Mt Whitney Zone
Posted By: saltydog Let Our Freak Flag Fly - 05/07/11 12:18 PM
Looking at all the discussion of the Whitney Trip Calendar and possible meet-ups, I'd like to offer the following suggestion: that we adopt some kind of colors to display in the Zone for quick and easy recognition of each other as Forum participants and WHA members.

I would suggest a length of lime green (readily available*, highly visible not too obnoxious) surveyor's flagging tape, attached to the left trekking pole or top left side of the pack, tent peak, ice axe etc where it can stream in the breeze and be visible in passing on the trail or in camp.

Not only can this ID us to each other, but Steve points out this could be a conversation starter and generate awareness and interest (and new members!) as people ask what is the green ribbon about?

What say you all?

* Most contractor supply houses, and definitely at
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200332715_200332715
good ol' Northern Tool
Posted By: GandC Re: Let Our Freak Flag Fly - 05/07/11 02:32 PM
I do like the idea. Heck, we might run into other members in places other than Whitney!

But if we're going to do something attached to the trekking poles or ice axes, might I recommend something a tad bit more manly? Like maybe set of these bad boys, one on each pole?

Posted By: wagga Re: Let Our Freak Flag Fly - 05/07/11 04:07 PM
This supplier is a client of mine.

Preprinted with "Whitney Zone.com" along the length?

With "No Whining" logos, too.
Posted By: saltydog Re: Let Our Freak Flag Fly - 05/07/11 07:47 PM
Ok Wagga! Product placement at the Whitney Zone!

Tell ya what: I'll order a roll or two of the green flagging tape, and any WZ Poster/WHA member who can't find it locally and sends me a SASE will get as much as I can reasonably fit by return mail. PM me for address.

If its really available printed, would your client consider a tax deductible donation of a few rolls? What the hey, they could include their own (modestly displayed) logo as well.
Posted By: wagga Re: Let Our Freak Flag Fly - 05/07/11 08:51 PM
I'll talk to Michelle on Monday.
Posted By: Steve C Re: Let Our Freak Flag Fly - 05/08/11 01:00 AM
I like that green shown on wagga's client's site.

I am curious what she'd charge to print a few rolls with "WhitneyZone.com"

Wagga, how small a font can be used on the tape? We could add come fine print, pass out lengths to interested parties.

Regardless, I'll carry whatever folks decide on. cool
Posted By: Brent N Re: Let Our Freak Flag Fly - 05/09/11 07:00 PM
How about toilet paper trailing from the shoe? Or if you really want something green streaming from the pole, open and shred an unused wag bag and let it fly in the wind.

Jokes aside, I think it is a great idea. I would love to meet up with you folks on the trail.

Brent N
Posted By: quillansculpture Re: Let Our Freak Flag Fly - 05/09/11 07:32 PM
At the beginning of the Wild Wild West marathon, I looked over at wazzu and said, "wow, I thought there would be more people from the Whitney board on this run". A split second later a woman said, "you guys are on the board....so am I". It was Cecelia from the WPSMB and we talked a bunch about when she and her husband were lost on Mt Whitney. I also couldn't find one member, Darrell, who wrote and said he would be there. He did show up, I just didn't see him.

Hey, maybe Steve should spend a few hundred dollars on special t-shirts!!! (just kidding Steve)
Posted By: + @ti2d Re: Let Our Freak Flag Fly - 05/09/11 10:33 PM
The flag:

Four quadrants (just like a map).

Forest green: go figure!
White: Snow
Blue: water and sky
Grey: Mountains

In the middle connect "fire"...the passion of what brings all of us together and what we respect.

Motto: We go, we do, and go and do again.

Hey, it's the best I could come up with.

Now, where would those portal fries go?
Posted By: dezertrat Re: Let Our Freak Flag Fly - 05/13/11 02:40 PM
I'm down for havin a little marking as to who is on the forum, even the tassels from a kids bike ha ha
Posted By: Steve C Re: Let Our Freak Flag Fly - 05/13/11 02:47 PM
Originally Posted By: wagga
I'll talk to Michelle on Monday.

