Mt Whitney Zone
Posted By: Steve C Whitney Lottery Progress 2010 - 02/20/10 08:58 AM
Mt. Whitney Lottery Progress Reports
Latest first, oldest last...

Quote:
As of Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Today's mail has the end of the lottery letters going out.

The only applications that have not been responded to are the ones with problems of some sort.  The most common problem holding up these results letters is incorrect credit card information.  We have started contacting those people by email and phone, for the 100 or so remaining applications.

Quote:
As of Wednesday, March 31, 2010

The calendar of available space went onto the website today, so people can begin looking at what is available on line.

Hundreds of letters are going into the mail this week. (2000 letters in the last 2 days) The last of the unsuccessful letters are going to the post office on April 1. The last of the successful letters should be going in the mail the rest of this week, and on Monday April 5.

I will write again when the last letter is mailed. Everyone should get their results letter by April 15th. We still cannot search for individual results while the final fee collection transactions are being completed.

Quote:
As of Thursday, March 25, 2010

We finished the reservation making phase of the lottery this afternoon, now the big box is empty!

Coming to mail boxes soon:
4034 good news letters
2844 no luck this time.

Tomorrow we will all turn to working on the outgoing mail. We expect to send out hundreds of letters in Friday and Saturday's mail. The unsuccessful letters will all be mailed as quick as we can put them into envelopes.
The charge card machine will be running non stop to get the successful letters going out as quickly as possible. It may take another week to get all the letters mailed.

Quote:
As of Thursday, March 18, 2010

Batches of letters are going out, and most people should get letters in the next several weeks.

We sent out about 600 letters so far this week, with many more to go out tomorrow.  There are a lot of successful letters in a back log at the work station that completes the collection of the fees, both credit card and paid by check.

The unsuccessful letters are going out faster, as they only need to be put into an envelope.

Out of the 7,370 applications we received, we have about 2,800 to go.
(62% completed)

Quote:
As of March 4, 2010

Processing of the 2010 Mt. Whitney lottery is not quite half way done; we still have 4928 applications to go!
  • 7168  Applications received so far
  •   285  Applications sent back for corrections or additional information
  • 6727  Applications accepted into the lottery box
  • 1799  Reservations made; some are pending payment processing
  •   858  successful letters mailed
  •   142  unsuccessful letters mailed

Quote:
As of February 19, 2010 processing of the 2010 Mt. Whitney lottery has begun!

The first of the Letters will be mailed soon, so people should be receiving their lottery results in March or April.

Please note we cannot search for, change, intercept or report on the status of your individual application at this time.

After the last lottery application is pulled out and processed, the calendar will be updated to show what dates still have space left.

When can you apply for the left over dates?

You can apply by phone, fax or mail starting on the dates below.

• Wednesday, April 21st for trips that start in May, June, or July
  • Wednesday, April 28th for trips that start in August, or later

We appreciate people not interrupting so we can complete the lottery work as quickly as possible.

We'll be happy to answer your questions, after April 1st

------------------------------
| 5135 applications have been |
| accepted into the lottery |
------------------------------
|
-----------------------------------------------
The box | How we do it |
is this--> | |
full | Applications are put into a big box |
| ...and stirred into random order |
| |
| February 16, we begin making reservations |
| from applications drawn at random. |
| Late arrivals are added to the box each day. |
| |
| As each application is drawn, a reservation |
| is made if quota space is still available for |
| the entry date and group size you requested |
| |
| Expect notification of results by mail |
| ...after April 1. |
-----------------------------------------------

Thanks from all the staff,
Wilderness Permit Reservations

Edit:  The Lottery Application 2010 thread is  here. 

Edit #2:  For a look at how they process the applications, see this thread:
    Look who has her hand in the cookie jar...
Posted By: Steve C Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2010 - 02/23/10 06:30 AM
Here is a summary of the 2009 Lottery progress:

3/2/2009
Number of applications received: 5,854.

3/11/2009
 5,983 Total applications sent to the lottery
    315 Number rejected (Sent back with the option of the correcting and resubmitting)
    131 Number of unsuccessful (no space left for requested dates and group size)
 1,985 Number successful (reservations allocated)
 3,552 still to process.

3/22/2009
First "so sorry" notice received by a member

3/27/2009
Application processing completed (charging cc, cashing checks, mailing notices not complete)
6023 applications received
3638 reservations / 2043 unsuccessful (64% successful)

Charging credit cards & mailing success notices begins (takes more than a week)

4/1 - 4/3/2009
Many credit card charges and mail notices reported.

