Mt Whitney Zone
Posted By: Steve C Lightest weight hiking gear - 11/05/09 04:55 PM
There have been some great improvements in backpacking gear just in the past several years. I bought a ZPacks backpack (7 oz) and enjoyed using it on two trips this summer. (I'll post a picture later.)

What kind of equipment have others used that helps lighten the load?
Posted By: DobeMom Re: Lightest weight hiking gear - 11/05/09 06:24 PM
Since I was new to backpacking and could start fresh with new gear, I tried to go light whenever possible (but comfort and $$$ get in the way sometimes, crazy)

So, let's see. My pack isn't lightweight, got it last year as a large daypack but it actually was good enough for a 5-day trip to SEKI in Sept! It's last year's Marmot Diva 35 (35L, comfy but weighs 3 lbs 11 oz!).

New lightweight gear purchased this summer:
Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1 (tent + footprint + stakes: 2 lbs 9 oz)
Western Mountaineering UltraLite 20F bag (1 lb 13 oz)
Therm-a-Rest ProLite Plus in Small (1 lb 1 oz) not light, but comfort here!
Montbell ultralight down vest (4 oz)
GoLite Ether wind shirt (4 oz)
Montbell stretch wind pants (4 oz)
JetBoil PCS (including full fuel canister: 1 lb 6 oz) not the lightest, but fast!
Bare Boxer (1.6 lbs)

All in all, I was able to keep my pack weight down to 32 lbs for a 5-day trip, including bear can, food, 1.5L of water, and my 2-lb camera and 1.5-lb tripod! Not ultralight, but I was comfortable, smile
Posted By: Bob R Re: Lightest weight hiking gear - 11/05/09 07:40 PM
The formatting won't carry over, so I can't easily copy and paste here. But see the link to my Ultralight Pack, with a base weight of 5 1/2 lb. Add 2 lb food per day and the total weight for a weekend trip is 9 1/2 lb.

I also have what I call my Not-So-Ultralight Pack. The goal here is a little more comfort and preparedness, but to still adhere to saving weight as much as possible. It's just under 13 lb.

If I go with one or more others, they almost always want hot meals. So add a pound or a little less for your share of the stove/pot/fuel.

By the way, you should take all such lists as starting points--not as shopping lists. Choose your own pack, sleeping bag, pad, etc., thinking about how little can you get away with and still be reasonably comfortable and safe. Choose each item with care, using what's on my (or someone else's) list as suggestions. You'll end up with your own "Ultralight Pack," customized to your personal preferences and metabolism.

The point is to develop a mind set to focus on what you really need, not what is just nice to have along. You can save 10, 20, or more pounds if you can hone this attitude.

Edited: Lists now give weights to tenths of an ounce
Posted By: Rod Re: Lightest weight hiking gear - 11/05/09 09:29 PM
I have the Gatewood Cape Rain Gear/Shelter It is a poncho and a shelter at 11 oz.
http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=45
I love it for non-windy nights. Last year 2008 on Labor Day weekend it got up to 60-70 MPH at Trail Camp in the middle of the night. If I had known it was going to get so windy I could have found wind shelter and been OK with it.At winds above 40 MPH it just rattled and fell down repeatedly.
I also have a Carbon Fiber Bearikade bear canister which is the lightest approved one I could find.
http://www.wild-ideas.net/index2.html

I try to follow Bob R's lists (who is my pack light hero). I just can't seem to get my pack weight down as low as he does.26 lbs for 3 days 3 season is as low as I have gotten so far.That takes into account stuff I don't use but might need in case of sudden severe weather change or having to survive a few days due to injury.
Posted By: Steve C Re: Lightest weight hiking gear - 11/05/09 11:17 PM
Bob R wrote:
> The formatting won't carry over, so I can't easily copy and paste here.