Did Michelle give you any info?
Posted By: wagga Re: Let Our Freak Flag Fly - 05/13/11 03:31 PM
I'm waiting for a callback.
Posted By: tyrus Re: Let Our Freak Flag Fly - 05/13/11 04:45 PM
It's a great idea! I'll have my lime green tassels blowing in the wind the end of June.
Posted By: John P. Re: Let Our Freak Flag Fly - 05/14/11 02:44 AM
I've often wondered how many members of this forum (and the WPSMB) I've crossed paths with in the Sierras and didn't know it. My humble suggestion is STICKERS!! They are cheap and plentiful. You can stick them on your ride. You can put them on your helmet or trekking poles or bear canister or whatever. I'm sure someone can make designs and we can vote for which ones we like best. The San Gabriel Mountains Discussion Forum has done this and IMO it's a really cool idea.
Posted By: GandC Re: Let Our Freak Flag Fly - 05/14/11 03:01 AM
Agreed on the stickers idea. I'd be in on some of that action for sure. Especially with a cool design like some of the stuff that they did over there.
Posted By: Steve C Re: Let Our Freak Flag Fly - 05/14/11 05:41 AM
Originally Posted By: John P.
The San Gabriel Mountains Discussion Forum has done this and IMO it's a really cool idea.

Interesting... By the way, what is the meaning of "Eispiraten"?

I'm sure a sticker with Mt. Whitney's silhouette would be quickly recognizable.

Here are a couple that turned up in a search:
Cafe Press:

US 395 Store:

I still like the idea of the green surveyor tape. Stickers can be placed various places, but a little tape hanging off a pole or pack strap would be more recognizable on a hiker. I'm waiting for wagga's contact to reply.
Posted By: Ken Re: Let Our Freak Flag Fly - 05/14/11 04:50 PM
Hey,I'm in for 82 cents:

http://www.hardwareworld.com/Flagging-Tape--Lime--1-inch-x-150-feet-pW3AV5I.aspx
Posted By: Brent N Re: Let Our Freak Flag Fly - 05/14/11 09:03 PM
A sticker would be cool on my bear canister, but it won't identify us to each other as we pass each other on the trail. Green flying tape on my pack or treking pole ought to do the trick though. Again, I like the sticker idea, but for a different purpose.

Brent N
Posted By: quillansculpture Re: Let Our Freak Flag Fly - 05/15/11 04:27 PM
How come I thought of wagga when I saw this? He and I possibly share the same sense of humor.
We could do a variation of this sticker :-)

Sticker Idea
Posted By: jlafevers Re: Let Our Freak Flag Fly - 05/16/11 12:36 PM
I know I am just a newbie...but the green ribbon sounds like a great idea. I certainly would be encouraged to meet other WhitneyZone.com members on the trail.
Posted By: Steve C Re: Let Our Freak Flag Fly - 05/16/11 02:37 PM
I just ordered one roll each of green and fluorescent green.

If anyone sends a self-addressed stamped envelope, I'll send you a couple of yards of each.

Whitney Hikers Association
2080 E Lester Ave
Fresno, CA 93720

And if you haven't already, joining the Mt Whitney Hikers Association and donating would be appreciated. smile

Posted By: wagga Re: Let Our Freak Flag Fly - 05/16/11 02:43 PM
I still haven't discussed this with Shippers, We are in the process of negotiating a major software upgrade, & I don't want to confuse the issue. I'm not sure they normally print on a 1" ribbon. They do print on 3" ribbons.
Posted By: Steve C Re: Let Our Freak Flag Fly - 05/16/11 02:47 PM
wagga, they look like a Canadian company, and placing an order, it appears they normally ship pallet-loads of supplies. A small order of printed tape might be off their radar screen.
Posted By: wagga Re: Let Our Freak Flag Fly - 05/16/11 04:55 PM
After my heroic effort to solve their database problems, it might be a little different.
Posted By: saltydog Re: Let Our Freak Flag Fly - 05/16/11 06:25 PM
Green ribbons it is then, all around. Looking forward to reading TRs and seeing pics of meet-ups on the trail.
Posted By: saltydog Re: Let Our Freak Flag Fly - 06/03/11 08:41 AM
Making an entry here just to move the thread up the queue and add the reminder, now that trail activity is heating up, that Steve is offering to provide the green tape banner in return for an SASE to the above address.