4/8/2009
Updated web page showing slots still open: Mt. Whitney Trail Reservation Availability

4/9/2009
Still sending out letters.
All unsuccessful letters have been sent.
Still several hundred charge cards to run
Now calling people who have had their charge cards changed, to get the new credit card number.
Posted By: Steve C Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2010 - 03/04/10 09:42 PM
The Inyo National Forest staff reports:

Quote:

Mt. Whitney Lottery Progress Report

As of March 4, 2010

Processing of the 2010 Mt. Whitney lottery is not quite half way done; we still have 4928 applications to go!
  • 7168  Applications received so far
  •   285  Applications sent back for corrections or additional information
  • 6727  Applications accepted into the lottery box
  • 1799  Reservations made; some are pending payment processing
  •   858  successful letters mailed
  •   142  unsuccessful letters mailed

Also reported:  There are still a few over nights left mid week in July and August, Day use is full on Fridays and weekends in July and August. June weekends are almost gone.

More info:

The Lottery Application 2010 thread is  here. 

For a look at how they process the applications, see this thread:    Look who has her hand in the cookie jar...

Posted By: Bret Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2010 - 03/09/10 03:41 AM
Wow any new news since the 4th, I'm getting worried
Posted By: CaT Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2010 - 03/09/10 04:13 AM
It's still early in the month yet. Even though both good and bad news trickles out steadily throughout March, it seems that more of the bulk of the final notices go out at the end of the month, and actually, mostly in the very first few days of April. So hang in there.

CaT
Posted By: Bret Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2010 - 03/10/10 12:22 AM
Thanks Cat feel a little better now
Posted By: quillansculpture Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2010 - 03/10/10 02:44 AM
Bret, You need to remove this one from your list this year....it is your GOAL and you can acheive it. Check out the people on this site. It's not just climbers and ultra hikers, but regular guys and gals. I can name three right off the bat who made Whitney a goal after cancer. I not only had cancer 4 years back, but had a total hip replacement in late October of '08. Less than 12 months later, I summited Whitney. It took me two times, but after I didn't make it the first time, I summited San Jacinto twice and then Whitney in one month. Not bad for a guy who was 52 at the time. Make your goal and pick a date. I does not have to be the date you tried to get in the lottery. I didn't get my lottery dates last year, but just choose a date and went. Call the Inyo Forest Service staff a few days before you go and they will tell you how many openings there are. The day I summited Whitney, there were over 90 open spots. All but a few filled the day before our hike.
Whitney is there, it's waiting and you can push yourself to the top. It takes effort and most of all, will power. Take your time, take a friend and have a super time. Let us know when you are going and we will root for you. Then whether you made it or not, give us a report.
Best of luck!
Posted By: Steve C Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2010 - 03/10/10 03:24 AM
Bret, not sure if you have seen it yet, but check out the Unused Whitney Permits for 2009, and you can see for yourself how many Whitney permits go unused. And those numbers are from the END of the day. There are many no-shows and cancellations each day, and those are given out to people who show up and ask ...free!

The cancellations come available as people call in. The no-shows are made available for day hikers at 2 PM the day before the hike. Overnight no-shows come available at 11 AM for entry the current day.

We will be creating a 2010 unused permits page this year as well.
Posted By: wbtravis Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2010 - 03/10/10 04:16 PM
Bret,

The only reason someone cannot get up the MMWT in a given year is a lack of trying.

I have never entered the lottery for this trail but I have been up it but mostly down it a bunch.

The last time up it was 7/22/08, I walked in the ESIVC asked for and received a MMWT backpacking permit for that day. I was on the trail before noon. When I go in for other permits, I usually ask if there are MMWT permits available...the answer has always been yes.
Posted By: CaT Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2010 - 03/10/10 05:49 PM
The last time I used the lottery to get a permit was at least 6 years ago. Since then, I have always been able to walk in and get what I want, and I come from Ohio.

CaT
Posted By: JeffB Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2010 - 03/17/10 06:35 PM
Any "new" news on the lottery progress since 3/4/10? I was expecting to see a flood of "I got mine's" by this time.
Posted By: + @ti2d Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2010 - 03/17/10 07:59 PM
Originally Posted By: JeffB
...I was expecting to see a flood of "I got mine's" by this time...

Things should start up around March 29, 2010. CLIP AND SAVE!

Right now, I want my REI dividend to come in the mail next week!

WOO HOO!!!

