these cases?

Please say yes... please say yes... please say yes...
Good idea on the registered mail, GandC--I'll do that next time. I have always had luck with the US Mail service itself--it's usually the folks inside the place it went to that misplace the mail...my home included lol
Posted By: Akichow Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 04/01/11 01:20 AM
Congrats, NJ Hiker! Maybe see you on the mountain!
Posted By: Steve C Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 04/01/11 02:06 AM
Originally Posted By: GandC
If they try to charge my cc tomorrow, I'm screwed. I've come to realize that my cc expires 03/11.

Didn't we go over this though? Didn't somebody say they'll call in these cases?

Please say yes... please say yes... please say yes...

Yes, they will call you. But I think they might wait until all the others are processed before they start calling.
Posted By: lawnerd Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 04/01/11 02:24 AM
I got my reservation in the mail today! Permit for 10/1! It was the last alternate date on my application. Barely made it I guess!
Posted By: Bee Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 04/01/11 02:30 AM
Lucky you! This is the best time of year to be on the mountain (both times I have been on Whitney was in the fall) no crowds, cool temps, early autumn color. All of the water sources will be running, except the switchback spring most likely will be down to a trickle. Low temps can vary; the more experienced can offer up more details ( I was perfectly comfortable using a 20 degree bag and a bivy)

Posted By: lawnerd Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 04/01/11 02:36 AM
This is my first trip to Whitney. I posted a topic under General Discussion for advice! Sounds good thus far! Thanks!
Posted By: Julie Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 04/01/11 02:40 AM
laugh I got a credit card hit! I feel like I just caught a big fish. Now, I'll have to wait to see what date I got. I put in both overnight, and one day trips in my list. I've been checking every day.
Posted By: GandC Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 04/01/11 05:22 AM
Originally Posted By: Julie
laugh I got a credit card hit! I feel like I just caught a big fish. Now, I'll have to wait to see what date I got. I put in both overnight, and one day trips in my list. I've been checking every day.

Same here Julie. Now that I know I'm going, I'm excited as all get up, but now I can't wait to find out what days, if it's overnight or day trip, etc. The anxiety appears to be never ending in this process.
Posted By: Brent N Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 04/01/11 12:56 PM
Up, up and away!!!!!
My bank showed the USFS cashing a check on a permit for the week of July 19th! Woohoooo! grin

Brent N
Posted By: Steve C Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 04/01/11 02:25 PM
Well, let me be the first to report:

I just received my success notice in the mail: FIRST CHOICE, overnight permit for 8 people, July 3. We will summit on the Fourth of July!!!

...but wait... there is one catch....

Click to reveal..
April Fool!!!! grin grin grin

Posted By: CaT Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 04/01/11 02:45 PM
Good one, Steve!!
Posted By: Jrod8 Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 04/01/11 05:03 PM
I am starting to think my application is still sitting in their stairwell....still nothing here, no reject letter or cc hit...anyone else still in limbo???
Posted By: NJ hiker Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 04/01/11 05:27 PM
HAHAHAHA spit my coffee all over the screen! Good one though....
Posted By: NJ hiker Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 04/01/11 05:30 PM
Congrats Brent!Just curious--how do you know it is for the week of July 19th? Is it the only date you picked? The cc transactons do not say anything about dates...
Posted By: GandC Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 04/01/11 05:55 PM
Originally Posted By: Jrod8
I am starting to think my application is still sitting in their stairwell....still nothing here, no reject letter or cc hit...anyone else still in limbo???

I was still in limbo on both of my apps until yesterday. I got one hit on my cc for one of the apps. Still no rejection or cc hit for the other app. I get the feeling things are going to start happening a little faster over the next week or so.
Posted By: Jrod8 Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 04/01/11 06:24 PM
CC Hit!!! Im in!!! Congrats all!!
Posted By: Sublatum Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 04/01/11 06:41 PM
Don't feel alone, I am still in limbo as well.
Posted By: CaT Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 04/01/11 07:36 PM
Keep in mind that they don't even allow changes, etc. until April 20, which probably still means they are processing stuff and sending out notices until almost that time.

It's only April 1.
Posted By: Barbara Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 04/01/11 10:07 PM
Just got my permit in the mail this afternoon! I asked for any time in September, 2 nights, and got Sept 19-21. I can't believe it! Yay! Now I have to see who wants to do it with me - and if not...I'll be back, so watch this space. Barbara
Posted By: ddmansprty Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 04/01/11 11:27 PM
I just received my paperwork. Going up June 26th. I put down so many dates, I can't remember where that ranked on my list of dates.

I'm shooting for a walk up permit Sept 10, which is the weekend before my birthday.