Bob, do you mind if I posted the text from those two docs here with links to the original? (Actually, VersatileFred has better html skills than I, and could probably duplicate your table structure.)
Posted By: Mike Condron Re: Lightest weight hiking gear - 11/06/09 12:50 AM
Don't overlook this hot idea!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7269309@N04/4079359390/

How does one post a hot link?
Posted By: DUG Re: Lightest weight hiking gear - 11/06/09 01:01 PM
I'm sort of a gear junkie. I've purchased new packs for two different hikes this year. I don't always go for the lightest either. I have a bombproof Kelty daypack that I made even heavier by adding a thick, padded fullsized waist strap. I use this mainly when my back is sore or I hike with scouts. It can hold a bunch of weight and is super organized - something I need when I'm with scouts. I like REI packs too because they are lightweight and have that mesh back. I have some Camelbak packs (about 10) as well.

I try to keep it light when I can - tent? LOL thats for scout trips. On my hikes I use a 7 dollar emergency bivy and a trash bag. Next year I'm going with just the trash bag.

Every hike is different for me so every pack out is different as well. I can go up Whitney with 7 pounds (water included) in a fanny pack or end up carrying 40 pounds (mostly water) on a scout day hike...................................DUG
Posted By: Steve C The Ultralight Pack - 11/06/09 05:31 PM
Here is the text to Bob R's document from this link ( The Ultralight Pack ).  Note that if you can download and print Word documents, I recommend Bob's link.

Bob has a second list, The Not-So-Ultralite Pack as well. It's about 5 pounds heavier.

Edit: There is a newer, heavier version of this on page 3 of this thread ( link ).

The Ultralight Pack      
Updated May 5, 2010
By Bob Rockwell

Here is the list that guides me on Sierra Nevada climbing trips in the summer, and I have it handy every time I pack. I know that there are people who trim the edges off their map, drill holes in their spoon, and take the string off their tea bag; I applaud their philosophy but don't do such things myself.

Carry: lb oz

Pack, 3200 cu. in. (Blast 32 from ZPacks.com) 0 6.7

Sleeping bag (Marmot Atom 40 degree), with stuffsack 1 3.4
Pad, Cascade Designs NeoAir small, with stuffsack 0 9.5
Heat Sheets Emergency bivy bag, with stuffsack 0 3.6
Ground cloth: black garbage sack with sides split 0 1.9

Down vest (Western Mountaineering Flash) & stuffsack 0 5.5
Light polypro long underwear, top & bottom 1 0.0
DWR wind shirt (GoLite Ether), in Ziplock sack 0 3.4
Light polypro balaclava 0 2.0
Light fleece gloves 0 2.2

Headlamp (Petzl Tikka Plus), with extra batteries 0 3.9
First aid kit, Adventure Ultralite .5
with toothbrush & paste 0 6.8
Toilet paper-8 sheets per day; Wash & Dry-1 per day 0 0.9
Quart Gatorade jug canteen, carried empty 0 1.8
Topo map, whistle, signal mirror, compass,
in Ziplock sack 0 3.6

Base weight: 5 7.2
Food, 1 lb 8 oz per day plus packaging: 4 0

Total for a two-day weekend trip: 9 7.2

Wear:
T-shirt
Fleece shirt
Hiking shorts
Briefs
Tilley hat
Bandanna
Sunglasses
Socks, and VBL
Lightweight Boots
Scree gaiters

Consider also:
Hiking poles
Sunscreen
Mosquito repellent
Ice ax, light
Crampons, aluminum

These weights are as measured on a regulation US Postal Service scale, so differ a little from advertised. The things to wear add another 5 lbs or so that your feet feel. Below them are a few other items that are sometimes needed.

There is no tent.  And there is no provision for treating water, because virtually all High Sierra water is perfectly clean.

And no stove and cookset.  If you absolutely have to have hot meals, there are plenty of lightweight options out there. For example, the Firelight Esbit Wing Stove weighs only 0.4 oz, and two 0.5 oz fuel tabs will boil a quart of water. Add an aluminum or titanium mug/pot, and your total system weighs in at less than 4 ounces.

On longer trips I take my Six Moons Gatewood cape/tarp combo (12.3 oz), and leave the emergency bivy and GoLite shirt behind. Base weight increases to 5 lb 12.5 oz.

If I have to depend on snow for topping off my canteen, I take a wide-mouth polyethylene canteen instead of the Gatorade jug.  It adds 2 oz.