Have fun
Posted By: JimC Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2010 - 03/18/10 05:23 AM
My credit card was charged by Inyo for $30.00 on Saturday smile. I saw the charges Monday morning. I'm hoping to see the letter tomorrow or Friday. I basically asked for a 5 day overnight for anything from mid July to early September. As soon as I know the dates I'm hoping to combine it with a stay in Yosemite. Good luck Jeff

P.S.
Steve C usually has the best info on lottery progress.
Posted By: Steve C Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2010 - 03/18/10 06:45 AM
I'll see if I can get a report soon.
Posted By: JeffB Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2010 - 03/18/10 06:38 PM
Thanks Steve!
Posted By: Steve C Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2010 - 03/19/10 12:23 AM

Quote:

As of Thursday, March 18, 2010

Batches of letters are going out, and most people should get letters in the next several weeks.

We sent out about 600 letters so far this week, with many more to go out tomorrow.  There are a lot of successful letters in a back log at the work station that completes the collection of the fees, both credit card and paid by check.

The unsuccessful letters are going out faster, as they only need to be put into an envelope.

Out of the 7,370 applications we received, we have about 2,800 to go.
(62% completed)

Note that as the slots fill up, it will take less and less time to process each request, since mailing a "No slots available" letter doesn't take as much time as entering the reservation into their system.
Posted By: JimC Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2010 - 03/19/10 03:14 AM
Thanks Steve for the quick update. Helps calm the nerves of us living in the rat race.
Posted By: CaT Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2010 - 03/19/10 02:12 PM
This thread would make a good historical reference thread for future years.

CaT
Posted By: matt_sargent Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2010 - 03/19/10 08:33 PM
Got my acceptance yesterday for 15 spots in August! Psyched!
Posted By: Steve C Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2010 - 03/19/10 10:15 PM
Wow - 15 spots is the largest group size permitted! Congratulations.

Did you request overnight or day hike permits?

With a group that size, I hope the organizing and coordinating goes well. And most definitely, please post again and report on the trip!

EDIT: 2011 Lottery Progress thread is HERE.
Posted By: Bret Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2010 - 03/21/10 12:18 AM
quillansculpture, you're an amazing person, to summit Whitney after everything you have been through, thank you very much for this post, you made my day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: Bret Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2010 - 03/21/10 12:20 AM
Travis, thanks again, you've changed my mind to be more positive if I don't get the permit I will still find a way to go that's for sure
Posted By: matt_sargent Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2010 - 03/21/10 06:17 AM
15 day. Will keep the forum updated.
Posted By: Steve C Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2010 - 03/26/10 05:58 AM

Quote:

As of Thursday, March 25, 2010

We finished the reservation making phase of the lottery this afternoon, now the big box is empty!

Coming to mail boxes soon:
4034 good news letters
2844 no luck this time.

Tomorrow we will all turn to working on the outgoing mail. We expect to send out hundreds of letters in Friday and Saturday's mail. The unsuccessful letters will all be mailed as quick as we can put them into envelopes.
The charge card machine will be running non stop to get the successful letters going out as quickly as possible. It may take another week to get all the letters mailed.

So out of 7,370 applications received, they still have 6878 replies (93%) yet to mail.

And now, if you get your letter sooner rather than later, odds are you get a rejection notice.
Posted By: Bret Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2010 - 03/26/10 05:26 PM
Thank you Steve very much for this update, keeping my fingers crossed......
Posted By: Go Bears Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2010 - 03/26/10 09:06 PM
Now I DON'T want to hear from them for a week or so...
Posted By: Bret Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2010 - 03/27/10 12:40 AM
I hear you, I keep checking my bank account, I wish I would have put it on my Credit Card, It probably would have been faster...
Posted By: JeffB Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2010 - 03/27/10 06:20 AM
Got my denial today. And now to the figuring how to get 8 spots for an overnight with half coming from out of state...
Posted By: Steve C Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2010 - 03/27/10 07:24 AM
That's a tough one, Jeff. But if you are a little flexible, it might still work. What time frame were you planning?

If you study the numbers in Unused Whitney Permits - 2009, You can see that there are many mid-week times when overnight permits are available. If you show up mid-week, especially mid-june to mid-july, everyone should be accommodated.

And remember, those unused numbers are at the end of the day. Show up at the 11 AM time when the no-shows become available, and your chances are better. And I believe if you are there earlier, as groups come in to pick up their reserved slots, they often shed a few unused spots. Early bird gets the worm. wink
Posted By: JeffB Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2010 - 03/28/10 05:11 AM
Hey Steve. I had requested permits for 8 on every weekend in Sept., hoping that would be late enough in the season and making it easier for the out of state folks. I looked at the unused list from last year and it seems like walking in on a Thursday or Friday might still be a possibility in Sept.. I wonder though if it might just be smarter to either go mid week or push to early Oct. and get a weekend. All my out of staters are hikers but have never done a 14er and I don't think it would be to wise or kind to ask them to do it as a day hike. What do you think would be the best choice of those two? Mid week or chance the weather in early Oct.?
Posted By: Steve C Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2010 - 03/28/10 06:13 AM
I think I would opt for the mid-week rather than wait until October. Not only is the weather a risk, you have very long nights, too.

