Mt Whitney Zone
Posted By: DUG Meysan Lake with scouts - advice needed - 10/29/09 04:29 PM
Last June I took my scout troop to Lone Pine Lake for a day hike, with a base camp at the family camp ground. They loved it and want it to be an annual thing.

Next year I want to take the troop to Meysan lake and then have those who are advanced enough spend the night at the lake while the others return to base camp at the family campground. Everyone would regroup Sunday morning to pack up. Or we might stay an extra day and do LPL as well.

I know NOTHING of Meysan Lake or it's trail or any good camp sites. I would probably be bringing 10-15 up the trail and keeping 5 behind for the night.

Any advice? How does the hike compare to LPL? Much harder? Any advice would be appreciated.....................DUG
Posted By: Paul Re: Meysan Lake with scouts - advice needed - 10/29/09 05:20 PM
Dug, I have hike the Meysan Lake Trail a few times and it is: 1) longer, about 5 miles to the lake about a mile less to the pond (treeline)2) the trail is steeper 3) elevation gain is significant 4) depending on date, a little hotter (I always start around 5:30am to avoid the sun and heat.

Having said that, take it slow and easy. If Meysan Lake is your destination, I think the views are spectacular. The kids will really feel they've accomplished something.

Paul
Posted By: duelmen3 Re: Meysan Lake with scouts - advice needed - 11/06/09 06:17 PM
Hey Dug,
Meysan Lake is a great hike. I was up there in August of '08. Here is a link to the pictures I took. It should give a good idea of the terrain you will encounter on the trail.
Meysan Lake photos

Gary
Posted By: Steve C Re: Meysan Lake with scouts - advice needed - 11/06/09 06:47 PM
I like the water supply process:

And what's your avatar picture?
Posted By: Rod Re: Meysan Lake with scouts - advice needed - 11/06/09 07:12 PM
I don't care what time of the year those Sierra Lakes are cold. I love it though. We used to say it felt like mentholatum all over.REFRESHING.
Posted By: + @ti2d Re: Meysan Lake with scouts - advice needed - 11/06/09 07:15 PM
The avatar picture looks like the southern starting point for the Pacific Crest Trail...
Posted By: CaT Re: Meysan Lake with scouts - advice needed - 11/06/09 08:01 PM
Originally Posted By: + @ti2d
The avatar picture looks like the southern starting point for the Pacific Crest Trail...

Sure is. Would love to do that some time...
Posted By: duelmen3 Re: Meysan Lake with scouts - advice needed - 11/06/09 09:05 PM
That's me on the southern terminus monument last April. I too, would love to thru hike the PCT someday, but darned if that work thing doesn't get in the way right now. Maybe in a few years.
Yes, even in August, the water was very cold. We swam out about 100 ft and I couldn't take it any more. My hiking partner on the other hand, is an ex Navy Seal and thought the water temp was quite nice

Gary
Posted By: + @ti2d Re: Meysan Lake with scouts - advice needed - 11/07/09 12:02 AM
Yes, dang work always gets in the way of our lives.

If it weren't for the bills, my wife and I would be rich!

When we retire, look out, PCT, here we come! Well, maybe segments at a time anyways... crazy

Have fun.
© WhitneyZone Message Board