Mt Whitney Zone
Posted By: + @ti2d Bob Rockwell - 04/21/15 08:15 PM
From the WPSMB...

http://www.whitneyportalstore.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=99712

Bob...

To a speedy recovery. I want to buy you a beer, while you show me how to filter the Sierra Nevada water through your teeth!

Get RockWELL soon!

Gary and Pam
Posted By: SierraNevada Re: Bob Rockwell - 04/21/15 08:31 PM
On Bob's 50th Whitney summit, he handed out 50 $2 gift certificates from Baskin Robbins to strangers on the summit that day. One of his many interesting stories.

I believe he turns 80 this year, not sure what day.

Here's a link to purchase online Baskin Robbins gift cards.

Can anyone confirm the address I found for him online?

Robert Rockwell
1000 E Skylark Ave
Ridgecrest, CA 93555-8145
Posted By: + @ti2d Re: Bob Rockwell - 04/21/15 09:18 PM
I know what day and what year.

I promised Bob I would never disclose his date of birth to anyone on this board or any other board.

If you know Bob, you know about him and of him, and you know his family and the many friends he has made over the years. I have never met a person in Owens Valley that has never seen or heard of Bob.

I cannot confirm the address, but I imagine there aren't many Bob Rockwells in Ridgecrest that I know of. I know he lives in Ridgecrest.

If we send get "Rock"well cards, I am sure the USPS will ensure it gets to him.
Posted By: SoCalGirl Re: Bob Rockwell - 04/21/15 10:04 PM
Wishes and prayers for a quick and speedy recovery for Bob and for strength for his family during this tough time. Most people will never have half the knowledge about the Sierra that Bob has forgotten in his lifetime!
Posted By: SierraNevada Re: Bob Rockwell - 04/22/15 01:51 PM
I just sent him a $2 gift card. The amount is totally symbolic, its the thought that counts. It took 5 minutes and cost $4.59 with shipping. I think he'll chuckle when it triggers the memories of his 50th Whitney summit and the people he's met and helped over the years.
Posted By: + @ti2d Re: Bob Rockwell - 04/22/15 02:55 PM
Originally Posted By: SierraNevada
I just sent him a $2 gift card. The amount is totally symbolic, its the thought that counts. It took 5 minutes and cost $4.59 with shipping. I think he'll chuckle when it triggers the memories of his 50th Whitney summit and the people he's met and helped over the years.

Great gesture, SierraNevada!

He will probably bust a gut knowing you paid $4.59 and he could have done the same thing for $1.99 grin
Posted By: SanGorgonioHiker Re: Bob Rockwell - 04/22/15 06:16 PM
Hoping for a speedy recovery. Met him on the trail last June after my summit. http://www.panoramio.com/photo_explorer#...mp;user=6581831
Posted By: SierraNevada Re: Bob Rockwell - 04/22/15 07:12 PM
Originally Posted By: + @ti2d
Originally Posted By: SierraNevada

Great gesture, SierraNevada!

He will probably bust a gut knowing you paid $4.59 and he could have done the same thing for $1.99 grin

Thanks, Gary. Wouldn't it be great if he got about 50 of those $2 cards like he handed out to strangers on his 50th Whitney summit. I posted the info on the WPSMB as well.

BTW, a good quality "Get Well" card and postage will set you back $4, a trip to the store, finding a stamp, addressing it, mailing it - and there's no ice cream at the other end.
Posted By: + @ti2d Re: Bob Rockwell - 04/22/15 07:54 PM
He has this shirt that says, "Buy this man a beer."

Me thinks he would like to blow the froth of a bottle of brew.
Posted By: wagga Re: Bob Rockwell - 04/24/15 04:10 AM
Yes, I remember that shirt. Best Wishes Bob!
Posted By: SierraNevada Re: Bob Rockwell - 04/29/15 03:28 PM
Some background info about Bob Rockwell:

Stanford Alumni article

And here's one of his many stories
Posted By: Some Other Guy Re: Bob Rockwell - 05/02/15 03:21 AM
I have never been on the Whitney Trail, but I have the most incredible memories of countless trip narratives and photos from "some guy". I can even point out the turnoff to the mountain route, the sage grouse who guards the trail and the numerous watering holes where we dipped our cup. There must be hundreds of others who have been fortunate enough to be able to share in these special memories too.

Thanks Some Guy

Some guy on Flicker

from Some Other Guy
Posted By: Bulldog34 Re: Bob Rockwell - 05/02/15 02:11 PM

This shirt?

Best wishes Bob - we really need to know that you're out in those mountains.

Posted By: + @ti2d Re: Bob Rockwell - 05/04/15 08:07 PM
Yup, that is the one!
Posted By: Steve C Re: Bob Rockwell - 05/04/15 09:18 PM
Some Other Guy: Thanks for joining and posting. Are you in any of those pictures in the "Some guy" albums? If you see Bob, please say hello for me and give him my best.

Bulldog, thanks for posting that picture. That was a fun hike and a good weekend spent with Bob.
Posted By: lynn-a-roo Re: Bob Rockwell - 05/08/15 12:04 AM
Bob, I am so sorry to hear you are not well. I will try to post some silly jokes that will make you laugh. Laughter is supposed to help a person heal.
Posted By: SierraNevada Re: Bob Rockwell - 05/13/15 02:56 AM
I think Lynn-a-Roo's jokes must be working. Bob is looking pretty good enjoying a taste of his own medicine there at Baskin Robbins. He gave out 50 of those $2 gift cards to strangers who just happened to summit the same day as his 50th climb. What a guy.

Posted By: lynn-a-roo Re: Bob Rockwell - 05/15/15 12:05 AM
SierraNevada, this is excellent news about Bob Rockwell. I'm happy the silly jokes are working. Yes, Bob looks very good. I better post some more silly jokes to make sure Bob is on the road to recovery.
Posted By: wagga Re: Bob Rockwell - 05/15/15 08:03 AM
Originally Posted By: Bulldog34

From left To right:

Sam Adams Winter Lager, Ditto, Black Dog Pale Ale & the superb Indian Wells Amnesia IPA.
© WhitneyZone Message Board