Mt Whitney Zone
Just checking if anybody has any current pics from the last week or so of the Main Trail.

I saw Richard P's pics from a few weeks back, but that looked like fresh snow from early Dec.
Posted By: Steve C Re: Any Current Pics? Conditions? Main Trail - 01/04/12 07:08 PM
I need to update the Current Conditions thread. ...in the meantime:

Bob R hiked to Bighorn Park yesterday. He posted pictures here:
    2012-01-03 Whitney Trail

Most remarkable is the picture at the North Fork Lone Pine Creek crossing:

Richard P sumitted 12/31, his pictures are here:
    Mt. Muir / Mt. Whitney +6 More - New Year's Eve, 2011
Posted By: tdtz Re: Any Current Pics? Conditions? Main Trail - 01/04/12 07:16 PM
that's the photo i wanted to see.

Pondering an MLK day hike. Looks like we would need ice skates for the north fork crossing.....or go the old trail.....or go out and get cramps or microspikes.
Geesh, nada!

However, I've always found the snow picked up after the NF crossing on the MMWT.

Knowing the MMWT, I'd say Microspikes will take you a long way. I always carry them in the winter, even when I have both crampons and snowshoes. They are a lot lighter than 10 points or snowshoes for compacted snow trailwalking..
Joe, interested in a dayhike this Saturday? I wanted to try Muir, but debating whether I feel like driving all the way up there, and back.
3rd day of a head cold...Trying to get better to maybe join tdtz on the 16th. I didn't even have a winter sleeping bag, but took care of that today. The weather is just so awesome right now. My temperature gauge on my truck said 84 today in Murrieta!

Bob's pics are incredible.

Thanks for the invite.
© WhitneyZone Message Board