Hope to see some TRs on successful meet-ups with the flag. In fact, as an incentive, I make the following offer. I happen to have a surplus (don't ask) of vintage Kelty packs, size M and S. Yep original green, stainless buckle, cotton strap, red zipper 60s old school Keltys. Available with all original hip-torture suspension or the improved 70's padded version. I'll award one such pack (with custom options) in either size for the best Freak Flag meet-up TR from now through July 4 weekend. Judge's decision will be arbitrary and final, of course, based on my personal biases and poster's comments of acclaim. Prize will ship snail mail, before I fly to SF July 7.

I will be hitting the HST July 11 with my Whitney HA freak flag flying all the way from Crescent Meadow.

And if you haven't already, joining the Mt Whitney Hikers Association and donating would be cool .
Posted By: Steve C Re: Let Our Freak Flag Fly - 06/03/11 02:15 PM
Wazzu's freak flag envelope is going out in the snail mail today!
Posted By: wazzu Re: Let Our Freak Flag Fly - 06/03/11 02:49 PM
SteveC, thanks!

Saltydog, I had a late 70s Kelty pack. I loved that pack.
Posted By: CMC2 Re: Let Our Freak Flag Fly - 06/03/11 04:19 PM
I bought a Kelty full length Mountaineer Pack in 1958 to use as a camp counselor leading backpacking trips. Paid $30, $5 more than the Standard Pack. It was shipped from Dick Kelty's garage.

Kept the pack until last year when I got rid of my 300+ Mt Book Collection, alot of camping/hiking stuff, and in the process, donated the pack back to the Kelty family as it was evidently one of the oldest ones around. The only thing I changed was to replace the original waist belt with an up to date padded one and I added a large zipper pocket directly to the upper back part of the pack. I once entered a contest for best backpack and got aced out of lst and 2nd by packs with alot of patches, memorabilia, but got the $10 3rd place award probably since it was the oldest pack in the contest.
Posted By: Akichow Re: Let Our Freak Flag Fly - 06/04/11 03:31 AM
My SASE is on its way to you Steve....
Posted By: passion2explore Re: Let Our Freak Flag Fly - 06/05/11 11:12 PM
I've found some lime green flagging tape here in Delaware at a local supply company that i'm gonna use for my "Freak Flag." I'm also going to have it on at Half Dome climb 6-25 to 6-26, if anyone happens to be there. See you guys 6-27 thru 6-29 on WT. Stayin at Portal Campground on the 27th! wink
Posted By: wazzu Re: Let Our Freak Flag Fly - 06/06/11 08:41 PM
Originally Posted By: Steve C
Wazzu's freak flag envelope is going out in the snail mail today!

Got my freak flag today !!! Yiiiiipppppeeeee

Steve C, thanks!
Posted By: Akichow Re: Let Our Freak Flag Fly - 06/14/11 02:34 AM
Got my freak flags today from Steve. So many colors, not sure what to do with all of them.... Two shades of green plus pink?
Posted By: Steve C Re: Let Our Freak Flag Fly - 06/14/11 04:23 AM
I bought the pink at the local OSH -- it's bright and can be seen from quite a distance. The greens blend more with the environment, but sure wouldn't be seen or noticed as much. I had to order them on-line, since they aren't as visible, so not in much demand.

So I guess it is up to you which color or colors you choose. I'd say choose a color depending on your mood for the day. cool

I put them on my hiking poles since they are visible both from the front and the back. I'd personally use a pink and a green -- but I'm not sure why. smile
Posted By: saltydog Re: Let Our Freak Flag Fly - 06/14/11 09:46 AM
Steve: I think you said you used pink in another group you skiied with. Thats partly why I suggested the green for us. Either that, or you're a sailor from way back, used to red and green nav lights. I'll just be flyin the green. Its plenty high viz, especially above treeline. sick sick sick sick sick
Posted By: lynn-a-roo Re: Let Our Freak Flag Fly - 06/15/11 08:00 PM
Wazzu,

!!! Yiiiiipppppeeeee

Got my freak flags two days ago, I love the colors. I hope I have enough for streamers on my backpack and streamers in my hair too. Maybe I'll add some Rhinestones so my streamers will glisten in the sun.

