Mt Whitney Zone
Posted By: hightinerary Mirror Lake to Wotans Throne - 07/28/14 03:37 PM
Is anyone familiar with the cross-country terrain between Mirror Lake and the north side of Wotans Throne? I might be interested in a dayhike of Wotans Throne that minimizes time spent on the Main Trail and takes me more directly to the northwest arete.
Posted By: QITNL Re: Mirror Lake to Wotans Throne - 07/29/14 04:26 AM
Haven't been up that way but I don't think it would be too hard. I've looked down the chute, relatively gentle. Here's a good photo from Bob Rockwell:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rockwellb/1352218296/

Wotans is real cool as well as the lakes up there.

If you wanted to add a little more spice, crossing Pinnacle Pass and heading down North Fork might be fun.
Posted By: Steve C Re: Mirror Lake to Wotans Throne - 07/29/14 04:42 AM
Odd... I didn't see your post earlier today.

I hiked Wotans Throne from Trail Camp once, and then descended to Mirror Lake. I hung to the right (south), and it was a really steep descent. Maybe the north or center part might be a little easier.
Posted By: wbtravis Re: Mirror Lake to Wotans Throne - 07/29/14 03:54 PM
I have been up the slabs to north side of Woton's...food poisoning stopped my partner and I in our tracks.

Up should not be a problem...up usually is not. However, you should have a pair of very grippy shoes for the way down. It is really steep.
Posted By: hightinerary Re: Mirror Lake to Wotans Throne - 08/01/14 02:44 AM
You read my mind. I hiked up to Trail Camp on the Main Trail, then climbed Wotans Throne. I descended and headed north to Pinnacle Pass, climbed it and descended it, then climbed Thor Peak via the Smiley Face Route. I've been meaning to try this hike for years.
Posted By: QITNL Re: Mirror Lake to Wotans Throne - 08/01/14 06:24 AM
Sweet. Yeah, it's probably faster to Wotan's summit from Trail Camp. I love that area of the mountain. You probably had it all to yourself. Such beautiful granite.
Posted By: hightinerary Re: Mirror Lake to Wotans Throne - 08/01/14 12:29 PM
Yes, the terrain between Wotans Throne and Pinnacle Pass is very pleasant. The north side of the pass, however... But then the drainage on the other side is also very nice - a lush meadow.
© WhitneyZone Message Board