Finally, bear canisters are becoming required in many areas. I have a Bare Boxer Contender, weighing 1 lb 13.9 oz.  For more than a few days, you may have to pull a few tricks to make it do.

Unfortunately, I have my weaknesses.  Add a couple of sips of brandy per evening out.

Taking all of the above--stove/cookset, cape/tarp, canteen, canister, brandy--and total weight is only 12 pounds for a two-day trip.

The Blast 32 is comfortable up to about 20 pounds, but if need to take any technical gear, goodies to share, etc., you may want a more substantial one.  The Mountainsmith Ghost (no longer available) is about the same size as the Blast 32, but with a much more rugged suspension system. It adds 2 lb 3.7 oz.  There are, of course, many other choices out there.

Other substitutions are obviously possible, and I do it often.  However, I always have the scale handy. I didn't invent the saying, but I do abide by it:  "Watch the ounces and the pounds will take care of themselves."

It should be clear that the 25 to 50 lb weekend packs so commonly seen have far more in them than is necessary.

Finally, I'm not at all fanatical about this.  But operating from a list like the above is useful for identifying what's truly essential for the trip, and realizing what's just "nice to have along."
Posted By: Rod Re: Lightest weight hiking gear - 11/06/09 05:39 PM
Thanks for posting that Steve. I have that printed up and it is in my equipment box. I will try to use this as my guideline. It seems so simple. Weather plays a big factor in what adds weight but this is about as streamlined as one can get. I got the Gateway Cape Shelter after seeing Bob R post this and I really love it.
Posted By: melville1955 Re: Lightest weight hiking gear - 11/06/09 06:40 PM
YES, I found Bob's same treatis on lightweight hiking on the internet or the WPSMB back in the spring, and used several of his ideas (and some of mine, and others) in getting my nominal overnight pack weight down from mid 40's to just 22 lbs.

I found his checklist so valuable, that I copied the idea, only mine has several choices for most of the items. Now when I do my night before packing at home, it is very easy to run down the list, and get the most efficient setup for the given trip (weather, partners, etc).
Posted By: hypoxic Zombie Re: Lightest weight hiking gear - 11/07/09 04:04 AM
Yup Bobs list RULES! grin
Posted By: Mike Condron Re: Lightest weight hiking gear - 11/08/09 02:53 AM
This is a little test to see if I have loading a picture down pat.
This spoon was found at Ostrander Lake a week ago. I guess jettisoning gear turns out to be the best way to go light.

It works.
Posted By: hikehigh Re: Lightest weight hiking gear - 11/08/09 03:58 AM
poking holes in your spoon!!! I like to pack smart and as light as possible, but I draw the line at poking holes in my utensils!
Posted By: Steve C Re: Lightest weight hiking gear - 11/08/09 04:22 AM
Congrats Mike, on the successful picture post!

I wonder just how much weight those holes saved.
Posted By: Mike Condron Re: Lightest weight hiking gear - 11/08/09 05:32 AM
27nanograms.
Posted By: SanDi_carole Re: Lightest weight hiking gear - 11/13/09 09:19 PM
Hey Ranger Bob;

Regarding your evening beverage, have you checked out the new platypus wine bags? They're lighter than a flask and compressible. And they don't break as easily when you accidentally sit on them or fall over on your pack.. not that I would do that or anything..

normally they are $13 each, but amazon has a 4 pk for $28 platypus wine bags
Posted By: RoguePhotonic Re: Lightest weight hiking gear - 12/20/09 08:27 PM
Has anyone tried cutting weight with the quilt idea? I was planning to buy this cuben fiber quilt but since it's more delicate and my standard sleeping bag was tore up from a bear I need something more durable for all around use right now.

I'm going to try and get away with using this 2.2 ounce pad, I sleep on the floor at home also so actual padding has never been an issue for me in the back country, I sleep just fine but I am concerned about the insulation factor with only an 1/8 inch thick pad, i'll probably buy it and give it some test runs and if it's insufficient i'll go with the 3/8's versin which still cuts it down to 6.6 ounces.
Posted By: Steve C Re: Lightest weight hiking gear - 12/20/09 08:47 PM
The issue with the cuben fiber is it's abrasion resistance is low. My zpacks.com cuben-fiber pack got a few holes on just two backpack trips. I used seam sealer to close the holes.