Very excited.
Posted By: lawnerd Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 04/01/11 11:36 PM
Does it typically become easier to get walk-up permits as it gets later in the season?
Posted By: Rod Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 04/01/11 11:39 PM
Dang you Steve. You are the only one to "get" me today.
Congrats to all who recieved that cherished permit.
Posted By: lynn-a-roo Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 04/02/11 01:02 AM
I just got word that there's an envelope waiting for me at home, something about Mt. Whitney. Geez, this is just like Christmas, I can't wait to get home from work to see which date I and my friends received for our MW trek this summer.
Posted By: Steve C Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 04/02/11 02:47 AM
Originally Posted By: Rod
Dang you Steve. You are the only one to "get" me today.
Congrats to all who received that cherished permit.

Heh heh. Glad to oblige, Rod.
Posted By: wazzu Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 04/02/11 11:07 AM
My check finally cleared! I'll be up there for an overnight sometime between July 7 and Sep 9.
Posted By: KevinR Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 04/02/11 01:41 PM
Originally Posted By: lawnerd
Does it typically become easier to get walk-up permits as it gets later in the season?

Yes. Once school is back in session, it shifts. Try to avoid Fridays & weekends. Mid-week during September is an excellent time - the weather tends to be stable, and the hikers have a higher level of experience than in summer. The days are shorter though, so if you're dayhiking and want to get out in daylight you will need to start a bit earlier.
Posted By: NJ hiker Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 04/02/11 02:55 PM
High Five JRod8! Congrats
Posted By: NJ hiker Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 04/02/11 03:01 PM
Hi Barbara--congrats! I am hoping for about the same date in September. I live on the east coast and I see CA folks are getting mail so I hope for something in the mail today or Monday with the date. This is so exciting...like waiting for college admission replies lol
Posted By: NJ hiker Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 04/02/11 03:06 PM
Lynn-a-roo, are you home from work yet? lol Just being curious as to what choice you got:top or last....do post when you get a chance, please grin

NJ Hiker
Posted By: quillansculpture Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 04/02/11 03:06 PM
Wazzzzzz...........CONGRATS TO YOU!!!!!! I am so happy for you. I'm just waiting on Gary's.
Remember to let me know your date (I know you will). You're getting up there this time :-)

After you helped that poor guy last year get back safely to the Portal....you deserve this.
Posted By: NJ hiker Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 04/02/11 03:09 PM
Congrats Wazzu! Hope the snowpack melts a bit for you-seems this is a really snowy year: I followed the story of the 37 skiers who had to self-rescue/be rescued after a 6 foot snow storm a few weeks ago. Yosemite was without power for 2 weeks --never heard of that one before!
Posted By: Brent N Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 04/02/11 06:06 PM
Congrats Brent!Just curious--how do you know it is for the week of July 19th? Is it the only date you picked? The cc transactons do not say anything about dates...

Yes, on that application, we asked only for variations of dates in that week.

Good luck everyone.

Brent N
Posted By: Julie Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 04/02/11 07:10 PM
It's part of the fun. This portal is great. Now, the envelope please . . .
Posted By: Bulldog34 Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 04/02/11 07:49 PM
Originally Posted By: quillansculpture
Wazzzzzz...........CONGRATS TO YOU!!!!!! I am so happy for you. I'm just waiting on Gary's.
Remember to let me know your date (I know you will). You're getting up there this time :-)

After you helped that poor guy last year get back safely to the Portal....you deserve this.

Same here Wazzu - after last year's unfortunate turn of events, you definitely deserve another crack! Stay away from the Portal spigots . . .

Joe, still no cc hit or rejection letter, but since I opted for any open date in July, day or overnight, I think we have a decent shot of getting 4 permits at this late stage. Now that I've said that, watch a TBNT notice arrive Monday. Whatever - it's really for the planning of dates. We know we can pick up 4 walk-ins at the IA center if we have to, as long as we play our cards right.
Posted By: SLO2Top Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 04/02/11 10:29 PM
Got my permit reservation letter yesterday! It's for the latest dates I wanted....and I'll take it! Just hoping end of Sept isn't too late, weather wise?

Woot!!
Posted By: Chickadee Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 04/02/11 10:36 PM
I just got my dates in the mail smile. I had no idea the odds were so bad. We had good luck I guess. 11 people, one night for Oct 1&2.
Posted By: PhilSF Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 04/02/11 11:40 PM
#1 Choice came through today--August 25th. Same Thursday in August as the last two years. Last year forced to turn back at Trail Crest because of the thunderstorm that moved in that day. Hoping for better luck this year.
Posted By: Jrod8 Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 04/04/11 04:35 PM
Got my reservation today.. It was my 3rd choice selected, an overnight for July 24 and 25th!!! Can't wait!
Posted By: Sublatum Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 04/04/11 06:15 PM
Well I got the CC hit! Now I wait for dates, which could be anything between late May and late August :)Still nice to know a spot is saved for me.
Posted By: akj Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 04/04/11 07:10 PM
The reservation confirmation form that came in the mail states that group size can be increased by calling their office as long as there are spaces available. I called the office this morning to request an additional spot but was told to call again on April 20th. Have people been successful with increasing their group size this way? We need to increase from 4 to 5 for day hike on July 22..
Posted By: Bulldog34 Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 04/04/11 07:53 PM
Add quillansculpture, my family and I to the successful list. Pending cc authorization appeared today. Now it's a matter of waiting for the notice to see what date and type permit we landed.
Posted By: wazzu Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 04/04/11 08:06 PM
Bulldog....AWESOME!!!!! There is a possibility I might be up there at the same time. It would be great to hike with QS and the Bulldog family.

