Mt Whitney Zone
Posted By: rpm Mt. Baldy ski hut - 03/29/11 02:56 AM
I'm trying to plan a last minute trip for this weekend and learned about the Mt. Baldy ski hut. Earlier this winter I planned on Pear Lake, but poor weather conditions ended that adventure.

Anybody here been to the Baldy ski hut? Are there locations to dig out a camp spot near the hut. I read it's a steep 3 miles. I'll keep web surfing for more info, but any first hand information would be good.

thanks
Posted By: Bee Re: Mt. Baldy ski hut - 03/29/11 03:29 AM
There is a large group of people on the Whitney Portal Store Message Board who go to Baldy almost every weekend. Many of their trips revolve around the ski hut. It might be helpful to join the most recent trip discussion and ask some questions:

http://www.whitneyportalstore.com/forum/...age=1#Post83224
Posted By: GandC Re: Mt. Baldy ski hut - 03/29/11 03:38 AM
I've been to the ski hut many times, although I've never camped there before. You can pretty much count on there being plenty of snow right now after the storm that this last week brought, and it is a nice and reasonably steep trail. Beautiful area though, well worth the effort to get there.
Posted By: + @ti2d Re: Mt. Baldy ski hut - 03/29/11 12:05 PM
There is a "pad" between the hut and the outhouse. First come, first serve.
Posted By: wbtravis Re: Mt. Baldy ski hut - 03/29/11 12:39 PM
There is plenty of room around the hut but there are also a lot peeps. My guess is you will not have to dig anything out.

As for steepness of the trail, it goes up at least 800'/mile to the hut and there are a few spots that can get puckerish with a heavy pack this time of year. I would not screw around through these sections. Put on the fangs and whip out the axe.

Overall, it is a fairly benign trip but there are few exposed sections.
© WhitneyZone Message Board