Thank you Steve C.
Posted By: tdtz Re: Let Our Freak Flag Fly - 06/15/11 08:04 PM
we should have all just bedazzled our packs and tents.
Posted By: Jch Re: Let Our Freak Flag Fly - 06/16/11 11:05 AM
Great idea, I wonder if the the tape is available at Home Depot or Lowes?
Posted By: Steve C Re: Let Our Freak Flag Fly - 06/16/11 02:16 PM
Yellow, orange and pink are commonly sold colors. We had to order the green on-line.
Posted By: saltydog Re: Let Our Freak Flag Fly - 06/16/11 08:21 PM
I got green at my local True Value. Ace here also has it.
Posted By: Steve C Re: Let Our Freak Flag Fly - 06/17/11 04:21 AM
Originally Posted By: saltydog
I got green at my local True Value. Ace here also has it.

Must be that side of the country. wink
Posted By: wazzu Re: Let Our Freak Flag Fly - 06/23/11 02:55 AM
I have the pink & green freak flags on my poles. I realized the freak flags are a good way to gauge the wind direction. In this picture, it's one of the few days when there is almost no wind on the top of Baldy.

Posted By: saltydog Re: Let Our Freak Flag Fly - 07/01/11 12:43 PM
Just a reminder to move this thread up the list as activity heats up. Fly your flag, meet up on the trail and include it in your TR. Best TR flag story of the season wins a completely arbitrary prize. So far Wazzu is in the lead, if only because my old house -- or at least the lot where it used to be -- is somewhere in the background of her summit shot. at least I assume that shot is to the south.
Posted By: wazzu Re: Let Our Freak Flag Fly - 07/01/11 02:20 PM
Yeah for me!! smile....actually, I think this is more of a northern view...need some help from the Baldy summit experts...the poles are wedged between the rocks on the corners of the summit plate, with me standing on the corner close to ' 10,064'

saltydog, hope to be reading a TR from you with some photos of your Freak Flag.
Posted By: quillansculpture Re: Let Our Freak Flag Fly - 07/01/11 02:46 PM
We should not only have a prize for best story, but best photo :-)
I hiked with wazzu last week and she is very proud of her "freak flags". And, she is hiking the heck out of the mountains to get ready for her August Summit of Whitney. In case you want good reading, you should check out her last summit attempt, where she became an angel, helping a delirious young man who was hallucinating (seeing images in the rocks), back to his camp site. We're all lucky she's on our mountains and I know I'm looking forward to her Mt Whitney and preparation reports.

Here's the link to her Mt Whitney story:

Best laid plans
Posted By: saltydog Re: Let Our Freak Flag Fly - 07/01/11 05:58 PM
Much appreciated, and a great story, Joe. I understand I may see you up there with the Bulldog around the 20th. That still on?
Posted By: quillansculpture Re: Let Our Freak Flag Fly - 07/01/11 09:48 PM
saltydog....yes, it's on with Gary. Of course that is if he survives Laura and Bob on Cathedral Peak!!! Laura looks to be getting ready for Gary, so maybe something special is in store. I think the words "Epic Shit", WTF and "Challenging" have been used in reference to Gary and Cathedral Peak.

BTW - My FREAK FLAGS are flying. It's on my poles, ice axe, Ford Explorer and daypack. And I'll be up at Whitney this weekend, so if anyone sees me at the Portal, Lone Pine or the Hostel....I will have lots of Freak Flagging Ribbon for Free if you need some. I mean I bought 300 feet of the stuff.

Counting the days for Gary, Barb and Bri. Wishing the e-ledges would go away.
Posted By: wazzu Re: Let Our Freak Flag Fly - 07/01/11 11:38 PM
QS,

Can't wait to see the photo of the freak flag on the other side of the e-ledges. Just "git er done"! laugh

I might be able to get up to the portal after your summit with the Bulldog family.

Would be great to see all the folks and freak flags at the portal for burgers and beverages.
Posted By: Bulldog34 Re: Let Our Freak Flag Fly - 07/02/11 12:56 AM
Originally Posted By: saltydog
Much appreciated, and a great story, Joe. I understand I may see you up there with the Bulldog around the 20th. That still on?

