Mt Whitney Zone
Posted By: TomB phone reception on Mt. Whitney - 07/09/11 09:41 PM
Anyone know if there is there cell phone reception on Mt. Whitney?
Posted By: Rod Re: phone reception on Mt. Whitney - 07/09/11 10:07 PM
Some get it and some don't . I wasn't able to get Verizon until I got into Lone Pine. Some have gotten Verizon at the Summit.Verizon supposedly has the nearest cell towers and best reception.
Posted By: + @ti2d Re: phone reception on Mt. Whitney - 07/09/11 10:56 PM
Had AT&T...fuhgeddaboutit!

Got Verizon...that's more like it!
Posted By: Fishmonger Re: phone reception on Mt. Whitney - 07/09/11 11:37 PM
ATT changed something this winter. Never got a signal before, now full bars and 3G at upper boyscout lake. didn't get to the summit that day (April...) so I don't know if it works up there, but it was rock solid just a little lower. A year ago, that same phone didn't even get a signal in downtown lone pine.
Posted By: wbtravis Re: phone reception on Mt. Whitney - 07/10/11 11:54 AM
I've gotten reception with AT&T but it was spotty at best. Verizon is consistently rated the best when this question has been asked over the years.

That's not saying you are going get crystal everytime.
Posted By: davehikes Re: phone reception on Mt. Whitney - 07/10/11 02:51 PM
I Have Verizon - It's been spotty for me on the summit - Helped to move around - When I got reception I had to stand real still - Same, on several trips, trying to confirm reservations in Lone Pine.
I've had much better luck at Trail Crest, just SE of the sign.
Dave
Posted By: TomB Re: phone reception on Mt. Whitney - 07/10/11 09:52 PM
Thanks everyone for the info. One of the few times I've been glad to have Verizon. :-)
Posted By: Steve C Re: phone reception on Mt. Whitney - 07/11/11 06:29 AM
I used my Sprint phone at the summit last Sept., but it only worked in one location: From the nw corner of the hut, walk north (about 20 yards) to the edge. I made several calls from that point.

I think it was on "Roaming" mode, but not sure. That would mean it was not connecting to a Sprint system, but some other cooperating network.
Posted By: DonCoqui Re: phone reception on Mt. Whitney - 07/12/11 10:38 PM
AT&T sucks! Double whammy if you have AT&T as ur service provider on ur iPhone... these bricks are not best known for their cell reception. Great for everything else though.

Luis
Posted By: Steve C Re: phone reception on Mt. Whitney - 08/31/11 03:51 AM
Hey Tdtz: How about posting your excellent map here!
Posted By: tdtz Re: phone reception on Mt. Whitney - 09/01/11 04:47 AM
Hey Steve,
I can take a hint!
© WhitneyZone Message Board