I'm definitely going to summit this year!!!
Posted By: GandC Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 04/04/11 08:06 PM
I got the info in the mail today regarding the September dates. My first choice for a day trip on September 12. That way we can head up on Friday night, use the weekend to get acclimated, and head up on Monday. Woo-hoo!

Now if I could just find out about the July app I put in...
Posted By: Julie Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 04/04/11 08:35 PM
Hurrah! I got my permit for September 4-5. That means I can use Labor Day weekend to acclimate. I am soooo jazzed. I put down a number of two days requests, and then put down some single day requests. But really wanted a two day permit. Thanks to all for the advice on this website. Any advice about where to stay?
Posted By: quillansculpture Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 04/04/11 08:36 PM
Gary....I LOVE YOU (Barb and Bri too :-)

Now, I'm crossing off all my plans for July except WHITNEY!!!!!!!

I'm planning my dance moves for the summit as I write.
Posted By: lynn-a-roo Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 04/04/11 10:54 PM
QS,..... Oh, wow, I can't wait to see you dancing on the summit. What are you going to wear?

My friends and I got the permit dates in September we wanted. Our dates are September 17th to September 19th.

My friend, Tammy, is all pumped-up to start getting in shape for Mt. Whitney. She emailed me and our hiking girlfriends with a regimen we can begin to start getting in MW Condition....I'll post it here in case any of you need to get in MW Condition too:

Begin by standing on a comfortable surface, where you have plenty of room at each side.

With a 5-lb potato bag in each hand, extend your arms straight out from your sides and hold them there as long as you can. Try to reach a full minute, and then relax.

Each day you'll find that you can hold this position for just a bit longer. After a couple of weeks, move up to 10-lb potato bags.

Then try 50-lb potato bags and then eventually try to get to where you can lift a 100-lb potato bag in each hand and hold your arms straight for more than a full minute.

After you feel confident at that level--

put a potato in each bag.
Posted By: Akichow Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 04/05/11 12:40 AM
Re advice on where to stay:

We did Labor day last year, spent two nights at a reserved site in Onion Valley campground to acclimate. Great acclimitizing hikes near the Onion Valley trailhead -- can go up to one of several lakes, or even all the way to Kearsarge Pass. Then into Lone Pine to pick up your permits, maybe to the Hostel for a last shower, Subway for a sandwich, and onto the trail!

This year, I'll be up for an overnighter on July 23 weekend (yay!). May do an acclimitizing night at Lone Pine Lake on the way up to Trail Camp...
Posted By: Steve C Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 04/05/11 04:42 AM
Originally Posted By: akj
The reservation confirmation form that came in the mail states that group size can be increased by calling their office as long as there are spaces available. I called the office this morning to request an additional spot but was told to call again on April 20th. Have people been successful with increasing their group size this way? We need to increase from 4 to 5 for day hike on July 22..

AKJ, welcome to the forum!

July is a high-demand month, so everything is completely booked.

Inyo has just posted the Calendar of Dates still available after the lottery processing has completed--
...for Day Hikes:   Day Use Mt Whitney Zone
...for overnight backpack trips:   Overnight Mt Whitney trail

However, I am 99% sure you can add that 5th slot, if you still need all 5 come hike time (MANY groups find that some people drop out at the last minute.) If you want to add, just call the Wilderness Permit office starting a week before your hike. A few good people call in about then and release some or all of their reservations. If you call when one is available, it will be yours. If that doesn't work, when you go to pick up your permits, they will probably have some last-minute cancellations available at that time.
Posted By: Steve C Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 04/05/11 05:31 AM
Here is the final Inyo National Forest update, posted March 31: Lottery progress as of March 31, 2011

Quote:
The Mt. Whitney Lottery - as of March 31, 2011

The last of the Lottery results will be sent by mail in the next week.
It is impossible to report on the status of your application at this time. We will respond to every application by mail.

What happens to any left over space?[/b]  There is a freeze on reservation transactions from March 16 to April 20, while people receive their lottery results.

We are not accepting any new applications at this time.
There is no wait list.

After April 1, any remaining space and space from cancellations will be added back to the calendar of available dates.  If you have questions after you have read your lottery response letter, please contact us between April 1 and April 19.