And with a quilt, the fiber is prevents water and air from getting through. So if you try sleeping with it, you're bound to get covered with moisture condensation.

I like my pack, but I think I'd pass on the quilt.
Posted By: JWolf24601 Re: Lightest weight hiking gear - 07/07/10 04:18 PM
I realize I am ressurecting an old post, but I have been dreaming bout this stuff for weeks now.

My pack weight is down to about 30# at the moment, not terrible, but if I win the lottery while I am on Mt. Whitney this weekend I will be ordering this setup...

Zpack Blast 32                                 7.1oz $190
Tarptent Sublite 18.5oz $179
MontBell UL SS DH #3 Long 24.0oz $299
ThermaRest NeoAir Reg 14.0oz $149
MSR Titan Kettle 4.0oz $ 59
Monatauk Gnat Stove 1.6oz $ 49
black garbage sack with sides split 1.9oz
MontBell Ex Light Jacket XL 6.2oz $165
Light polypro long underwear bottom 8.0oz
DriDuck Rainsuit 12.0oz
Light polypro balaclava 2.0oz
Light fleece gloves 2.2oz
Petzl e+LITE Headlamp 1.0oz $ 29
Adventure Medical UL .3 First-Aid (customized) 3.0oz
Toiletry Kit 3.0oz
Quart Gatorade jug canteen, carried empty 1.8oz
Topo map, whistle, signal mirror, compass, 3.6oz
in Ziplock sack

Total Packweight (minus fuel/food) 7lb 1.9oz

Carry,
Titanium Goat Adj, poles 7.2oz $130

That's my preferences for luxury & lightweight
Posted By: Steve C Re: Lightest weight hiking gear - 07/07/10 06:11 PM
Cool.

It would be interesting to see the price of each of those items tallied up, too.

Good luck in the lottery. grin
Posted By: JWolf24601 Re: Lightest weight hiking gear - 07/07/10 09:32 PM
Added prices for the items I don't have, I only need to win $1249+tax/shipping laugh
Posted By: Steve C Re: Lightest weight hiking gear - 07/07/10 09:54 PM
JWolf, your stove is light, but you left out the cannister of fuel.

Have a look at what I use and Bob R mentions above:

> The Firelight Esbit Wing Stove weighs only 0.4 oz, and two 0.5 oz fuel tabs will boil a quart of water. Add an aluminum or titanium mug/pot, and your total system weighs in at less than 4 ounces.

Click on the image to see the Backpacking Light info:
Posted By: Bulldog34 Re: Lightest weight hiking gear - 07/07/10 10:03 PM
Steve, dude, I'm all for less weight - but you guys are the backpacking version of anorexic! This is beyond UL! smile
Posted By: Steve C Re: Lightest weight hiking gear - 07/07/10 11:28 PM
What?!! It's all commercially available stuff. smirk

And it works quite well. So why should I lug all that stuff built out of bricks around? grin
Posted By: JWolf24601 Re: Lightest weight hiking gear - 07/08/10 12:12 AM
Originally Posted By: Steve C
JWolf, your stove is light, but you left out the cannister of fuel.

Have a look at what I use and Bob R mentions above:

> The Firelight Esbit Wing Stove weighs only 0.4 oz, and two 0.5 oz fuel tabs will boil a quart of water. Add an aluminum or titanium mug/pot, and your total system weighs in at less than 4 ounces.

