Mt Whitney Zone
Posted By: nyker Terra Nova Tents - 08/11/12 11:10 PM
Anyone have any experience with these tents? They appear to look like several of the Hilleberg models (which are generally bomber tents), but I've never even seen a Terra Nova tent. The 1 person models at under 2 lbs seem intriguing...
Posted By: Steve C Re: Terra Nova Tents - 08/12/12 01:17 AM
Interesting, yes. Here's a Google search page.

It appears they are a U.K. tent company. Their web site is a little short on pictures and details of the tents.

I've never seen this before: Any clues???
Posted By: saltydog Re: Terra Nova Tents - 08/12/12 01:48 AM
Originally Posted By: Steve C
Interesting, yes. Here's a Google search page.

It appears they are a U.K. tent company. Their web site is a little short on pictures and details of the tents.

I've never seen this before: Any clues???

Its called a bothy bag, which according to one source is a portable lightweight emergency shelter made of waterproof fabric, designed for use in wilderness to protect from harsh environment and avoid hypothermia. Typically, a bothy bag will accommodate between 2 and 20 people sitting together to conserve the body heat. They protect from exposure to wind, rain and low temperatures to some extent. Besides emergency situations, they may be also used as added protection for lunch or rest stops. The front of a bothy bag may have one or more transparent windows and the back usually has a vent sleeve. A small bothy bag typically weighs about 300 grams.

Who knew?

Posted By: nyker Re: Terra Nova Tents - 08/12/12 11:46 AM
Yea, they seem to have a variety of models, some pretty light and seem well made, though I've never seen one here. Their 1 person models with weights of 1.5-2 lbs seem great for U/L packing.

http://www.terra-nova.co.uk/Brand/Terra_Nova/Tents
© WhitneyZone Message Board