Mt Whitney Zone
Posted By: Nei Anyone going up on June 25-26? - 06/13/11 11:14 PM
What time normally people leave the TH for an overnight summit? I would like to follow some experienced hiker since this is my first time and I am going solo. Is the NOAA site reliable for wind information?

I love this site and I wish you all a safe climb!

Nei
Posted By: Steve C Re: Anyone going up on June 25-26? - 06/13/11 11:55 PM
What do you mean by "an overnight summit"?

The NOAA Weather site is about as good as it gets, but you should also check the other weather sites listed on the Mt Whitney Weather page.
Posted By: Nei Re: Anyone going up on June 25-26? - 06/14/11 12:59 AM
[quote=Steve C]What do you mean by "an overnight summit"?

I am camping on Trail camp on the 25 and summit on the 26. It is a overnight permit.
Posted By: Anonymous1 Re: Anyone going up on June 25-26? - 06/14/11 02:36 AM
Nei, I've only day hiked Whitney, but if I was doing an overnighter, I'd still leave early like at 6/7 AM. I don't know how strong/healthy you are, but even with a heavy pack, I assume you would be able to get to Trail Camp within 6-7 hours tops.

You'll have plenty of light, and on those dates, see plenty of people. It will be hard for you to get lost. Trail Camp has a lot of wide, dry space to camp. You'll have plenty of people there to chit chat with and probably summit together the following day.

Leaving at that time, the snow will still be relatively firm, and you'll have a healthy cushion to set up camp, take pictures, enjoy yourself, (see if you get AMS, and if so, how bad), etc.
Posted By: Nei Re: Anyone going up on June 25-26? - 06/14/11 01:01 PM
Thank you Atari!

First, congrats on your summit! I enjoyed the pictures.

I got some diamox yesterday and I will take one this weekend to see my body response to it. I am planning to summit Baldy this Sunday to celebrate father's day!

BTW, Happy father's day to the daddy's here.

Nei
Posted By: Tony Re: Anyone going up on June 25-26? - 06/14/11 08:09 PM
Heya Nei

I would be interested, trying to organize a trip and permits for sometime later this month. I have yet to do it as well but have had a bit of experience elsewhere. I am also in SoCal so it might be good to save the money to carpool (as I am planning on driving) if you had plans to drive there.

Do you have your permit reserved or are you going up looking to get one the day or so before? I have heard it is harder to get the "day-before" permits for weekends.

Alright best of luck,
Tony
Posted By: Nei Re: Anyone going up on June 25-26? - 06/14/11 08:47 PM
Tony

I am going with my family on early Friday. I have the permit for one person. But because of current conditions I think this increase the chances of someone given then up. I would call the office all week long to see if someone has cancelled.

Good Luck and I hope to see you at the portal.

Nei
Posted By: wbtravis Re: Anyone going up on June 25-26? - 06/15/11 01:28 PM
I like leaving early and taking my time, after all it's a short day. This gives you the ability to stop at Lone Pine Lake, Bighorn Park and/or Trailside Meadow for extended period and still get to Trail Camp in time to set up your campsite and explore.

The other advantage of an early start is you avoid much of the heat.

I've never found travel up the hill to be an issue, there are usually more than enough folks going up that someone is usually in your line of sight. The problem is down when you are tired and not concentrating. It very easy to walk off the trail between Trailside Meadow and Mirror Lake, I've done most of my trips down to some degree and have seen many wandering around in search of the trail.
Posted By: Tony Re: Anyone going up on June 25-26? - 06/16/11 01:41 AM
Ah good advice, ya I will be calling them for the next few days to see as well. I was just rather nervous heading up alone, but if there is alot of traffic always heading up that is more reassuring. I have a few books

- http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1594850429
- http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1893343146

that will hopefully help prepare for the trail.
Posted By: Anonymous1 Re: Anyone going up on June 25-26? - 06/16/11 02:05 AM
Tony...plenty of people. Here's a picture of Trail Camp from the 11th. There will be even more people when you go up. My first time was by myself. I wouldn't change that.

© WhitneyZone Message Board