Click on the image to see the Backpacking Light info:

That's a sweet stove and I would probably use that if I did PCT or JMT. Rangers in So. Nevada like to give crap about alcohol or esbit stoves being "open flames" with fire restrictions though.
Posted By: RoguePhotonic Re: Lightest weight hiking gear - 07/08/10 01:47 AM
I forgot about this thread. The 2.2 ounce pad was no good and would not hold it's shape even if you just pressed your hand into it, got holes in it very easy and over all would never last weeks in the back country.
Posted By: Bulldog34 Re: Lightest weight hiking gear - 07/08/10 02:01 AM

And it works quite well. So why should I lug all that stuff built out of bricks around? grin

Take me with a grain of salt. Hauling close to 30 pounds, I'll be wishing I had your pack well before Trail Camp next Thursday . . .
Posted By: DUG Re: Lightest weight hiking gear - 07/08/10 02:28 AM
Originally Posted By: Bulldog34

Take me with a grain of salt. Hauling close to 30 pounds, I'll be wishing I had your pack well before Trail Camp next Thursday . . .

I have a few REI packs that are light if you need to borrow one...............................DUG
Posted By: Rod Re: Lightest weight hiking gear - 07/24/10 05:37 AM
Bob R where did you get your Titanium goat bivy? You have my interest.
Posted By: JWolf24601 Re: Lightest weight hiking gear - 07/26/10 03:03 PM
Probably from http://www.titaniumgoat.com/Bivy.html laugh
Posted By: Rod Re: Lightest weight hiking gear - 07/26/10 04:34 PM
Thanks Jwolf. 6 oz for sleeping system. that is what i am talking about!!!
Posted By: So.BayMark Re: Lightest weight hiking gear - 08/22/10 04:27 AM
Bob R: got the Goat bivy last week w/ bug net window, used it last night on Baldy, like that bug window!
I enjoyed it..

http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2808997980105017385amhDOP?vhost=outdoors

thanks...mark
Posted By: lynn-a-roo Re: Lightest weight hiking gear - 08/23/11 06:55 PM
SanDiCarole,

Thank you for the tip on the Platypus Wine Preserver. I've been looking everywhere for something to carry wine in. Great price too.

Thanks lots!
Posted By: Cindy Abbott Re: Lightest weight hiking gear - 08/23/11 07:44 PM
Originally Posted By: lynn-a-roo
Thank you for the tip on the Platypus Wine Preserver. I've been looking everywhere for something to carry wine in. Great price too. Thanks lots!

So I'm not the only one!?! wink wink
Posted By: Brent N Re: Lightest weight hiking gear - 08/24/11 08:00 PM
Bob and others who have used the NeoAir, I love mine, but I haven't used it yet on freezing ground. How does it perform in sub freezing temps?

Brent N
Posted By: Steve C Re: Lightest weight hiking gear - 08/24/11 08:27 PM
I used mine on snow inside a tent this spring. But I had a closed-cell pad underneath, so it was warm.

I wouldn't use it on snow without an extra pad. But I think dry ground should be ok.
Posted By: Fishmonger Re: Lightest weight hiking gear - 08/25/11 10:57 AM
I gave up on inflatables after a few bad experiences. Went back to foam and am happy with that. Lighter, too.
Posted By: Brent N Re: Lightest weight hiking gear - 08/25/11 12:15 PM
I'll add a few of my favorite UL items. I carry a lot of what has been mentioned earlier, but I won't repeat those. All measurements are in ounces
Siltwin tarp with rope and Stakes     10 
Montbell down jacket 7.8
Montbell down pants 6.8
driducks jacket (for rain and wind) 6
driducks pants (rain and wind) 4.3
Cooking system:
TiWare pot (REI) 4
titanium spork .5
whitebox stove (from redbull can) 1
windscreen .8
denatured alcohol (.5 oz per day) 1
earplugs (never camp without them) .1

My cooking system weighs a little under 6 ounces and has performed flawlessly through the years. The down pants or jacket work great as a pillow too.

Brent N
Posted By: Steve C Re: Lightest weight hiking gear - 08/25/11 12:30 PM
Brent, I've not seen the whitebox stove before. It is good because it supports a pot nicely.

Here's a review:

It's the best alcohol stove I've seen yet.
Posted By: Brent N Re: Lightest weight hiking gear - 08/25/11 12:51 PM
It has worked flawlessly. There is one thing that you have to get used to though with an alcohol burning stove. You can't rest the pot on the top of the stove until the flames blossom out of the jet holes on the side. Seeing those jets is easy at night, but is nearly impossible in the daylight. For that reason, experience and practice is pretty helpful, but with experience you can hear a little "whoof" to let you know that the jets have blossomed. Once you learn how to use this stove, it is a champ.

