Mt Whitney Zone
Posted By: HikesHigh Meysan Conditions - 06/23/11 07:35 PM
I've been up and about Meysan Lake a half-dozen times, but am "taking" a couple of families up this coming 4th of July.
So, am wondering if anyone has info on current conditions. In particular how much snow still lingers in the little Meysan lake, peanut lake, and grass lakes area. Also, thoughts on the mosquito situation. Finally, could anyone report on the condition of the snow (this would be in terms of skiing)in the "chutes" above Meysan lake? Thanks.
Posted By: Steve C Re: Meysan Conditions - 06/23/11 09:45 PM
HH, I haven't seen any Meysan Lake reports this month. But comparing elevations to the Mt Whitney trail, since Meysan Lake is near the same elevation as Consultation Lake, it is probably surrounded mostly by snow.

The smaller lakes are slightly lower, so less snow. Since the trail is on the south-facing slope, there should be less snow, too.

Here's the GMap4 map:

Posted By: HikesHigh Re: Meysan Conditions - 06/25/11 01:14 AM
Thanks for the reply Steve. That's kinda what I fiqured.
Still, has anyone been up there recently? Again, I'd like to ski a chute or two, but if the sun cups have formed with a vengence, then lugging the sticks up just isn't worth it!
Anybody have a hunch about the mosquitoes up that trail?
Posted By: ddmansprty Re: Meysan Conditions - 06/27/11 11:07 PM
I hiked about a mile up the trail with my 9 year old this past Friday. There weren't any mosquitoes on the trail, but they were out with a vengence around the portal campsites. I would bet that once you get closer to water, they will be waiting.
Posted By: HikesHigh Re: Meysan Conditions - 06/28/11 05:23 AM
Thanks for the info...er, I think. A vengence indeed!
© WhitneyZone Message Board