Hey Peter, I've haven't been on the boards much in the past week, but I thought I had read that you were coming out earlier than originally planned from your JMT hike. The 18th, wasn't it? If that's not the case, then hopefully we'll cross paths on the mountain or at the Portal. We plan to head up with Joe on the 20th (assuming permits), and back down the morning of the 22nd. We'll be hanging around the Portal the 22nd-24th, wazzu, so would love to finally meet you if you make it up! I think Chris (SoCalGirl) plans to be there that weekend as well.

Re Cathedral Peak - I don't think Laura will be in for that as she just climbed it with Bob P. last weekend, but you never know. We'll hook up with her somehow - Bri would have a meltdown if she went all the way out there and couldn't get a Mooseback ride. She can't decide from moment to moment who she is more excited about seeing: "Uncle Joe", "Moosie" or Doug.

Catpappy and I went on another rock-climbing expedition last week and discovered that 5.7 is a helluva lot harder than 5.6. Only our second time in an alpine harness, so no big surprise, but it made me think: Cathedral is a 5.6 crux and 4 long pitches - am I ready for this? Talked it over with Bob, though, and he assured me it's "mellow" and within my skill set. Then Laura called last weekend's climb on Cathedral with Bob "fun and challenging". My exact response was, "'Challenging' for Laura = WTF for me?!" Guess I'll find out in a couple of weeks how steep my mountaineering learning curve is.

Joe, I know that after this coming week's Whitney hike you'll be in tip-top shape for our MMWT backpack on the 20th, but we may have to slow you down some. Bri got a huge 2nd degree burn on the inside of her thigh today from a dirt bike exhaust manifold - probably 6 inches by 3 inches. Ugly. She insists it won't hamper her on Whitney, but I don't see how it can't. We'll know more in a couple of days when we go for a training hike, but just FYI. Hopefully youthful exuberance will override whiny tween mode . . .
Posted By: quillansculpture Re: Let Our Freak Flag Fly - 07/02/11 01:04 AM
Hey Gary....Tell Bri to take it easy before Whitney. I think we've all gotten burnt from motorcycle exhaust pipes.

Also, no problem, I don't think I'll have a problem carrying her to the top. She just needs to have you carry our back packs :-)
Posted By: Bee Re: Let Our Freak Flag Fly - 07/02/11 02:28 AM
Originally Posted By: quillansculpture
Hey Gary....Tell Bri to take it easy before Whitney. I think we've all gotten burnt from motorcycle exhaust pipes.

Yes "we" have! Aloe Vera gel (pure, uncolored sort meant for burns)can be your best friend when it comes to burns (I was burned in April and was not healing properly until I started using the gel almost constantly)
Posted By: saltydog Re: Let Our Freak Flag Fly - 07/02/11 09:07 AM
Gary & Joe: Gary heard, or read, right. We will be coming down the 20th, probably summit on the 19th. Guess you'll be on your way up. Look for the green flag on the vintage Kelty.

Oh yes: I have been persuaded to establish a prize for the best Phreak Phlag Photo as well as story. So OK, maybe another Kelty, or that Brownie I took my first Whitney shots with in 1964. Must be around here someplace . . .
Posted By: quillansculpture Re: Let Our Freak Flag Fly - 07/14/11 10:03 PM
FYI: If anyone is up at the portal on the 22nd, Gary, his wife Barb, his daughter Bri and I will be coming down from Whitney that afternoon, permits willing. I understand SoCal Girl Chris, Saltydog, possibly Norcalhiker67, Akichow, wazzu, Jack and Betsy, hopefully Rod and a couple of others that said they may make it up.......also maybe a Moose sighting.

So, I'll be driving a dark Ford Explorer with "Freak Flags". Come and say hello if you get a chance. I don't have faces to put together with all these names and it would be a pleasure to meet you guys (and girls).
Posted By: wazzu Re: Let Our Freak Flag Fly - 07/14/11 10:29 PM
I'll be there July 22 - 24. Hope to be at the portal on the 22nd in time to see QS and the Bulldog family come down the trail with good stories of a successful summit.