Brent
Posted By: Fishmonger Re: Lightest weight hiking gear - 08/25/11 03:08 PM
my latest UL purchase was this North Face Diez jacket - one of those Steep and Cheap impulse buys, but I am glad I did it (for $100, this was a steal, they want $279 for the 2011 model at backcountry.com)

DWR fabric, 800 fill, just 14 ounces. Fabric is so shiny, the thing looks wet all the time. Now I have three thermal layer jackets in the closet and need to decide which one to take this October for a late season JMT. Each jacket is a little different (but hey, that's how you justify buying all that fancy gear whistle)

TNF Diez, super light, no hood, but with fleece and shell probably all I'll need for October.

Mammut Stratus hooded belay jacket, synthetic fill will stay warm no matter what, plus a nice hood and not too puffy, so it layers still very well. Weight not so good: about a pound more than the Diez, but then it's twice the jacket.

Or the super warm MHW Sub Zero which was great in April, but comes in at 1050 grams, or about 37 ounces. Overkill unless I end up sitting in my tent for 4 days during the first winter storm.

Currently, the Diez has the edge, thinking I'l crawl into the sleeping bag should things get really ugly.
Posted By: Fishmonger Re: Lightest weight hiking gear - 08/25/11 03:18 PM
and another recent purchase (on sate at Easter Mountain Sports, clearance priced), cutting 6 pounds off my winter shelter weight (a big 3-person MHW 4-season tent): The MSR Twin Sisters 4-season tarp-shelter

still need to get me some Tyvek ground sheet, but I'm definitely taking this on the JMT this October. 2 pounds and obviously winter tested. Let's me pack 6 pounds more camera gear than the other tent grin
Posted By: Steve C Re: Lightest weight hiking gear - 08/25/11 04:15 PM
Nice jacket, Fish.

But the tent... Looks like a waterproof single wall. In a storm, it looks like condensation would be pretty intense.
Posted By: Fishmonger Re: Lightest weight hiking gear - 08/25/11 04:26 PM
Nice jacket, Fish.

But the tent... Looks like a waterproof single wall. In a storm, it looks like condensation would be pretty intense.

And that is when the conduit material on the sleeping bag pays off. Not concerned. The thing is big for one person, has a large vent on one end and you can just leave the door open on the other. The remaining condensation will run off the walls to the ground. You can also set it up a little higher off the ground and leave a gap on the bottom like with normal tarps, so there's that extra air flow if moisture is in the air.

Never seen a winter tent without condensation issues when not used in extreme winter temps. And my dual wall 3-season tents aren't much better - when it gets wet and drips from the fly, it eventually gets wet inside, especially where the poles connect to the fly. I now have 6 tents to choose from... none is perfect.

Posted By: Anonymous Re: Lightest weight hiking gear - 08/25/11 09:47 PM
Originally Posted By: Fishmonger
and another recent purchase (on sate at Easter Mountain Sports, clearance priced), cutting 6 pounds off my winter shelter weight (a big 3-person MHW 4-season tent): The MSR Twin Sisters 4-season tarp-shelter

still need to get me some Tyvek ground sheet, but I'm definitely taking this on the JMT this October. 2 pounds and obviously winter tested. Let's me pack 6 pounds more camera gear than the other tent grin

Dude, this tent look awesome, does it have the flaps around the perimeter to pile snow on?
Posted By: Fishmonger Re: Lightest weight hiking gear - 08/26/11 12:45 AM
Originally Posted By: Burchey
Dude, this tent look awesome, does it have the flaps around the perimeter to pile snow on?

absolutely

Posted By: davehikes Re: Lightest weight hiking gear - 08/26/11 01:41 PM
Originally Posted By: hikehigh
poking holes in your spoon!!! I like to pack smart and as light as possible, but I draw the line at poking holes in my utensils!

