Mt Whitney Zone
Posted By: JohnDoe Walkin overnight permits - 05/15/15 05:09 AM
For those of you with experience, how likely am I to be able to get a walkin overnight permit for the main trail weekdays in July? I'll be in Lone Pine for two weeks starting July 12.
Posted By: Steve C Re: Walkin overnight permits - 05/15/15 06:23 AM
100% likely. Almost 100% on your first try. Walk in about 8:30 AM, and you will be able to pick one up. Sometimes at 8 AM, nobody has picked up a permit where they shed some extras off their reservation. But by 8:30, there will be some.

Be sure to ask about same day and the next day, too. There could be no-shows available for both.
Posted By: RenoFrank Re: Walkin overnight permits - 05/15/15 02:40 PM
What time can I get walk-in permits for the next day (day hike)?
Posted By: John Sims Re: Walkin overnight permits - 05/15/15 04:39 PM
Originally Posted By: RenoFrank
What time can I get walk-in permits for the next day (day hike)?

Hey Reno,
I believe it all depends on when the permits become available. For instance:
- someone could have called and cancelled their permits the day before, meaning they would be available when the visitor center opens based on position in line.
- Someone might show up to pick up their permits, but not need all they reserved, so the extra are released at that time, and would be available to those waiting for permits.
- Then, at 11:00 AM (some one check me on this time) I believe they release all permits that have not been picked up or "confirmed" via phone. Again, they are given out based on position in line.

So, the earlier you arrive, and sign in (determines your position in line), the higher the probability of getting a permit. Also, you are more likely to get a permit earlier.

John
Posted By: Steve C Re: Walkin overnight permits - 05/15/15 04:54 PM
John beat me to the reply. As he posted, I was writing...

In the past, all permits were made available at 11 AM, so I called the Visitor Center, and confirmed the times that the no-show permits become available. It sounds like they have gone back to the 11 AM for overnight, and 2 PM for day hike. Here's what I know:

Walk-in permits:

For overnight permits, the no-shows become available at 11 AM for people starting that same day.

For day hike permits, the no-shows become available at 2 PM for people starting the NEXT day.

On busy days in summer, if there is a crowd of people at the 11 and 2 times, they will hold a mini-lottery, drawing numbers from a hat, and then call people up to the counter in the order of numbers drawn.

Note that for both overnight and day-hike permits, as people with online reservations come in and pick up their permits, if they have fewer hikers than their reservation, those unused slots are returned to the system immediately. Those permits become available right away, and earlier than the no-show permits discussed above. Since reserved permits can be picked up two days before the hike, some will be available that early, but most would be the day before.

Adding to what John wrote above: If you start early and get in line, and if the returned slots aren't available, you can walk up and ask again fifteen minutes later and there might be newly returned slots available. Kind of a frustrating process. However, the no-show times are sure to release a significant batch of new slots.

To give you an idea of no-show versus dropping slots, Inyo staff made an analysis of the numbers for last summer. If you look up the Unused Whitney Permits 2014 page, and scroll way down, you will see a second set of numbers, showing additional numbers that give you an idea of the numbers of cancelled/no-show/drops.

Posted By: RenoFrank Re: Walkin overnight permits - 05/16/15 02:31 AM
My tentative plan is to go to Lone Pine on Wed June 3 arriving from Reno about 2PM. I want a day hike permit for 1 person for Thursday June 4. My plan is to find my way up the Mountaineers Route to Iceberg Lake. You may remember on a previous hike I didn't make it to Iceberg, I was very close as far as the seeps. I'll feel better confident that I can find my way. I have an overnight permit for North Fork of Lone Pine Creek-JM34 entering on July 14. The tables listing the unused permits (no shows, etc.) show quite a few available for 2014. I'm wondering are these numbers for the unused permits before walk-in permits are given out? Or are these unused permit numbers the final total of unused permits after walk-in permits are given out. Is it possible I'm looking at a date on the 2014 table showing unused permits that actually all permits were given out and used?
Posted By: John Sims Re: Walkin overnight permits - 05/16/15 04:13 AM
Originally Posted By: RenoFrank
I'm wondering are these numbers for the unused permits before walk-in permits are given out? Or are these unused permit numbers the final total of unused permits after walk-in permits are given out. Is it possible I'm looking at a date on the 2014 table showing unused permits that actually all permits were given out and used?

Hey Reno,

The "Unused Permits" are exactly that. Those were not used. This is after all walk-ins, etc.....

I think you will have no problem with the permit. Unless it warms up I'm guessing that you will have a good bit of snow to contend with. After you get to Iceberg are you going to return, or perhaps continue up the chute?

John
Posted By: Steve C Re: Walkin overnight permits - 05/16/15 06:48 AM
Frank, you will have NO trouble getting a day hike walk-in permit on a Wednesday. Don't stress about getting there right at 2.

When you go, see if they will tell you how many day hike permits are currently available at the point in time when you are there. It would be nice to know the number.
Posted By: RenoFrank Re: Walkin overnight permits - 05/16/15 03:23 PM
Originally Posted By: John Sims
Unless it warms up I'm guessing that you will have a good bit of snow to contend with. After you get to Iceberg are you going to return, or perhaps continue up the chute?

John
John, I don't plan on going further than Iceberg Lake in June. I'll be bringing wife and friends mid July for an overnight(s) summit attempt. If snow is an issue I'll probably not go in early June. My plan is to find Iceberg Lake during my two days off (Wed & Thur) so I can postpone that hike till later in June. My only experience is Yaktrax, no crampons. I hope to monitor conditions on the MR on this forum.

Steve, if I go I'll try to remember to ask how many permits are available.
Posted By: RenoFrank Re: Walkin overnight permits - 05/24/15 05:52 AM
I was able to get some day permits for late June so I'll be going up to Iceberg Lake a couple weeks later than originally planned. I won't have to rely on walk-in permits. And it gives me a little time to get in better shape and lose some weight. And some of my friends who will be out of town during my originally planned hike will be able to join me. One of those friends reviewed my "Mountaineers Route" video https://vimeo.com/103573626 and is nervous about the Ebersbacher ledges. He may go up the Main Trail while the rest of my group go up the Mountaineers Route. Will this be a problem if we are all on my group permit? He is listed as an alternate group leader.
Posted By: Steve C Re: Walkin overnight permits - 05/25/15 05:04 AM
People split up all the time on permits, so I don't think it should be a problem. I would certainly want each person to carry a copy of the permit, though.
© WhitneyZone Message Board