Mt Whitney Zone
Posted By: nyker Snowshoes? - 04/28/14 03:05 AM
Hey all...I am assessing whether to pack these or rent them if needed for next week...

How consolidated is the snow in the backcountry in areas such as North Fork to Thor peak, up to Kearsarge Pass, Trail up to Cottonwood Lakes (assuming road is open); I assume I'll start hitting snow at 10k or so? For those who have been out recently, were snowshoes needed?
Posted By: Steve C Re: Snowshoes? - 04/28/14 05:22 AM
California Sierra snow in May is well consolidated. You might posthole when it warms up, but most of the time, you will be able to tramp through without the snowshoes.
Posted By: nyker Re: Snowshoes? - 04/28/14 11:52 AM
ok thanks Steve
Posted By: Bob West Re: Snowshoes? - 04/28/14 03:34 PM
Snow level in the Bishop Creek drainage is about 10,000 feet. Above that you might need snowshoes, especially over high passes. The Whitney/Kearsarge snow levels are about the same as Bishop Creek.

Mammoth Lakes had about a foot of new snow a few days ago.

Depends on how well you like post-holing up to your knees.
Posted By: wbtravis Re: Snowshoes? - 04/28/14 03:42 PM
A friend did Mallory a few weeks ago. They did not bring snowshoes but wished the did.

I've carried those 4 lb. boat anchors all winter and never had to use them. I carried'em because I hate postholing.
Posted By: Bob West Re: Snowshoes? - 04/28/14 08:31 PM
Bishop Pass snow sensor at 11,200 feet is showing 43 inches of snow today. This is just below the approach to the pass near Bishop Lakes.
Posted By: nyker Re: Snowshoes? - 05/03/14 12:52 PM
Thanks guys. Much appreciated.
© WhitneyZone Message Board