Mid-week, if you simply plan on showing up on two consecutive days at 9 AM at the visitor center, is practically a sure thing.

You can get a jump on permits, too if you start calling one to two weeks before your trip. A few good people actually call in advance and release their unused slots.
Posted By: JeffB Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2010 - 03/28/10 08:56 PM
Thanks Steve, I think that's sound advice.
Posted By: Bret Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2010 - 04/01/10 02:59 AM
Bummed got my rejection letter today. I really thought I would get in being I asked for 3 passes and a lot of mid week request. Oh well back to the drawing board, I still plan on making it up to the summit.....
Posted By: quillansculpture Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2010 - 04/01/10 03:06 AM
Hi Jeff, I know weather is a risk, but if you keep an eye on the weather reports and there isn't an early snow, you could certainly take a chance. I went the second week of October last year and the weather was really nice. Pretty cold in the morning, but made it nice early and then the sun hit the switchbacks. A note would be that it snowed the very next weekend.
Posted By: quillansculpture Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2010 - 04/01/10 03:11 AM
Bret....I got mine too this year and one last year.....but no worry.
You can PM me if you'd like. Love to know your plans, dates, etc. You can do it this year. My training has been up and down. Two colds got me slowed a bit. But, I think I'm getting on track again. I'll be doing the local short mountains, Wilson, Santiago, etc. until the snow melts.
Posted By: Steve C Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2010 - 04/01/10 04:18 AM

Quote:

As of Wednesday, March 31, 2010

The calendar of available space went onto the website today, so people can begin looking at what is available on line.

Hundreds of letters are going into the mail this week. (2000 letters in the last 2 days) The last of the unsuccessful letters are going to the post office on April 1. The last of the successful letters should be going in the mail the rest of this week, and on Monday April 5.

I will write again when the last letter is mailed. Everyone should get their results letter by April 15th. We still cannot search for individual results while the final fee collection transactions are being completed.
Posted By: Bret Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2010 - 04/02/10 10:04 PM
Joseph bad news for both of us, well a friend of mine has 4 passes for late September, if one of his crew drop out, I am next in line, but late Sept might be icy. thinking about a day hike in or maybe the long way around, but I think that might be too much. I also plan on walking in and seeing if there are any cancellations. Do you have any ideas I might have missed...
Posted By: Bulldog34 Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2010 - 04/02/10 11:41 PM
Joe, looks like Plan-B time. Got my rejection today, dammit. We'll still be out there in July, only we now have more flexibility. Gimme a shout and we can talk about our options.
Posted By: Bulldog34 Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2010 - 04/02/10 11:46 PM
Originally Posted By: Bret
. . . I am now 52 and so ready to put some lipstick on this pig

Bret, you're eligible for admission to the Full Deck Club. Age 52 seems to be going around quite a bit on this board. I can count no less than 10 regulars who are in this general category. Later this year we'll be the Full Deck and a Joker Club.
Posted By: wagga Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2010 - 04/03/10 12:31 AM
A few more years and you'll be thinking I'm an upside-down pervert.
Posted By: Go Bears Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2010 - 04/03/10 02:30 AM
My card got hit yesterday, but no notice yet in mail. For those who have not heard yet, have faith.
Posted By: DUG Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2010 - 04/06/10 08:04 PM
My card got hit FOR REAL (this is not a drill) last night. I was pretty sure I was getting permits, since out of the 17 different dates we asked for one of them still had plenty of open spots open as per the link Steve posted. ........................................DUG
Posted By: Flatland Hiker Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2010 - 04/06/10 09:46 PM
Anyone not yet heard anything? No rejection letter, no credit card hit. Hoping for a day hike Friday June 25!
Posted By: Steve C Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2010 - 04/06/10 10:59 PM
Flatlander, looking at the Inyo N.F. calendar of available dates, it looks like you picked the FIRST weekday to fill up. It's just crazy, because the day before, there are 78 day hike slots still available!

I hope you got one of the slots. It seems like ALL the rejection letters should have been received by now, since the progress report last week said they were going to be mailed no later than Thursday, 4/1.

