Mt Whitney Zone
Posted By: BienNiu The chute on the main trail - where is it? - 04/05/16 05:26 AM
Hi All,

My friends and I with ice axes and crampons aim to summit via the standard trail and bypass the switchbacks and take this chute I've heard about. I am wondering though where does it start? Does anyone have it marked on a map or a description I could use? Just curious if I have to begin some switchbacks then veer off? We're camping at Trail Camp so any info would be great.

Thank you everyone!

Nate
It is not a "chute" like you would think. I call it the "slope west of the switchbacks".

Here's a link to a picture taken by Bob Rockwell and annotated by Wayne Pyle with the 99 switchbacks. You can see the glissade tracks made by people descending.

It's between the pointer and Trail Crest on this map:

you are a lifesaver, thank you.

So looks like around switchback 16, you'd veer off to the right? or do you just bypass the switchbacks all together.

Thanks!
You can take the gully, or go up a little. Use your own judgement when you are up there.

Using the above map, switch it to "aerial google satellite", and zoom in a few clicks. You will see there is an alternate (older, abandoned) trail that follows the gully.
ah okay, I see it. alright we'll see how it goes and report back.

Thanks again!
© WhitneyZone Message Board