Mt Whitney Zone
Posted By: Steve C Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 06/04/10 05:44 PM
This thread is designed to hold posts displaying pictures and describing the current conditions of the Main Mount Whitney Trail (MMWT).  I hope everyone will contribute.

Please feel free to post pictures of your own or from any source (please post a reference to the original location), so that everyone can come here and easily find/read/see the conditions.

Older posts will be moved as conditions change. (As a result, some posts may appear to answer comments that are no longer in the thread.)

Thanks for everyone's help. Your posting trip reports helps untold numbers of hikers following you.

Older posts moved here:   Out-of-date Mt Whitney Trail Conditions -- 2023

Note: Sometimes this thread spans a number of pages. You can click through all the pages, or click here to display all in one page.
Posted By: Mattmac Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 06/11/23 08:06 PM
Just summited the Whitney on June 9th. Checkout my video to see hiking conditions. Best of luck for those about to summit! - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XC1a7uews-g
Posted By: Steve C Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 06/12/23 04:56 AM
Thank you Matt & Jennifer. Your video really shows people what the current conditions are like this year: Full snow, from Outpost Camp to the summit.

Here is set of pictures in the "Trip Reports" forum by LostInMtn: Mt. Whitney via Whitney Trail 6/8 - 6/9/2023
Posted By: Tamar Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 07/21/23 04:04 PM
Now it is a month or so later. Anyone summit and can relay what the conditions are now after all this heat? Still needing snow gear to take the Whitney Trail?
Posted By: Steve C Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 07/23/23 05:45 AM
Here is one from July 18, 2023, from Jesse N.
Ice Axe and crampons are definitely the safest equipment yet.
[Linked Image]
Thank you for sharing.
Location?
Originally Posted by OutdoorsFreak
Location?
I think that photo is looking down “the chute” from just below Trail Crest.
Posted By: Steve C Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 07/24/23 04:44 PM
Originally Posted by bobpickering
Originally Posted by OutdoorsFreak
Location?
I think that photo is looking down “the chute” from just below Trail Crest.

Correct. Trail camp is on the right, just above the middle of the picture. Click the picture to enlarge, and you can see the trail camp pond there. The 99 switchbacks climb through the rock band extending downward and left, from the right side of the photo. The cables are at the bottom of that rock band.
Thanks Steve and Bob, that is what I thought.

WOW - that is a lot of snow!
Are the switchbacks being used at all?

Anyone been up the west side lately?

Still 3 weeks before I'll approach from that side, but starting to collect ground condition info.
Posted By: fit2climb Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 07/30/23 10:48 PM
WanderingJim,

I'm headed up tomorrow. I'm hiking the west approach to Whitney from NAP. I'll give a full trip report as soon as arrive at the portal.

From what I have heard on AllTrails, a hiker has used the 99 switchbacks on the way up from trail camp. He reported using ice axe and crampons. He came down the snow field on his decent. I may use the switchbacks to give an established route if it looks safe. I will bring all my mountaineering equipment and possibly a shovel.

-Mike
Posted By: flexonu Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 08/01/23 05:18 PM
Hi Fit2Climb,

How are the switchbacks do they look safe at this point? If not I was planning on going up the snow chute on Aug 4. Thanks!
Posted By: acta5534 Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 08/03/23 04:23 AM
Here's an update from Inyo SAR FB page.

https://www.facebook.com/inyosar

Current conditions on Mount Whitney are still snowy. Yes, it is melting and getting a little less every day, but a lot of snow is remaining, especially in the dangerous sections around the 99 Switchbacks of the Main Trail as well as the Chute on the Mountaineers’ Route. Both those sections are at high altitude and do not get much direct sunlight, so the snowmelt here takes a long time.
The 99 Switchbacks are almost free of snow, HOWEVER 4 steep traverses are still snow covered and will require crampons and ice axe, as well as solid mountaineering skills, to navigate in a safe manner. That includes the infamous cables section.
We have seen multiples rescues of people who slid uncontrollably down a snowy slope, and have heard even more reports of slides with minor injuries that allowed people to self-rescue.
These pictures were taken last week and show one of these traverses. If you or one of your group members are not comfortable crossing this, don’t push it. Your summit photo is not worth injuries and a rescue, let alone months or years of recovery. The mountain will always be there for another attempt.
Inyo SAR is an all-volunteer and unpaid, professional non-profit 501(c)3 organization in cooperation with and under the authority of the Inyo County Sheriff's Office. Providing search and rescue services to Inyo County and its visitors is only possible thanks to donations.
Posted By: mtnfox2 Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 09/06/23 04:32 PM
Anyone been up lately? I know there was some snow in the last week, not sure how that's changed things. I'm supposed to bring up a few fellas in about 2 weeks who are good hikers but do not have any winter experience (I do but will not let them do anything overly sketchy). Last I heard there were a couple of icy patches on the upper switchbacks and some avoidable snow fields between there and the summit but the rest of the trail was pretty good? Thanks for any info.
Posted By: mrbcanmoo Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 10/02/23 09:55 PM
Any updates on Switchbacks conditions? Trip planned for end of October. Camp @ trailhead 27th. Camp @ Trail Camp 28th. Summit 29th. Camp @ Trail camp 29th. Pack out 30th. Haven't seen any updates since mtnfox2 inquired on 9/6.
Posted By: Steve C Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 10/05/23 05:09 AM
There is snow on the switchbacks, but it has been packed down. Might want to take microspikes.

No water above Trail Camp.
Posted By: mrbcanmoo Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 10/06/23 06:05 PM
Thanks, Steve!
Posted By: Theresa Y. Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 10/11/23 05:54 PM
Does anyone have any trail updates (starting from Whitney Portal)?

I have been calling the Easter Sierra Visitor Center for 3 days now (I now know Monday was a holiday) and I haven't gotten a hold of anyone. I finally called the Wilderness Permit Station and they didn't have many updates other than they haven't had many rangers up there recently. The person I talked to said that he understood it to be "very wet" and when I pressed him for more details, he didn't know.

Thanks for any info you can share!
Posted By: Dauphinais Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 10/12/23 03:11 PM
Summited on 10/10 at about 10am with an alpine start on a single day permit. Be advised Portal Road has a considerable detour due to flooding. It'll add 10-15 minutes to the drive from Lone Pine. All stream crossings are manageable. Water is available up to Trail Camp. Micro spikes recommended from the cables to trail crest. Storm came in at noon on our decent so start early! This is my go to weather source: Mountain Forecast Hope that helps!
Posted By: Theresa Y. Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 10/13/23 01:30 AM
Thank you, Dauphinais!
© WhitneyZone Message Board