Mt Whitney Zone
Posted By: Steve C SF Gate article: Half Dome permits petition - 07/11/11 04:38 PM
From the San Francisco Chronicle

Petition to end Half Dome permits begins online

Quote:

A citizens group wants to end Yosemite National Park's limits on the number of hikers who make the final spine-tingling scramble 400 feet up to the top of Half Dome.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/07/10/MNI21K7367.DTL#ixzz1Rp6PdNxI

...So can anybody find this online petition web site?
this is the link I found.
It's here.

Wazzu do that?
They need an e-permit system, to eliminate re-sales and fraud.

The crowd situation on those cables is simply too dangerous.

It's not 400 ppl per day: it's 400 ppl cramming up there between 11am-2pm.

I haven't been up there since the permits began, but before that, my opinion was that the hazard was outrageous. I'd rather plan ahead and deal with a lottery (like Whitney), than risk losing my life when some bozo 50 feet above me gets tired and falls because there were 200 people in front of him and nobody was moving.

The problem is that this park is too accessible. It's too close to a major city. (actually two; SF and LV). It's too easy to stay in the Valley now (with the lodge, and cabins), and day-hike. The season is compressed (which is also the problem for Whitney - but that's just nature), and the hike is so long, (but not long enough) that it makes for a very narrow window for aggressive day-hikers.

They could stand to re-route the trail to make it less accessible, and raise the bar. Maybe do-away with the Glacier Pt. Drop-off.

Yosemite is stunning enough, and there are plenty of gorgeous views. (I've had my trip up half dome, and unless my grandkids beg me, I'm not going to take someone else's turn, and go up there again. There's plenty of other great places to explore there.)

More than my 2-cents. Maybe a nickel.
This group wants a third cable added to Half Dome. What happens if it is still overcrowded? A fourth cable? You might as well do what the first ascender George Anderson wanted and chisel a set of steps into the granite. We did Half Dome before the permit system on the day after Labor Day. That late in the season, the cables had a reasonable number of people on them. Even so, I would not do Half Dome again unless I wore a climbing harness and clipped into the cables. Otherwise, if someone above you falls, you could get knocked off, too.
No way I'm signing that. It IS dangerous on HD, and I do agree that a third cable to make a two lane system would be in the best interest of safety. But the permit system is a good idea, just like it is on Whitney. HD just needs to re-vamp theirs and make it work better than it did this year.

It's only year 1 of a full time permit system. Let's at least give them 2-3 before we go crazy on them.
I see the position of those that oppose additional cables, but I am for additional cables. Access is important for appreciation. The argument that these parts of Yosemite are true "wilderness" is not reasonable. The area of Yosemite (and the Sierras in general) that is truly wild is massive compared to the area where people are allowed. I have often asked how many people have gone to Morro Rock, seen the amazing view and then gone back to their home more dedicated to preserving nature? Lots I assume.

As for the permits. Maybe there should be more than 400 and e-permits would be great, but I completely support the permit requirement.
I'll just put in my plug here for permits for specific time-slots...

I am certain they could allocate hundreds more permits if they would specify some permits only for an 8-10 a.m. period to start up the cables, with similar slots (10-12, 12-2, 2-4, and maybe any other time.)

You would have people starting up super early (just like Whitney), or quite late, but happy to be able to get up to the top.

Doing that would resolve the crowding issues, yet still allow large numbers of people access to that beloved spot.
Posted By: Ken Re: SF Gate article: Half Dome permits petition - 07/14/11 03:11 AM
Originally Posted By: Steve C
I'll just put in my plug here for permits for specific time-slots...

I am certain they could allocate hundreds more permits if they would specify some permits only for an 8-10 a.m. period to start up the cables, with similar slots (10-12, 12-2, 2-4, and maybe any other time.)

You would have people starting up super early (just like Whitney), or quite late, but happy to be able to get up to the top.

Doing that would resolve the crowding issues, yet still allow large numbers of people access to that beloved spot.

Interesting thought. I assume that you'd have to have a ranger stationed 24/7 at the base of the cables, or better, at the base of subdome, to police that entry time? Probably increase the fee a bit to cover the salary. Doable. That would work.

By the way, it is instructive to, after reading the article, to look at the listed "most popular comments", with vote totals listed. Doesn't look too promising for the petition.
© WhitneyZone Message Board