Mt Whitney Zone
Hi there, i have yet to attempt this whole permit process and was wondering the following questions before i attempt to call the office and get typical governmental answers...

1. I want to day hike Whitney from the main hiking trail. Would like to get a walk in permit the day before i start the hike as i understand this is when i have to get the permit. If i attempt to day hike on a weekday versus a weekend day, are the odds much higher of getting a day hike walk in permit way higher on a weekday?
2. My optimal plan would also include camping at lone pine lake on the way down to the trailhead. Odds of getting a walk in permit for that as well?

Thank you for your time and i look forward to becoming a Whitney veteran soon!

Dennis in Big Bear
Welcome, Dennis!

1. Weekdays are better. Check the Unused Whitney Permits 2011 page, and the links there to previous years as well. You can see that mid-week dates are quite likely for getting a walk-in permit.

2. Getting an overnight permit is less likely, especially now through the end of August.

However, those unused permit numbers are what is left at the end of the day. If you get there at the 11 a.m. time for the overnights, or at 2 p.m. for the next day single-day permits, your chances are quite a bit better.
My opinion is similar to Steve's. The exception being the availability of backpacking/overnight permits. There are not a lot but they are available. Whenever I have asked for one they have been available. They are same day permits, which get you on the trail later than you might like.

I've never have played the daily lottery game, so I can't comment on your chances in that contest.

With all that same, you should come to Lone Pine with a solid Plan B.
© WhitneyZone Message Board