Mt Whitney Zone
Posted By: MooseTracks Sierra Challenge in Backpacker Magazine - 07/04/12 02:59 AM
The August issue of Backpacker magazine, along with the article about Kurt, includes a six page pictorial focusing on the Sierra Challenge. It was wonderful to see my good friend Bob Burd getting some well-earned recognition. He puts so much effort into organizing the event annually, which can be seen through his website.

However, I was extremely disappointed to see that the spread included not a single picture of any woman participant. Bob himself mentioned this in a thread over on Summitpost.

While Backpacker generally does a good job of representing women in their magazine, I think the lack of mention of women participating in a more "extreme" event is a significant omission.

I did write a letter to the editor, which can be seen here.

I am very proud to call myself a Challenge Finisher, one of only ten people to do so in the eleven years of the event. These gentlemen are my dear friends and mountain family. But I think Backpacker did a disservice to women out there by not showing that women do get out there and work as hard as the guys in order to achieve something really special.

Thanks for letting me vent,
L
Posted By: wagga Re: Sierra Challenge in Backpacker Magazine - 07/04/12 03:14 AM
Moosie dear, just furnish us with an email address for that editor and we will set that poor benighted soul on the path to righteousness. Love, wagga. Pictures, indeed!
Posted By: AlanK Re: Sierra Challenge in Backpacker Magazine - 07/04/12 03:15 AM
Good letter. Backpacker dropped the ball on this one.
EXCELLENT, Laura!
Send letters to:

Letters@backpacker.com
Posted By: Steve C Re: Sierra Challenge in Backpacker Magazine - 07/04/12 07:12 AM
They owe their women readers a followup article and an apology.
That's one hell of an oversight, Laura! I'm on board and will be sending a shout-out to the editors today.
Posted By: saltydog Re: Sierra Challenge in Backpacker Magazine - 07/04/12 12:46 PM

I'm there. And wait till they hear from my daughter!!!
Thanks for the amazing support, everyone. This, to me, isn't about "equality": it's about showing women what is possible.

Happy 4th, everyone!!

Love,
L
Great letter, Laura.
Thats awsome that Backpacker Magazine printed this event. Im a subscriber but haven't my issue yet hopfully it will be here tomorrow. This is the event I would like to do some year ( Sierra Challenge)but need to be in better shape for it. Awsome letter Laura I think your right on!!
Posted By: Ken Re: Sierra Challenge in Backpacker Magazine - 07/05/12 02:20 AM
sent a note off.
Posted By: Brent N Re: Sierra Challenge in Backpacker Magazine - 07/05/12 04:45 PM
I sent one too. Thanks, Laura for pointing this out.

Brent N
Posted By: + @ti2d Re: Sierra Challenge in Backpacker Magazine - 07/05/12 09:20 PM
Mooooooooooooose!

I wouldn't fret....

You will get your own article in Backpacker...

And when that happens, I want you to autograph my copy, Laura!

As a side note, as a form of an apology, the editor should accompany you on the Sierra Challenge.

Never mess with a Moose.

Posted By: saltydog Re: Sierra Challenge in Backpacker Magazine - 07/06/12 03:04 PM
Originally Posted By: + @ti2d
Mooooooooooooose!

That's exactly the suggestion I made in my letter to the editor. Hope you don't mind, Laura
Posted By: saltydog Re: Sierra Challenge in Backpacker Magazine - 07/06/12 04:33 PM
Originally Posted By: saltydog
Originally Posted By: + @ti2d
Mooooooooooooose!

That's exactly the suggestion I made in my letter to the editor. Hope you don't mind, Laura

No sooner did I post this than I got a very nice reply from BP Executive Editor Dennis Lewon. Dennis very graciously acknowledged the omission and promised to consult the photo editor on the shoot and to read Laura's blog.
Posted By: Ken Re: Sierra Challenge in Backpacker Magazine - 07/06/12 08:55 PM
"Dear Ken,

Thanks for writing. I'm the editor who worked on the Sierra Challenge story, and I can assure you there was no intension to leave women out of the coverage. I'm sorry for the omission. Unfortunately, we had limited space, and the photographer could not hike with everyone who participated in the 2011 event. I will certainly consult with the photo editor about the lack of images of female participants in the 2011 event. In terms of past years, we only had space for some very brief historical information about the Challenge. But you're correct, we should have included the accomplishments of the female participants as well. Thanks again for writing.

Sincerely,

Dennis

Dennis Lewon
Executive editor
BACKPACKER
2520 55th St.
Boulder, CO"
"Dear Laura,

Thanks for writing. I'm the editor who worked on the Sierra Challenge story, and I can assure you there was no intension to leave women out of the coverage. I'm sorry for the omission. I will certainly consult with the photo editor about the lack of images of female participants in the 2011 event. You're correct, of course, that this was largely a photo-driven story, and a lot of factors went into choosing the images that ran. However, excluding women was certainly not one of them! In terms of past years, we only had space for some very brief historical information about the Challenge. But you're correct, we should have included the accomplishments of the female participants as well. Overall, Backpacker always wants to have a balanced, inclusive approach to participation in the outdoors. Thanks again for writing. And I'm glad to hear that your knee is better. Good luck with this year's event!

Sincerely,

Dennis

Dennis Lewon
Executive editor
BACKPACKER
2520 55th St.
Boulder, CO"

My thanks to Dennis Lewon for the prompt reply and apology.
© WhitneyZone Message Board