Mt Whitney Zone
Posted By: Iclimbmnts Gear ?'s for MT to summit - 05/19/16 01:39 PM
Hello, I will be making my way up the MT and the chute early 5/28 after an overnight at TC.

Do most of you leave your backpack/tent at Trail Camp when headed to the summit? I see photos of both people w/ and w/out their backpacks from TC to summit. Obviously not carrying any unnecessary gear for this stretch seems really appealing. But what do you do if you are a SOLO hiker and carrying gear/water/ice axe/poles/snacks to summit??

Any light weight solutions?

Anyone ever come back to TC only to find their gear has been stolen?

sorry, minuscule details smile
Posted By: RichardK Re: Gear ?'s for MT to summit - 05/20/16 02:13 PM
It's pretty routine for people to leave camping gear and backpacks at Trail Camp. You need only a small day pack to carry water and snacks to the summit. The main risk is marmots and other critters chewing through to get to food. A bear canister should help here. I have not heard of a case of theft, but I would not tempt fate by leaving expensive electronics like GPS or camera in the tent. Ordinary camping stuff will be O.K.
Posted By: wbtravis Re: Gear ?'s for MT to summit - 05/22/16 04:31 PM
You determine what is safe and you take it.

I went up the Chute this time of month in '07. I had axe, crampons plus the clothing I deemed necessary, since the overnight temperature was predicted in single digits, I had a parka. Today, I most likely would have taken Microspikes and trekking poles...not for the Chute but the west side trail. Somewhere between 25 and 30# of food, clothing, water and gear.

Taking nothing is appealing but not practical or safe.
Posted By: John Sims Re: Gear ?'s for MT to summit - 05/23/16 12:07 PM
Originally Posted By: Iclimbmnts

One additional caution: winds have been known to carry off tents and gear. When leaving for the summit be sure the gear you leave behind is well secured.
Posted By: wbtravis Re: Gear ?'s for MT to summit - 05/23/16 02:09 PM
Originally Posted By: John Sims
Originally Posted By: Iclimbmnts

One additional caution: winds have been known to carry off tents and gear. When leaving for the summit be sure the gear you leave behind is well secured.

I saw this happen one time at Outpost Camp. As we passed through on a very windy day we saw more than a few tents in places they were not earlier in the day.

Secure guy lines and rocks inside are ++. Lot's of times it comes down to location, location and location. Just having your tent in a wind protected location.
© WhitneyZone Message Board