Mt Whitney Zone
Posted By: tyrus Whitney Portal bear proof container questions. - 05/23/11 11:52 AM
The bear proof containers at the Whitney Portal Store/ campground...is it one big unit or smaller ones? Do I need to bring a dry bag to put my car items in?

31 days until I get to experience the Eastern Sierras for the first time. Can't wait!
Lots of bear boxes all over the place, near parking. Good to label your stuff, and the day you plan to exit, when you leave it in the bear box of your choosing.
The problem with the bear boxes in the upper portion of Whitney Portal is people put items in there which do not belong in them; thus, they fill up unnecessarily quicker than they should.

Personally, if it comes between my food and someone's 23 volume set of the Encyclopedia Britannia, their books will be on the top of the box and my food inside of it.
> Personally, if it comes between my food and someone's 23 volume set of the Encyclopedia Britannia, their books will be on the top of the box and my food inside of it.

And their water jugs too.
The water jugs always crack me up... almost as much as the big ole cardboard bottomed 36 packs of Arrowhead bottled water that people shove in there. You know, in case the bears get thirsty and tap water just won't do.
Personally, I recommend smallish boxes. They allow stacking, labeling, are easy to spot. Bags are a problem.
Originally Posted By: Steve C
> Personally, if it comes between my food and someone's 23 volume set of the Encyclopedia Britannia, their books will be on the top of the box and my food inside of it.

And their water jugs too.

What really, really like in the bear boxes are bear resistant canisters...yes, I have seen them in there at Whitney Portal.
© WhitneyZone Message Board