I'll have my freak flags flying from something...pack, hiking poles, hat, etc.
Posted By: Akichow Re: Let Our Freak Flag Fly - 07/15/11 12:49 AM
We're there July 23-25, so will look for your flags too (I'll have flags on my backpack somewhere).
Posted By: Brent N Re: Let Our Freak Flag Fly - 07/15/11 09:50 AM
We will miss you by a day. We will be on Whitney from the 19th through the 21st, freak flags flying behind us. We will summit the same day as Qullian, Bulldog and family, but it woudl have been nice to see the rest of you as well.

Brent N
Posted By: SoCalGirl Re: Let Our Freak Flag Fly - 07/15/11 01:38 PM
Hello all... GirlChild and I will be up there from 22-25 in some area or another... I have no freak flags because I'm a slacker and.. well.. just haven't gotten them yet!

I will, however, be easy to spot by the company I will be keeping (GirlChild: rather moody teenager, usually identified by the vast assortment of neon colored puffy paints adorning her shoes, pants, and/or shirt... or the scowl on her face as she disagrees with something I've said/done/thought/breathed/... Most likely to be spotted with a camera in hand)
Posted By: quillansculpture Re: Let Our Freak Flag Fly - 07/15/11 07:10 PM
Hey Chris.....pick some flagging up from me. You'll see me.....you can't hide from me :-)
Posted By: SoCalGirl Re: Let Our Freak Flag Fly - 07/15/11 07:44 PM
Hey Chris.....pick some flagging up from me. You'll see me.....you can't hide from me :-)

Joe.. you forgot the BWHAHAHAHAHBWWWWHHHAHAHAHAHA
Posted By: AaronMB Re: Let Our Freak Flag Fly - 07/17/11 10:38 PM
Steve - I noticed you're local. It sounds like you weren't able to find tape locally? Did you have to order online?
Posted By: quillansculpture Re: Let Our Freak Flag Fly - 07/18/11 03:22 AM
Originally Posted By: SoCalGirl
[quote=quillansculpture]BWHAHAHAHAHBWWWWHHHAHAHAHAHA

Chris..... there ya go :-)

And, I repeat: If anybody needs flagging, I'll be in the hikers parking lot late Tuesday, sleeping in my truck Tuesday night and probably around a couple of hours or more in the morning before I head up with Gary Wednesday. I have flagging. It's free. Just come by and ask me.

If I don't give it away..... I might have to pull a "Christo" on the trail head entry.

First one to tell me what that means gets double flagging......oh, and Gary buys the beer :-0
Posted By: Akichow Re: Let Our Freak Flag Fly - 07/18/11 03:56 AM

If I don't give it away..... I might have to pull a "Christo" on the trail head entry.

First one to tell me what that means gets double flagging......oh, and Gary buys the beer :-0

Yum, beer. And I'll be there in a few days at the Portal. I think you want to do an Eastern Sierra version of The Gates. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gates. Sounds like a fun project!
Posted By: wazzu Re: Let Our Freak Flag Fly - 07/18/11 12:06 PM
QS,

Save some flagging for the WWW Marathon next year. It can be used to mark the trail and reduce the number of people that get lost. wink

Wazzu
Posted By: CMC2 Re: Let Our Freak Flag Fly - 07/18/11 01:01 PM
Joe, here in Colorado we are fighting Christo who wants to drape the Arkansas River for several miles. Most of us thought that once his wife died, so would his project, but he is still trying to get permission.
Posted By: quillansculpture Re: Let Our Freak Flag Fly - 07/18/11 02:41 PM
We have two winners!!!! Akichow and CMC2.

To tell you the truth, I didn't even know he was still around.

I'll tell Gary about the beer(s) when I see him :-)

Sounds like there's a chance Akichow may even be able to be at the portal to get his winnings.
Posted By: Rod Re: Let Our Freak Flag Fly - 07/18/11 04:15 PM
Surprized Christo is still allowed to do any of his "Art". He is responsible for several deaths due to his art. He had large flags posted all over the Gorman area on the I5 on the Grapevine between Santa Clarita and San Joaquin Valley. High winds caused one to break lose and kill a woman.
Posted By: tdtz Re: Let Our Freak Flag Fly - 07/18/11 07:17 PM
Those were big yellow umbrellas along the Grapevine. I was there the day that the woman was killed by the umbrella that was knocked over by the wind (though I didn't actually see that tragedy). He had a simultaneous umbrella installation in Japan using light blue umbrellas.