I'm a definite fan of cutting the strings off my tea bags - Who need all the weight of those extra strings
Posted By: Fishmonger Re: Lightest weight hiking gear - 08/26/11 02:07 PM
Originally Posted By: davehikes
Originally Posted By: hikehigh

I'm a definite fan of cutting the strings off my tea bags - Who need all the weight of those extra strings

back in 1988, I decided to ditch the film canisters I had my 27 rolls of slide film in when starting the JMT. Kept the film in a zip lock, in a cooler... while traveling to the Sierras through Nevada, the film decided to drown in the cooler, and zip lock bags are anything but water proof. Saved about 1 ounce, destroyed $150 in film (on a student budget).

I think that experience has changed my approach to that final extreme last ounce saved mode. More often than not, I will pack an extra sweater or fuel canister into my pack just moments before departing on a hike "just in case." Every time I decided not to bring something I did regret it later on.
Posted By: Steve C Re: Lightest weight hiking gear - 08/26/11 03:08 PM
Too bad on the film, Fish!

Actually holes in the spoon would help identify it from everyone else's. I just went on a group trip, and I think most people returned with utensils that they didn't start with.

It IS a good idea to repackage those freeze-dried dinners. The packaging takes up way too much room in a canister.
Posted By: Mike Condron Re: Lightest weight hiking gear - 08/26/11 03:16 PM
Too bad on the film, Fish!

Actually holes in the spoon would help identify it from everyone else's. I just went on a group trip, and I think most people returned with utensils that they didn't start with.

It IS a good idea to repackage those freeze-dried dinners. The packaging takes up way too much room in a canister.

Steve,
Where did you find that picture? I was looking for it!! Bill-e-g and I found that spoon near Ostrander I think. Obviously jettisoned for being too heavy by some ultralighter.
Posted By: Steve C Re: Lightest weight hiking gear - 08/26/11 03:27 PM
> Steve, Where did you find that picture?

It is from YOUR post on page 1 of this thread! grin
Posted By: Mike Condron Re: Lightest weight hiking gear - 08/26/11 03:52 PM
> Steve, Where did you find that picture?

It is from YOUR post on page 1 of this thread! grin

That was nearly two years ago. You expect me to remember that far back?? I don't have any idea where it's located. Seems like it's on filckr but I can't log in there anymore.
Posted By: Steve C Re: Lightest weight hiking gear - 08/26/11 05:26 PM
Yes, it is on flicker. The URL is   http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2527/4079359390_3910892318_m.jpg

> You expect me to remember that far back??

I feel your pain. My computer died two weeks ago and it has been a royal pain getting access to everything. Here's an EXCELLENT tool I use that has helped: Password Safe I have over 50 sites and passwords stored in it.
Posted By: Brent N Re: Lightest weight hiking gear - 08/29/11 05:25 PM
Bob, you mentioned that one of the ways you go UL, is you don't cook, but you also said that you keep your food down to 1 lb 8 oz per day. Your food weight per day is the same as mine except one of my meals (dinner) is freeze dried. So, what do you eat?

Brent N
Posted By: Steve C The Ultralight Pack - 10/10/13 06:31 AM
Bob Rockwell sent me his latest, revised version of "The Ultralight Pack". This one is a bit heavier than the first. Base weight is just under 7 lbs.

The earlier one, can be seen on Page 1 of this thread. This one includes a heavier backpack, down sweater with hood, rain parka, and other differences. Bob notes that the new down sweater can be worn while sleeping, and get another 15 degrees of comfort from his sleeping bag.

Here's the text from the new document.

The Ultralight Pack
Updated October 4, 2013
By Bob Rockwell

Here is the list that guides me on Sierra Nevada climbing trips in the summer, and I have it handy every time I pack. I know that there are people who trim the edges off their map, drill holes in their spoon, and take the string off their tea bag; I applaud their philosophy but don't do such things myself.

