Mt Whitney Zone
Posted By: DUG Opinion wanted - 09/28/09 08:19 PM
I'm planning one more trip to Whitney this year - another day hike on the 14th. Hurdles to overcome - No permit, weather, two newbies (15/F and 45/M). I'm not too worried about the permit since it's the middle of Oct and the middle of the week. The weather factor has me worried somewhat. I've been snowed on and rained on before but only while responsible for myself. I've made it very clear that I will pull the plug on this trip if the weather bothers me in the slightest. I'm not too worried about the newbies since I've hiked with them before, BUT - once again niether has been over 11,000 feet.

So, what's your opinion? What are the odds I'll have decent weather that day? 40/60? 50/50? No way?

My goals are the same as always - #1 return to the truck safely, #2 have fun, #3 get some great pics and #4 try to summit.

Counting my 1st trip up with my brother this will be newbie 5 and 6 I've hiked with towards the summit. The other four all made it, but that's probably more luck than anything.............................................DUG
Posted By: Steve C Re: Opinion wanted - 09/28/09 10:19 PM
I think odds of decent weather are better than 60/40. Storms in October are few and far between, so if you watch the forecast, you should be ok in that department.

As for the newbies, if you keep taking different people, it is just a matter of time before you take someone who is adversely affected by the altitude. It is like rolling the dice -- one of these times it will happen. Just be sure, like you did with your son, that they snack regularly and stay hydrated so those factors don't get in the way.

And I hope you have both good weather AND altitude-resistant hikers. cool
Posted By: Bee Re: Opinion wanted - 09/29/09 01:18 AM
I have to say that I was VERY interested in your answer, Steve, as I contemplate being in the area close to that same time frame wink

Posted By: Steve C Re: Opinion wanted - 09/29/09 05:04 AM
That's quite a coincidence!

Hmmmm.... me too. cool
Posted By: DUG Re: Opinion wanted - 09/29/09 01:11 PM
Everyone going up the same week or the same DAY?...............................................DUG
Posted By: Steve C Re: Opinion wanted - 09/29/09 03:36 PM
The wpsmb group hike is just a few days after your hike.
Posted By: Rod Re: Opinion wanted - 09/29/09 04:15 PM
FWIW. Well I'll be on the other side. I'll be in Yosemite the 13th-15th.Mid week Anniversary celebration.
Posted By: DUG Re: Opinion wanted - 09/29/09 06:43 PM
Originally Posted By: Steve C
The wpsmb group hike is just a few days after your hike.

Oh yeah, I forgot. I'll be in the desert outside of Victorville with my 2 1/2 ton military truck that weekend - my OTHER hobby. smile You guys have fun and stay safe on you hike. You too Doc! I'll wave to you if I get high enough.................DUG
Posted By: wbtravis Re: Opinion wanted - 09/30/09 02:54 PM

I went to June Lake in mid-October for 10 consecutive years. We had snow 3 times...about a 1' each time.

One year there was a lot of wind with it but we had no problem getting to June Lake or up in to Tuolumne and out to Lower Cathedral Lake.

Altitude resistance is another story entirely...I can do anything local without chemical but...overnight is another story. I take Diamox, if my overnight location is 8,360' or above.
Posted By: Rod Re: Opinion wanted - 09/30/09 03:39 PM
Last October my wife and I arrived in Fish Camp on Thurs. afternoon, temp in high 70's so we sat out by the pool and basked in the sun reading. Woke up to a fresh layer of snow on Friday that closed many of the roads in and around Yosemite. That negated a planned hike with Steve C, Wagga and "The Moosie". We met up in the Valley and introduced ourselves anyways.As it is said if you don't like the weather in the Sierras wait an hour.
Posted By: Bee Re: Opinion wanted - 09/30/09 03:47 PM
They had snow on Tioga Pass yesterday, but it is supposed to warm up thru the weekend. Eye witness weather!

Posted By: Rod Re: Opinion wanted - 09/30/09 05:15 PM
Bee that is a real weather report.
Posted By: Paul Re: Opinion wanted - 09/30/09 06:13 PM
More often then not, the weather is decent with a sometime indian summer thrown in. Having said that, I was reading Sheckter's report out of Mammoth, which in summary, says, "....UPPER RIDGING IS EXPECTED TO FOLLOW.......BEGINNING THE WEEKEND OF THE 11TH. NICE WARM INDIAN SUMMER WEATHER IS LOOKING POSSIBLE THAT FOLLOWING WEEK. STAY TUNED>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Posted By: DUG Re: Opinion wanted - 09/30/09 06:30 PM
Well, the good part is my buddy is driving so I'm not paying for gas and my other friend is sending her daughter with enough $$ to pick up the tab for the burgers. If we get weather and have to pull out early, I won't be out much but time..........................DUG
© WhitneyZone Message Board