Mt Whitney Zone
Posted By: TKE Anyone wanna team up to day hike Whitney Nov 2? - 10/30/13 09:38 PM
Hi all, I'd originally planned to try to summit Oct 11 but canceled due to the snow dumped by the storm earlier that week. I'm now planning to day hike Whitney on Nov 2. I'd like to shoot for doing the hike in under 12 hours but that's just a rough target. Anyone wanna join me?
My guess is there is still snow there from that storm and snow from Monday's storm.

You should have Microspikes, at minimum, for any summit attempt from now until first big dump.
Thanks for the advice. Microspikes are already in my pack. Any idea how much snow fell Monday?
Mammoth Mountain received 10 - 12 inches of snow in Monday's storm, at the 9,600 foot elevation. Don't know how much fell on Whitney at 14,500.
Judging from the webcam pictures, not much.
Actually, the money question is how much snow and what is condition of the trail between Trailside Meadow and Consultation Lake.

If there is snow there and if it is angled and compacted, then you are in for a pucker moment without an ice axe. It's one of the few spots "on the trail" below Trail Camp that can produce this clenching action. I know it scared the living crap out of me a few times.

This area should be avoided, if those conditions exist and you do not have the proper tools for negotiating this area.
Hi TKE 2 females are going to hike-in Nov 2. We are from Folsom CA
Great! I'm planning to drive up from Cardiff Friday afternoon and overnight at either the Lone Pine campground or the Portal Campground parking lot. Where are yall staying? I'd love to meet up so we can discuss hiking together or to, at least, meet some fellow hikers. Thanks, Tannika
Hi Tannika
We are staying in Lone Pine but not sure what time we will get there. We will park next to the gate of its closed...otherwise we will park at the portal TH.. 3AM at the gate and 5AM at portal TH where we will store our extra food
According to the visitor center folks, the Portal road and gate are open. Sounds like yall are hitting the trail about 5am, correct?
Yes TKE we will start 5AM
Great! I'll meet you ladies at the trail head @ 5am. It's going to be a gorgeous day! Tannika
Okay Tannika... the names are Monique and Jeanne see you then
Hi Monique, I'm sure yall are excited about the hike tomorrow. I know I am! I'm pondering starting the hike a bit earlier (4am). So, if I'm not at the trailhead at 5am, that'll mean I left already. Otherwise, I'll be there ready to go at 5am. Safe travels. Tannika
If you three would be willing to give a conditions update for the trail when you get back, I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one who would appreciate it. Good luck!
© WhitneyZone Message Board