Carry: lb oz
-------------------------------------------------- -- ----
Pack, Six Moon Designs Essence. 0 14.5

Sleeping bag, Marmot Atom 40°, with stuffsack 1 3.4
and pee bottle
Pad, Cascade Designs ProLite, small 0 11.7
Emergency bivy bag, Heat Sheets 0 3.6
Ground cloth: black garbage sack with sides split 0 1.9

Down sweater with hood, M. H. Ghost Whisperer 0 8.5
Light polypro long underwear, top & bottom 1 0.0
Waterproof-breathable parka, Lowe Adrenaline 0 14.5
Light polypro balaclava 0 2.0
Light fleece gloves 0 2.2

Headlamp (Petzl Tikka Plus), with extra batteries 0 3.9
First aid kit, Adventure Ultralite 0 .5
with toothbrush & paste 0 6.8
Toilet paper, 8 sheets per day; Wet Ones, one per day 0 0.9
Quart Gatorade canteen, carried empty 0 1.8
Topo map, whistle, signal mirror, compass, 0 3.6
in Ziplock sack
Base weight: 6 15.3

Food (1 lb 8 oz per day) including 4 0
moisture & packaging:
Total for a two-day weekend trip: 10 15.3

Wear:
T-shirt
Fleece shirt
Hiking shorts
Briefs
Tilley hat
Bandanna
Sunglasses
Socks, and VBL
Lightweight Boots
Scree gaiters

Consider also:
Hiking poles
Sunscreen
Mosquito repellent
Ice ax, light
Crampons, aluminum

These weights are as measured on a regulation US Postal Service scale and differ a little from advertised. The things to wear in the right-hand column add another few pounds that your feet feel. Below them are other items that are sometimes needed.

There is no tent. And there is no provision for treating water, because virtually all High Sierra water is perfectly clean.

And no stove and cookset. If you absolutely have to have hot meals, there are plenty of lightweight options out there. For example, the Firelight Esbit Wing Stove weighs only 0.4 oz, and two 0.5 oz fuel tabs will boil a quart of water. Add an MSR titanium pot, some aluminum foil for windscreen, and your total system weighs in around 7 ounces.

If rain is likely, I take my Titanium Goat bivy (7.3 oz) instead of the Heat Sheets; base weight increases by 3.7 oz.

If I have to depend on snow for topping off my canteen now and then, I take a wide-mouth polyethylene canteen instead of the Gatorade jug. It adds 2.0 oz.

Unfortunately, I have my indulgences. Add an ounce or two of single malt per evening out.

Taking all of the above-cooking system, better bivy, canteen, scotch-and total weight is just over 11 pounds for a two-day trip.

Other substitutions are obviously possible, and I do it often. However, I always have the scale handy. I didn't invent the saying, but I do abide by it: Watch the ounces and the pounds will take care of themselves.

Finally, I'm not at all fanatical about this. But operating from a list like the above is useful for identifying what's truly essential for the trip, and realizing what's just "nice to have along."

Posted By: Bob R Re: The Ultralight Pack - 10/13/13 05:58 PM
Bob Rockwell sent me his latest, revised version of "The Ultralight Pack". This one is a bit heavier than the first. Base weight is just under 7 lbs.

The reason it's a little heavier is that I decided to make it more reasonable--a list others might emulate with little change. (A lot of the lightweight ideas out there seem to be driven to an extreme that holds little practical meaning for the average hiker.)

It's indeed pretty much what I take from about May through October. Solo, I use the Esbit stove, but usually I'm with friends who like hot meals; then it's sharing either a Simmerlite or Pocket Rocket. Oh, and I did forget to include light waterproof-breathable shell pants to be taken if a storm is likely. Mine are Mountain Hardwear, 11.7 oz.

Some might scoff at a 40 deg bag in the season's shoulders, but it's just fine on chillier nights if I wear some of my clothing. The Ghost Whisperer, worn to bed, adds at least 15 degrees warmth if I am in my bivy sack as well. I used it a couple of weeks ago when the temperature at camp was predicted to be about 20 deg. I was quite comfortable, and didn't have to get the bivy sack out.

With the current changes, it closely approaches my "Not-So-Ultralike-Pack," so I've removed that one.
Posted By: Jim Means Re: The Ultralight Pack - 10/13/13 09:09 PM

What, no wag bag or bear canister shocked
© WhitneyZone Message Board