By the way, if you are coming from Kansas, are you planning on spending a little time at altitude before you hike?
Posted By: Flatland Hiker Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2010 - 04/06/10 11:22 PM
Thanks Steve. Yes, we're planning on Boundary, Cloud's Rest, and Half Dome in the week before Whitney (permit pending). Have climbed several CO 14ers without altitude problems - so I think we'll be fine from an altitude perspective. Biggest concern at this point would be snow/ice.
Posted By: Steve C Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2010 - 04/06/10 11:32 PM
Well there you go... Do the Yosemite part AFTER Whitney!

There will be walk-in permits available, I am sure. Or you can call in advance (starting Wednesday, April 21) to request a reservation for one of the available days.
Posted By: Bret Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2010 - 04/07/10 02:12 AM
What the heck is the full deck and joker club????????
Posted By: Bulldog34 Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2010 - 04/07/10 02:15 AM
Those of us on this board who are 52 years of age - or 53 with a Joker.
Posted By: Bret Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2010 - 04/07/10 04:49 AM
I should have thought that one out a little better, funny I like it thanks
Posted By: DUG Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2010 - 04/07/10 04:04 PM
Originally Posted By: Bulldog34

So then I'm short a full deck of cards? I wondered what they meant when they told me that. smile................................................DUG
Posted By: Steve C Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2010 - 04/07/10 07:33 PM

Quote:

As of Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Today's mail has the end of the lottery letters going out.

The only applications that have not been responded to are the ones with problems of some sort.  The most common problem holding up these results letters is incorrect credit card information.  We have started contacting those people by email and phone, for the 100 or so remaining applications.

By the way, all the unsuccessful letters went out last week.

For those who were unsuccessful in the lottery, you can view the calendar of available space on the Inyo National Forest website, so people can begin looking at what is available on line. To get a phone-in reservation from those still available in May, June, or July, you can call starting on Wednesday, April 21. (Phone 760-873-2483 or Fax 760-873-2484)

The Inyo staff also report that they are hoping to have a new system in place by next year, with the possibility of a GREEN on-line lottery with next day email results!

More info will come as it develops.
Posted By: CaT Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2010 - 04/07/10 09:52 PM
Quote:
The Inyo staff also report that they are hoping to have a new system in place by next year, with the possibility of a GREEN on-line lottery with next day email results!

Hallelujah!!
Posted By: + @ti2d Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2010 - 04/08/10 01:32 AM
Originally Posted By: Bulldog34

I thought there were two jokers in a deck...

Now, unless you play pinochle...

Okay, I will stop there...

Have fun!
Posted By: Bulldog34 Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2010 - 04/08/10 12:35 PM
That leaves flexibility to get to 54 with both Jokers. We've got this club name covered for a couple of years if we're clever.
Posted By: quillansculpture Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2010 - 04/13/10 03:50 PM
Geeez, I haven't kept up, but I think Bulldog's calling me a Joker! Then again......I'm doing that "all about me" thing.

I started thinking about Whitney (again) last night and wondered what makes us want to get up at 2:00 A.M., eat a Cliff Bar with some warm instant coffee, avoid the Black Bears walking around camp looking for goodies...put 30 pounds on your back and a light on your head, and then head up a steep trail.

Oh well, can't wait!
Posted By: Steve C Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2010 - 04/27/10 05:16 AM
This thread is no longer pinned to the top.  May it rest in peace. smile
Posted By: Bret Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2010 - 04/28/10 04:20 PM
Called the permit office today and got in for an overnighter in August, can't believe it....I'm in heaven
Posted By: Steve C Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2010 - 04/28/10 04:48 PM
Way to go, Bret!

Today is the first day anyone can call in to reserve any still open slots for August and later dates.
Posted By: Steve C Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2010 - 06/04/10 04:54 PM
Today I spoke to the Inyo National Forest staff to pick up the unused permit numbers for May.

They are working on creating an electronic lottery, complete with on-line sign-ups and then even on-line access to pick up open slots after the lottery is over. Unfortunately, due to the complexity of the system, including interleaving the system with all the other trails managed by the system, we will not have a working system in 2011. So I am hoping for 2012.

And also, there may be the possibility of setting up a web cam in Bishop! cool
Posted By: + @ti2d Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2010 - 06/04/10 05:50 PM
Originally Posted By: Steve C
...And also, there may be the possibility of setting up a web cam in Bishop! cool

Yeah, buddy! grin How about setting up the webcam at Whiskey Creek. Wait, let me guess...SMI?

Will this coincide with the 06-11 trip to the holy city of LP wthii?
© WhitneyZone Message Board