Mt Whitney Zone
Is it per day? Per week? I need it for 10 days as we're planning to hike the High Sierra Trail.
I'm not sure about the Portal Store, but the Interagency Visitor Center charges $2.50 per night. They also have a dropbox where you can return the canister after hours too.

I usually rent Bearikade canisters online . If you rent the Expedition (longer) you can hold a purported 8 days of food as opposed the 5 the common Garcia cans promise. They are more expensive to rent ($6 per night) but they are lighter, sturdier, more spacious, easier to get stuff in and out. They also ship them to you.

I also think they can cut you a deal if you are renting them for a thru hike like the HST, check out the site and give em a call!
Hello Everyone!

Has anyone used Armored Outdoor Gear Ratsack Cache Food Storage Bag sold by REI? Or it has to be Bear Canister at Mt Whitney Trail Camp?

Thank you

That's a new one! Inyo N.F. requires a container designed to prevent animal (bear?) access. It should definitely work on the trail, since it is the rodents who steal the food there. (Use the bear boxes at Whitney Portal!)

You might also consider the Ursack S29. That's what I use.
Originally Posted By: Steve C
That's a new one! Inyo N.F. requires a container designed to prevent animal (bear?) access. It should definitely work on the trail, since it is the rodents who steal the food there. (Use the bear boxes at Whitney Portal!)

You might also consider the Ursack S29. That's what I use.

I was pretty sure Inyo required "Bear resistant" in the WZ. No?
Originally Posted By: saltydog
I was pretty sure Inyo required "Bear resistant" in the WZ. No?

Yes, you're right. Inyo doesn't specify which brands or models, only requires use of "bear resistant containers."

Here's their web page: Traveling in Bear Country
From that page:
Quote:
The Inyo National Forest requires proper food storage in all wilderness areas. In some places, visitors must use bear bear-resistant containers, designed specifically to protect food from bears.

Map of required area:
So no bear cannister is needed on the Mountaineers Route?
Originally Posted By: RenoFrank
So no bear cannister is needed on the Mountaineers Route?

That's what the map tells me, but I wouldn't go without my Ursack. There are other hungry critters out there.
Originally Posted By: Steve C
There are other hungry critters out there.

Steve is right. Marmots are the TRUE scourge of the Sierra. Let your hate for them run deep.
What did you just call me, Snacking Bear?

Ye fickle mountain swine...
Snacking Bear, you hurt my feelings.... frown

Bears are meanies.

© WhitneyZone Message Board