You must wait until the end of April if you wish to add to your group size, change dates or apply for a new reservation.
The space on the calendars can be reserved starting on:
      April 20,
2011, for trips starting in May, June & July
      April 27,
2011 for trips starting in August, September & October
Use the Application to Reserve a Wilderness Permit for Inyo National Forest and follow the instructions for applying by phone, fax or mail.

2011 Mt Whitney Lottery
    8,173  Total applications
    4,138  Reservations Made
    3,667  Applications Not Successful
       368  Applications were sent back because they were incomplete
               or did not follow the lottery terms.

Success rate was 53%

How do we do it?

and put in a big box.

Posted By: tdtz Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 04/05/11 06:28 AM
I'm definitely going for the single slots on July 5th and 6th.....dammit!
Posted By: GandC Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 04/05/11 06:40 AM
Well I'll be...

Seeing that there was a final count from Steve C's post above, I checked my cc again just for the heck of it, and despite it being expired (the info I sent them, anyway), they managed to get money out of it anyway. Woo-hoo! Double winner!

July for what I'm sincerely hoping is an overnight trip, and a day trip in September with my old man. Looks like it's going to be one heck of a summer.

Now one more final wait period until I receive my dates in the mail, and it's all preparation from there.
Posted By: wazzu Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 04/05/11 01:16 PM
Got my permit...entry date is 8/31. The Wed before Labor Day weekend.

Is it realistic to think I will be able to find a spot at Horseshoe Meadow starting on Sun 8/28? In the past I've always been up there after Labor Day and have always found a site.
Posted By: msnit Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 04/05/11 05:16 PM
This site has been helpful during this lovely process. Hiked up Whitney back in 1997 in a 2 day hike (prior to lottery application process). After 2 lottery rejections over the past 5 years finally got some permits. 10 for a day hike on August 8!! (I might have extra permits - not sure if everyone in my group was interested in the day hike.) Will post if I do.

Thanks again everyone!
Posted By: Steve C Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 04/05/11 06:28 PM
Welcome to the forum, msnit! And congratulations getting your reservations on the lottery.

That will be quite a group if you get ten friends coming all the way from NY!

I am sure glad we could help with the information department. And I might add: If you don't use all your reserved slots, the cool thing to do is call the Wilderness Permit office at some point, but preferably more than a week before your hike date, and release the reservations you don't need. That frees them up for last-minute callers to reserve.

...I should put a plug in at this point...
If you feel so inclined, the The Mt Whitney Hikers Association will gladly accept donations. (Find the link above on the left in the Feature Topics box.)
Posted By: CaT Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 04/05/11 08:37 PM
Got our mail notifcation yesterday.
Got the 3 permit slots we asked for and on the #1 date we asked for (July 28). Nice!
We'll need to add 1 more person at some point, if possible.
We also got our 4 Half Dome permits for July 24. smile

CaT
Posted By: msnit Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 04/06/11 11:18 AM
"That will be quite a group if you get ten friends coming all the way from NY!"

I'm actually from Southern Cali so most of the group is from california...

Will definitely call to release any extra permits as soon as everything is figured out.

Thanks.
Posted By: Bulldog34 Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 04/06/11 08:54 PM
Originally Posted By: wazzu
Bulldog....AWESOME!!!!! There is a possibility I might be up there at the same time. It would be great to hike with QS and the Bulldog family.

I'm definitely going to summit this year!!!

I'm sure you will, wazzu! That would be great if you're at the Portal the same time we are. Waiting on the Inyo notice with the date, but we'll be in the Eastern Sierra area for about two weeks, so we have a fairly wide window in July to hook up.
Posted By: NJ hiker Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 04/07/11 12:41 PM
grin hooray got the permit letter yesterday! 3 people for Sept 13th. I love the nice 'Hiking the Mt Whitney Trail' guide which includes scary trail snow pictures, bear damage to cars, wag bag instructions and picture, AMS symptom list, severe weather survival tactics, equipment checklist, and Trail Camp campsite recommendations to dispurse the crowds. Guess they get a lot of people who show up in shorts and a T-shirt with a granola bar and a small bottle of water. The 'come prepared for a hike of 22 miles and 12,000 feet elevation gain/loss' gets your attention real quick!
Posted By: Jean-Guille Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 04/07/11 01:03 PM
For those trying to track their permit progress, my credit card was charged last Wednesday, and I received my permit reservation letter yesterday. I did not get one of my requested (preferred) dates, but a Whitney permit is a Whitney permit, and I'm just happy to have one... grin
Posted By: NJ hiker Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 04/07/11 02:46 PM
when is your Whitney date? Early or Late? Will you try to change it? Just curious. I lucked out in getting a date at the September full moon so so a sunset around 7 PM should not be such a problem (and I will bring headlamps of course)
Posted By: Jean-Guille Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 04/07/11 06:03 PM
when is your Whitney date? Early or Late? Will you try to change it? Just curious. I lucked out in getting a date at the September full moon so so a sunset around 7 PM should not be such a problem (and I will bring headlamps of course)

Hey NJ,

I got the end of August. I briefly considered trying to change it, but will probably just stay put, especially with the snowpack this year. One hiking partner says he's good with it, the other hasn't weighed in yet.

