Mt Whitney Zone
Caltrans Proposes Increase in Speed Limit thru Independence

A welcome change.
Well yes, the change might be welcome to travellers, but I wonder what the residents of Independence will say at the public meeting?

There has always been a problem in Independence (and Big Pine) with transient traffic speeding through town. When I worked at the County Courthouse, it was always a roll of the dice trying to cross the highway. The worst time is Friday afternoons during ski season at Mammoth.

Agreed, Bob. Indy is what, 2 miles max on 395 as you roll through town? What would increasing the speed limit accomplish?
Apparently California uses something called "Speed Zone Surveys" to determine speed limits, and if a jurisdiction has a posted speed limit which is lower than that in the "Speed Zone Survey", then speeding tickets can be dismissed if contested. IIRC, a rather vocal Ridgecrest resident used this defense for a ticket issued to his wife by the R/C police, and was successful. I believe that city changed the posted limit on the section of the street in question to reflect the results of a Caltrans "Speed Zone Survey".

This might account for why there are wide differences in posted limits in various towns - 55mph in Olancha, 25mph in Independence, etc.

It will be interesting to see if the speed limit between the Sidewalk to Nowhere and Mazurka Canyon Road remains at 25.

There was a speed limit through Independence? Oh, well, hi, Mr. CHP officer! :whistle:

There is also a school to consider regarding the safety of the students.

Also there are crosswalks where ALL pedestrians in every CALIFORNIA municipality have the right-of-way.
© WhitneyZone Message Board