Mt Whitney Zone

www.easternsierraforecast.com
"according to NWS in Reno, Mammoth Mountain had estimated peak gusts of 170 - 180 mph"

How can the Mammoth Mountain summit building remain intact with that wind? shocked
Steve:

The reason why the wind speeds were estimates, is that the wind sensor on the mountain, only goes to 150 mph!

dmatt
I found the current Mammoth Mountain Wind and weather page:

Mammoth Mountain Ski Patrol

Here's the image of the past 24 hours wind graph.
Between 3 and 4 AM today, the wind speed was close to 150 MPH, with gusts off the chart!

Nice place for breakfast or lunch.

dmatt
Wow. That's some impressive wind.
Here in Fresno...

Peak gusts of only 40mph.
Dozens of branches down.
GND (Girl Next Door)'s remaining patio furniture in the pool (best to leave it there - won't blow away).
Coach lamps blown off the garage.
12' x 8' sheet of plastic left the premises, came back 1/2 an hour later.
Empty trash bins in the street racking up frequent flyer miles.
No cats were blown away, thankfully.

Such fun!
The highest gust that I see on this graph is 90 mph at 10:00 on the left. The small green squares are direction not gusts. The direction scale is on the right. The red line is gusts.
Note that the wind graph above is current for the past 24 hours. The monster wind event picture from 12/1 is gone now.

Here is a saved image:
Posted By: Steve C Re: Major Wind in the Eastern Sierra - 03/02/12 04:42 AM
The Mammoth Ski Patrol wind graph is pretty interesting to view whenever there is any major wind. Since the Williamson webcam got blown off target yesterday, it prompted me to look up this thread.

So I have added links to the graph on the Mt Whitney Weather page, always available in the Feature Topics box above on the left. The Ski Patrol page has lots of other weather links if you like browsing them. For that matter, the El Dorado County weather link has loads of them, too. Both are on the Whitney Weather page.
Posted By: dmatt Re: Major Wind in the Eastern Sierra - 03/05/12 06:41 PM
Great idea Steve. Mammoth Mt. and White Mt. normally will always have the highest wind speed / gust. Yes we fixed the Williamson webcam, but it took wind gusts to + 60 to move it...

dmatt
© WhitneyZone Message Board