It is a good date, I just don't want to wait that long, LOL... laugh

J-G
Posted By: TFC Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 04/07/11 06:13 PM
Just to give some info for anyone else that may have supplied an expired card or had an issue with the credit card company....

My credit card company had a security issue and suggested several weeks ago that we close our account and open a new one. I of course completely agreed (I've already been thru one round of identify theft. Not fun.), but then I remembered the Whitney lottery. Crap! What to do?!!

I had tried calling the permit office about a week or so ago. However, at that time they weren't even taking calls. I decided to wait it out. Well, today I got an email explaining they needed updated cc info. No problem! I called them up, got right through, and now a reservation letter is on its way! I'm so stoked! I tried to get the dates over the phone, but that was just wishful thinking. whistle

Good luck everyone!
John
Posted By: NJ hiker Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 04/07/11 06:15 PM
Hey, all! Yet another question from a newbie: I am coming off an ankle injury which should be well healed by Sept. I have a permit for Sept 13-15. Three days should be enough for Whitney but what happens if I need a 4th day (can't make it all the way out on the third day)? ]Do I need to make a formal request? Or is the permit only concerned about the start date and not the exit date?
Posted By: NJ hiker Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 04/07/11 06:22 PM
J-G, the end of August is a great date--More thime to do training hikes! And friends can be persuaded with that permit in hand...
Posted By: Akichow Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 04/07/11 06:37 PM
Hey, all! Yet another question from a newbie: I am coming off an ankle injury which should be well healed by Sept. I have a permit for Sept 13-15. Three days should be enough for Whitney but what happens if I need a 4th day (can't make it all the way out on the third day)? ]Do I need to make a formal request? Or is the permit only concerned about the start date and not the exit date?

You can ask them to change the exit date on the permit when you pick it up. The overnight (i.e., multiday) permits technically are good for up two weeks as I recall. But they like to keep track of who is on the trail. You should not have a problem changing the exit date if you feel the need to so so.
Posted By: Bulldog34 Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 04/07/11 06:51 PM

NJ Hiker, it's only for the start date - the exit date is not written in stone. You have 14 days from the start date to actually exit. They ask for an exit date for tracking and informational purposes. You can update them when you pick up your permit in Lone Pine.
Posted By: Terence T Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 04/07/11 10:27 PM
Already making alternate plans after getting rejection letter. Got lucky last year however. This forum has given me some good ideas. Mt Langley looks like a good trip if I can't get a overnight permit with a mini lottery.
Posted By: Mr Nazgul Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 04/07/11 10:37 PM
Well I was beginning to wonder about my permit apps as my CC# had changed and from Steve's update it sounded like they would be wrapping things up this week. Just got the call to get my corrected information and the lady had both my apps together to update and said they were both successful. So I'm happy to say my success for Whitney permits is still 100% over the years!

So anyone else in the same situation with a credit card getting changed, it appears they are still working through the tail end of the apps so hang in there if you haven't heard anything as of yet!

Time to start getting stoked! Can't wait to learn which dates I got, but going to have to get the news a bit later this year due to the CC# issue, so crossing my fingers I'll still be able to snag a camp site.
Posted By: lynn-a-roo Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 04/07/11 11:01 PM
NJ Hiker,

What is your trail exit date?
Posted By: Motogibby Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 04/08/11 02:22 PM
Thanks for this great information! We were thinking of doing the same.

Jen
Posted By: Steve C Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 04/08/11 02:50 PM
Just so there is no confusion here... That 14-day option is good only for overnight permits.

You can NOT convert a day hike permit into a multi-day or overnight permit.
Posted By: NJ hiker Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 04/09/11 01:33 AM
Originally Posted By: Akichow

You can ask them to change the exit date on the permit when you pick it up. The overnight (i.e., multiday) permits technically are good for up two weeks as I recall. But they like to keep track of who is on the trail. You should not have a problem changing the exit date if you feel the need to so so.

Thanks Akichow. Of course as I get closer to the date in Sept I will be able to judge how fast I will go, with the orthopedists blessing of course. And my hubby and hiking buddy have agreed to take the extra weight I will not be able to carry (although my buddy said I should just take less food lol).
Posted By: NJ hiker Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 04/09/11 01:35 AM
Originally Posted By: Bulldog34

NJ Hiker, it's only for the start date - the exit date is not written in stone. You have 14 days from the start date to actually exit. They ask for an exit date for tracking and informational purposes. You can update them when you pick up your permit in Lone Pine.