I think I still have some of the first day issue stamps and envelopes from the umbrella thingie.
Posted By: Akichow Re: Let Our Freak Flag Fly - 07/19/11 03:15 AM

Sounds like there's a chance Akichow may even be able to be at the portal to get his winnings.

Only if I don't have to get a sex change to enjoy that beer. smile

Seriously, while the days are a little off, I am hoping to meet and see some of the folks on this board. We're doing Little Lakes Valley hikes for a couple of days, entering the Portal on July 23. I'll have my green, green, and pink flags from Steve a-flying, somehow....
Posted By: quillansculpture Re: Let Our Freak Flag Fly - 07/19/11 03:22 AM
Originally Posted By: Akichow

Only if I don't have to get a sex change to enjoy that beer. smile

Hmmmmm, why did you give me that opening??? I mean, you are from the Bay Area :-)

I'll be leaving sometime on the 23rd, so I may be there and would love to meet you. Gary will be there as well as a bunch of others. Again, we just all have to look for the flags.....
Posted By: Akichow Re: Let Our Freak Flag Fly - 07/19/11 03:33 AM
Will look out for you and Gary!

Thinking of starting up the old trail, per recent trip reports, to avoid some water crossings....

Here I have this nice shiny new ice axe, and some ability to use it, and sounds like I should just leave it in the car. (Crampons definitely are staying in the car per the reports.)
Posted By: quillansculpture Re: Let Our Freak Flag Fly - 07/19/11 04:03 AM
Yea, I'm leaving the ice axe and microspikes at home. I do want to try some snow this Winter though, probably Baldy. My kids think it looks like fun and I have the ice axes, but now I will need to get crampons for all of us....
We did some light rock climbing in the Alabama Hills and had a blast, so I've also promised them a trip to the climbing gym out here.

Hope to see you at the portal and I'm not sure if you remember, your dog look a lot like mine, just a bit different color.
Posted By: Akichow Re: Let Our Freak Flag Fly - 07/19/11 08:27 AM

Hope to see you at the portal and I'm not sure if you remember, your dog look a lot like mine, just a bit different color.

Ah yes, I do! Sasha is coming to Little Lakes Valley, but then she goes to a kennel for two nights while we are on Whitney. So no Sasha at the portal. frown
Posted By: wazzu Re: Let Our Freak Flag Fly - 07/24/11 04:38 PM
I ran into Akichow on the main trail on Sat (7/23). I was coming down from Outpost Camp and she was heading up. I was using my poles with the freak flags and as we were about to pass on the trail Akichow asked if those were freak flags.

We stopped and introduced each other by our board names and chatted for a few minutes.

It was a great weekend to be at the portal, as the weather was perfect, the smoke from the fire eased up (can't say it was clear but definitely improved from previous days), and several folks that post were around the store.
Posted By: Akichow Re: Let Our Freak Flag Fly - 07/26/11 03:41 AM
Hey Wazzu, great to meet you! I loved spotting your freak flags, and proudly flew mine at the summit. Thanks for the extra you-know-what on the trail. It remained intact for some later adventure. smile
Posted By: wazzu Re: Let Our Freak Flag Fly - 07/26/11 11:16 AM
Akichow,

Glad to hear you made it up and down in good shape. Maybe we will meet again on a trail somewhere.
Posted By: Bulldog34 Re: Let Our Freak Flag Fly - 07/26/11 12:10 PM
Akichiow, congrats on the summit! It was a pleasure meeting you!
Posted By: SoCalGirl Re: Let Our Freak Flag Fly - 07/27/11 05:13 PM
All that and I forgot to get my flags from Joe... demmit! ;-) Guess I'll have to get them this winter (insert innocent look here)..
Posted By: wazzu Re: Let Our Freak Flag Fly - 07/27/11 06:49 PM
I ended up with the rolls of freak flag tape...so when we meet again, I'll be sure to give them to you...
Posted By: SoCalGirl Re: Let Our Freak Flag Fly - 07/28/11 03:53 PM
Cool deal Wazzu!!! ;-)
© WhitneyZone Message Board