Mt Whitney Zone
Posted By: May Solo Hiking Mt. Whitney? - 08/03/16 06:26 PM
Hi Everyone,

I am planning on a solo day hike up Mt. Whitney sometime this month. Was wondering if anyone who has done it solo can share their experience and/or give me any advice? It would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance for your responses! smile
Posted By: tif Re: Solo Hiking Mt. Whitney? - 08/03/16 08:57 PM
I did a solo overnight of Whitney 2 years ago, and it was the best hike of my life - literally.

Everyone I passed/crossed was very supportive and friendly. I planned my trip well, and just took each step as it came. If I was safe to continue I did (and thankfully I was - with a gorgeous overnight on the summit!). I stopped when I needed/wanted to, rested when I needed/wanted to, ate, drank, etc as I needed and wanted to. I don't hike often alone, but it was definitely a wonderful experience.
Posted By: eje67 Re: Solo Hiking Mt. Whitney? - 08/04/16 04:52 AM
Day hiked Mt Whitney twice (and have another solo permit for a day hike at the end of the month). There will be plenty of other hikers on the trail, even in the early morning hours, and in my experience everyone was social and friendly. I would say don't be afraid to chat with other hikers, ask questions, etc., and especially don't hesitate to ask for help if you need it.

As far as the nuts and bolts of the hike, it helped to study a topo map ahead of time, read descriptions of the trail, look at pics and videos of the trail, etc.; it helped me know what to expect and to keep me oriented.

If you start in the early a.m. you will be hiking in the dark; I would pay special attention right after Mirror Lake, it's easy to lose the trail there in some spots while hiking in the dark.

It helped me to spend a couple days at altitude before the hike; the first time I hung out at Onion Valley and the second time at Rock Creek.

It also really helped to stay hydrated before the hike and during the hike; I drank at least 4 liters of water a day for 2 or 3 days before the hike.

Anyway, have fun!
Posted By: Briang191 Re: Solo Hiking Mt. Whitney? - 08/04/16 05:10 AM
I solo hiked Whitney in July. Make sure you have a 2 or 3L water bladder and something to purify water. Pack more food than you might need. As others have said plenty of people on the trail starting at Midnight. Everyone you'll meet should be friendly and willing to help if needed.

Hiking Mt Whitney was the best hike of my life. I'll be back next year. I'd go back in August if I could.
Posted By: John Sims Re: Solo Hiking Mt. Whitney? - 08/04/16 04:23 PM
Hi May,

I recommend doing a "search" within trip reports. Search can be found in the banner at the top of the page. Select "trip reports", and "newer than 3 years", and specify "solo" in the search field. This will yield several trip reports, most with lots of details.

A couple of good examples would be:
http://www.whitneyzone.com/wz/ubbthreads...essfu#Post40149

http://www.whitneyzone.com/wz/ubbthreads...sful_#Post39067

Good luck!
Posted By: saltydog Re: Solo Hiking Mt. Whitney? - 08/05/16 09:50 PM
In August there's no such thing. You'll be fine, meet many supportinve fellow hikers.
Posted By: May Re: Solo Hiking Mt. Whitney? - 08/08/16 09:38 PM
John Sims- thank you so much for finding those posts. They were really helpful smile

Thank you to all of you for taking the time to reply. I really appreciate it! smile
Posted By: Sierra Angler Re: Solo Hiking Mt. Whitney? - 08/09/16 09:38 AM
Bump
Posted By: syoung79 Re: Solo Hiking Mt. Whitney? - 08/09/16 08:12 PM
Originally Posted By: May
Hi Everyone,

I am planning on a solo day hike up Mt. Whitney sometime this month. Was wondering if anyone who has done it solo can share their experience and/or give me any advice? It would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance for your responses! smile

This is what I wrote about my solo trip back in June.

http://hikearizona.com/trip=132376
Posted By: Snacking Bear Re: Solo Hiking Mt. Whitney? - 08/09/16 09:01 PM
Grand, bump!
Posted By: seat2summit Re: Solo Hiking Mt. Whitney? - 08/09/16 11:59 PM
Anybody doing the day hike Saturday, Aug 13?
Posted By: Arash Lalezary Re: Solo Hiking Mt. Whitney? - 08/11/16 02:44 AM
Anyone doing is hike aug 27, day hike , I have extra spots avail
Posted By: stoaX Re: Solo Hiking Mt. Whitney? - 08/11/16 03:19 PM
Originally Posted By: saltydog
In August there's no such thing. You'll be fine, meet many supportinve fellow hikers.

I solo hiked it in September and October and almost always had other hikers in sight. So you're certainly right about August!
Posted By: syoung79 Re: Solo Hiking Mt. Whitney? - 08/11/16 06:45 PM
Originally Posted By: Arash Lalezary
Anyone doing is hike aug 27, day hike , I have extra spots avail

I could be enticed to make the drive out there smile
Posted By: May Re: Solo Hiking Mt. Whitney? - 08/12/16 03:57 PM
Originally Posted By: seat2summit
Anybody doing the day hike Saturday, Aug 13?

I'm planning on doing a day hike on Sunday the 14th smile (hoping I can get a walk-in permit)
Posted By: May Re: Solo Hiking Mt. Whitney? - 08/12/16 04:00 PM
Originally Posted By: syoung79
Originally Posted By: May
Hi Everyone,

This is what I wrote about my solo trip back in June.

http://hikearizona.com/trip=132376

Thanks! I enjoyed reading this smile
Posted By: DevS Re: Solo Hiking Mt. Whitney? - 08/12/16 11:29 PM
I got a permit today online for Sunday 8/14. My goal is to start between 12 to 1 AM on Sunday, let me know if you want to join me.
Posted By: May Re: Solo Hiking Mt. Whitney? - 08/17/16 05:25 AM
I successfully summited Mt. Whitney on 8/14/16! smile So grateful to everyone in this community...thank you!!

© WhitneyZone Message Board