Thanks Bulldog will do
Posted By: NJ hiker Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 04/09/11 01:49 AM
Originally Posted By: lynn-a-roo
NJ Hiker,

What is your trail exit date?

Hi Lynn-a-roo. Entry date Sept 13 and exit date Sept 15.
If I can do distance the the 13th is Portal to Trail camp, 14th is Summit and back to Trail camp and the 15th is Trail Camp to the Portal.

If I am slow then Tues Sept 15 to Outpost, Wed 14th to Trail camp, Thurs 15th to summit and back to Trail camp and Fri 16th Trail camp back to Portal.

I have a feeling it will be how many hours I can walk as opposed to the distance itself.

Not a good year for an ankle injury (lol didn't think I would have one when I mailed the permit on Feb 1st) but the doctor knows about Whitney and says I can do it with motivation and PT for getting back strength and flexibility. He thinks I will be back to even surfaces (we have rail trails and carriage paths in my area) by May/June and uneven surfaces (real rocky east coast trails) by July.
Posted By: jlafevers Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 04/09/11 01:50 AM
Just got my permit today! (I am on the east coast) Entry date of July 25 and exit on the 29th...taking it nice and slow this time.
Posted By: Akichow Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 04/09/11 01:54 AM
Thanks Akichow. Of course as I get closer to the date in Sept I will be able to judge how fast I will go, with the orthopedists blessing of course. And my hubby and hiking buddy have agreed to take the extra weight I will not be able to carry (although my buddy said I should just take less food lol).

Have you thought about where to camp, Outpost Camp v. Trail Camp? I've done both, and I think it is a tough call (though some others on this board will probably have strong feelings for one or the other). Outpost Camp is lower and prettier, and if you do the summit push from there in one day, you don't have to carry your backpack up to Trail Camp (some folks think that the section between Outpost Camp and Trail Camp is one of the toughest sections). You'd probably sleep better at Outpost Camp, too, because of the lower altitude, and it can be less windy. But, doing the summit push from Outpost Camp adds a lot of mileage to the day. I did the summit push from Trail Camp last Labor Day, and was glad I did.

If you do a third night, that is more food to carry, and more weight. You really want to keep your backpack at 25 lbs if you can (including water). It is doable. More than 30 and you may find yourself in trouble, even if you are in excellent condition.

You can find my trip report from a 2 nighter over Labor Day here if you are interested in how our group of 3 women did, and how weight may have factored into one woman's difficulty (despite the fact that she was an experienced backpacker in excellent shape). Also pictures.

http://www.whitneyzone.com/wz/ubbthreads.php/topics/7138/First_Summit_Labor_Day_9_6_201#Post7138

(Oh, I see you do have a plan re camping! Our posts crossed)

Posted By: Julie Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 04/09/11 10:05 AM
Thank you Akichow. You have some great posts, and great pictures. I made reservations at Whitney portal but will check out Onion Valley Campground as well.
Posted By: NJ hiker Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 04/10/11 01:42 AM
Thanks for the great story/trip report/advice Akichow. I will definitely be shaving the pounds and ounces aggressively for this trip. Thanks for your advice and observations on camp distance versus hauling the packs. Something to discuss with my party.

My nickname should be 'Tortoise' because my husband is the 'Hare', but my hiking pal keeps to my pace when we we have gone into the Adirondaks so it sounds like we will be similar to your party.

We have been upgrading/lightening selected equipment over the past year. Thanks to ebay and great sales at EMS, Campmor, and Ramsey Outdoors I have some excellent lightweight replacements for backpacks, sleeping bags, and boots. I cannot believe our vintage Cat's Meow bags weighed in at almost 5 lbs while the new Marmot one is only 2.5 lbs (and is much warmer/cosier). The last big ticket upgrade will be the 8 lb Sierra Designs Meteor Light CD tent (circa 2002 or 2003) for a 3 to 4 lb one (looking at a few brands/models). Up for debate are the ancient 2 lb+ orange 3/4 Thermarest pads which still work but new ones weigh less and probably insulate better. These pads are so bulky they need to go on the outside of the new backpacks.

Yeah these were the reasons the old school packs I hauled were 40-45 lbs.... I started my own 'light' revolution years ago and the trend for high quality light equipment makes it easy to get with the program!
Posted By: NJ hiker Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 04/10/11 01:49 AM
Originally Posted By: jlafevers
Just got my permit today! (I am on the east coast) Entry date of July 25 and exit on the 29th...taking it nice and slow this time.

