Mt Whitney Zone
Posted By: nyker Current snow level - 04/26/13 11:30 AM
Has anyone done the Mountaineers Route in one day in the last few weeks given the recent conditions or does the the current snow level preclude anyone from practically doing it as a day trip and camping would be a better choice (at UBSL/IBL)? I am assuming snow level to be around 10,500ft with patchy coverage occasionally?
Posted By: Fishmonger Re: Current snow level - 04/26/13 01:42 PM
snow will mostly slow you down on the way back when you shoot for a single day trip. There's not much until you leave LBSL, mostly on the slopes that face away from the sun. The more exposed areas show long stretches of dry ground until you get close to Iceberg Lake. Inthe morning you probably just walk on the white stuff, but going down, you will have some postholing later in the day.

People were already doing day trips 2 weeks ago, although I don't think many of them actually summited.

Posted By: Fishmonger Re: Current snow level - 04/26/13 04:25 PM
these were taken April 12. First between the Boy Scout Lakes once you get of the deeper snow, Second below Iceberg Lake, Third is half way up the chute.

the small storm that followed that weekend dumped maybe 6 inches up there, but it was melting fast just two days after that storm when I went back up. By now that's probably all evaporated or down to an extra 1" of corn on top of existing snow.

Posted By: nyker Re: Current snow level - 04/27/13 01:03 PM
Ok, thanks Fishmonger.
© WhitneyZone Message Board