Mt Whitney Zone
Posted By: Anonymous Temperature bags? - 06/21/14 11:06 AM
I was thinking about bringing my 35 degree down bag because it is ultra light and just layer on if I got cold at night. What have you overnighters been or plan on using.

I will be camping at Trail Camp a week from today. Seems like temps get into the low 40s there at night.
Posted By: Harvey Lankford Re: Temperature bags? - 06/21/14 12:18 PM
In multiple times at 12,000 ft in July or August the lowest temp I encountered was 18 F but there was no wind that time . I use a 20 F bag
Posted By: Marty Re: Temperature bags? - 06/21/14 12:51 PM
If you are thinking about a warm ultralight bag, Zpack makes 10 degree sleeping bags that weigh between 18 and 28 oz., depending on length and width. ($400+)
Posted By: Bulldog34 Re: Temperature bags? - 06/21/14 02:03 PM
The same as Harvey - 20-degree bag, but I'm a cold sleeper. The type pad you use - foam cell vs inflatable - can also dictate the bag. I use an inflatable Neo-Air. Between the two I've been reasonably comfortable down to the low twenties.
Posted By: Steve C Re: Temperature bags? - 06/21/14 02:54 PM
If you're also going to be using a tent, use the 35 bag. Wearing stuff if it's cold works.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Temperature bags? - 06/21/14 02:57 PM
Thanks Steve. That's what my main plan is. I have every sleeping bag known to man...ok I'm exaggerating a bit...but I have a lot of them. The only problem is what one to pack
Posted By: Harvey Lankford Re: Temperature bags? - 06/21/14 05:25 PM
Originally Posted By: Steve C
If you're also going to be using a tent, use the 35 bag. Wearing stuff if it's cold works.

what if that stuff is wet? It happens. Rain, sweat, falling in stream, all of the above.

I like to think of my bag as my ultimate home away from home
© WhitneyZone Message Board