Congrats! Did you make the summit last time?
Posted By: jlafevers Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 04/12/11 12:27 AM
I did not make the summit last time. I now realize that I was pretty insane to think that I even had a chance of making the summit last time...here's the story if anyone is interested...2 friends and I were asked to drive a car out to Wyoming to be used as a ranch vehicle and then fly back. We decided to get as much out of it as we could and drove straight from Georgia to Las Vegas. We stayed in Las Vegas one night then camped the next night near the west rim of the Grand Canyon. We then drove from there through Death Valley to Whitney Portal with a goal of Trail Camp that night (this was in mid-May...LOTS of snow). We made camp just short of Outpost Camp and chose to hike back down the next morning completely exhausted. We then drove to Lake Tahoe and spent 3 days waiting for car repairs. Finally, we drove from Lake Tahoe to Pinedale, WY near Jackson Hole. We spent 5 days there before getting dropped off in Denver and flying home...WHAT A TRIP!!! Whitney has haunted me ever since!
Posted By: Steve C Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 04/12/11 02:06 AM
That's quite a story, jl. A trip to remember for a lifetime. How long ago was that?

I am sure you will make it this time. Your plan to take it slow and easy will work. And the July 25 - 29 dates are ideal!
Posted By: NJ hiker Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 04/12/11 11:42 AM
Wow. And without acclimating too. Are your friends joining you to re-enact the hike? If not then document it so they can see what they missed!

I understand your surprise at the May snow thing in western mountains as Eastern mountains are pretty free of snow by May. My first experience with that was when I did a trip to Mt Lassen in mid May where they had just cut the road open to the park through 10 foot snow banks. The trails were covered in snow and soaked our boots (no goretex then, which we use now) but it was spectacular nonetheless to reach the maw of that volcano.
Posted By: jlafevers Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 04/13/11 11:33 PM
My previous failed attempt was 5 years ago. This trip is just my wife and I but I will certainly let my friends know if we make it (and I probably will try not to mention it if we don't). About the snow...we were definitely surprised. We hoped to hit Yosemite and Sequoia on the way up but could not get in at all due to snow.
Posted By: Steve C Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 04/14/11 04:28 AM
JL, by late July, you will have no trouble visiting Yosemite and Sequoia due to the snow. Please understand there is a good bit of driving between Sequoia N.P. or Yosemite and Whitney Portal (4-6 hours).

They are well worth visiting, so start the planning early. Fresno is a good place to stay for a day's visit to either park (You can't do both in the same day).

Or you could come into Reno, NV, drive down to Yosemite, then to Fresno, to Sequoia, then around to Whitney Portal. Lots of driving, but gives you a great tour of the diverse landscapes of Cali and the Sierra Nevada.

And finally, we're going to have to add you to the Georgia unit of the WhitneyZone community.
Posted By: Bulldog34 Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 04/14/11 09:59 AM
Originally Posted By: Steve C
And finally, we're going to have to add you to the Georgia unit of the WhitneyZone community.

smile
Posted By: Jrod8 Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 04/14/11 02:38 PM
Steve or any else that is "wise in the ways of Whitney,"

I have 2 permits for an overnight trip on July 24/25 and am looking to add a third. First, what are the odds of this happening?..and secondly what is the best strategy to go about obtaining another one?

My brother and I would like to add "dad" to come with us..

any advice would be helpful
Posted By: Akichow Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 04/15/11 02:44 AM
Originally Posted By: Jrod8

I have 2 permits for an overnight trip on July 24/25 and am looking to add a third. First, what are the odds of this happening?..and secondly what is the best strategy to go about obtaining another one?

Steve will no doubt point you to this table, http://www.whitneyzone.com/wz/ubbthreads.php/topics/3436#Post3436, which suggests that the odds of getting a permit through a walk-in on Sunday morning are very high (13 unused permits on both the second to last, and the last, Sundays in July 2010). Basically, they will run a minilottery at 10 a.m. on that Sunday in the permit office, and if there are more permits than people who want them, everyone wins (I got a permit that way for an overnight on a Friday in mid-July last year). Your standing in the walk-in lottery is NOT based on how early you get to the office that morning, but based on a number that you draw out of a hat, so you don't have to get there really early and camp out ... you can get there at 9:30 a.m. or so. But you will want to be calling up the permit office for a week or so before your date to see if you get snap up a cancellation before then.
Posted By: Steve C Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 04/15/11 04:20 AM
Karin gave you the right answers.

The walk-ins are free, and become available at that 10 AM time.

Calling several times a day during the week immediately prior would likely work. But the extra reservation will cost $15.

Here's a third option: Since you already have the reservation for two, when you go to pick up the permit (even the day before), you can request an additional spot. I am not sure about this, but I believe they might just give you the extra one then (as long as a cancellation is available). This would effectively put you at the front of the line. You might call the permit office and ask about this.

Read the "Wilderness Permit Options" (link in the Feature Topics on the left) for more info.
Posted By: Jrod8 Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 04/22/11 02:13 AM
Thanks for the help...I called the office on the 20th and of course, they told me that every date for the month of July is filled, but to keep watching the calendar for cancellations (crossing my fingers that we get lucky). If there is anyone out there with a group of 3 for July 24 and 25th that would switch for 2 permits, let me know! It would mean a lot to be able to do a "two brothers with their dad" trip.
Posted By: Kokopelli Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 04/22/11 08:31 PM
I have a day hike permit lined up for Sept 14. What is the EARLIEST I can pick it up in Lone Pine? I'll be driving through the area a week ahead of time and if I can get the permit in hand then I don't have to worry about beating a deadline when I come back from Yosemite.

I know someone here will have the answer.
Posted By: Steve C Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 04/23/11 03:15 AM
That information is likely written on the reservation instructions you have received. Someone please check.

This may be incorrect... I believe the earliest you can pick it up is 8 a.m. two days before the hike.

The deadline to pick up (or at least phone in) is noon the day before, or you lose your slot.
Posted By: NJ hiker Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 04/24/11 12:53 AM
From what is on my permit form, they also have a drop box you can make arrangements to use.
Posted By: Steve C Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 04/24/11 03:45 AM
NJ, the drop box is for after hours pickup. If you call in by noon to hold your reservation, and then cannot be there by closing time, they will leave the permit out in a box to pick up.

But did you find anything saying how early you could pick up the permit?
Posted By: wazzu Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 04/24/11 01:00 PM
My permit last year was a Thurs entry. I stopped by the visitor center on the Sun before my entry day, on my way to Horseshoe Meadow. I was hoping to pick my permit up early to save a return trip to Lone Pine. I was not allowed to pick up my permit and the earliest I could pick up my permit was Tues, 2 days before the entry day.

And based on my reservation notice this year, it does state the permit can be picked up 1 or 2 days before the entry date. No sooner.
Posted By: lynn-a-roo Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 04/26/11 10:34 PM
NJ,

You'll definitely want to pick up your permit during normal business hours. The Ranger Station where you pick up your permit is beautiful and new. It's a large building with lots of exhibits and good information about the area. If you need to buy a map, souvenir or shirt, they've got it all. It's a very nice place to stop with great views of Mt. Whitney, plus you can probably meet the girl from the WZ thread, "Look Who Has Her Hand in the Cookie Jar". Check out the thread and you'll see a picture of of the girl with her hand in the cookie jar at the ranger station working the Whitney Lottery. I'm not certain, but I think at the station there are picnic tables and really nice restrooms. Plus, I'm sure the people in the ranger station would love to meet hikers like you. What's the fun of working at a ranger station if you no one comes to visit. Have a great hike.
Posted By: Joel M. Baldwin Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 04/27/11 01:08 AM
Originally Posted By: lynn-a-roo
. . . snip . . .I'm not certain, but I think at the station there are picnic tables and really nice restrooms . . snip . . . Have a great hike.

Yes, as you're walking towards the building entrance from the parking lot you pass the bathroom building on the left. Between the bathrooms and the main building is a small courtyard with at least one picnic table.

It's well worthwhile when you enter to turn right, and walk past the ranger counter and exhibits all the way to the west end of the building. There's floor to ceiling picture windows looking out at Whitney and the surrounding Sierra mountains. Breathtaking!
Posted By: quillansculpture Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 04/27/11 08:03 PM
Kind of frustrating to pick all you dates out for the "leftovers" and find that the FAX is busy the entire day. Says right on the application, you can FAX your application. My FAX has a redial and I've been near redialing all day. 6 hours of busy, redial, busy, redial busy. I guess I will call them. I'm sure they're slammed, but not being able to get a FAX through the entire day!!!! Wow.
Posted By: quillansculpture Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 04/27/11 08:14 PM
Just called them and they said their FAX is having problems. They did it over the phone.

Put me down for 6 on October 2nd.
Posted By: EPS Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 04/28/11 01:01 PM
I got a good news and bad news dilemma. I was drawn for one overnight permit (for six people) in end of Sept.. I am really stoked. However, a few weeks ago my wife told me she was pregnant with our third child, and after a Dr. visit, her due date is the second week of Oct.. I would really like to go since I got chosen, but can't with my entry date so close to the new baby's due date.

Make a long story short, I am looking to see if someone who has an earlier entry date, say in July or August, would like to swap a minimum of two one-night permits in your party for two one-night permits in my party's entry date in September. I can give you the contact info of the Alternative Person listed on my permit to coordinate.

I figure we can communicate via email and work it out. Please contact me at esoderin@gmail.com if you have interest.
Posted By: Steve C Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011 - 04/28/11 01:45 PM
EPS, first, congratulations!

If you are going by yourself, it should be pretty easy to snag a walk-in permit from all the no-shows and cancellations they get.

Check the Wilderness Permit Options in the box to the left.
© WhitneyZone Message Board