Mt Whitney Zone
Posted By: rusty Mt. Langley via Cottonwood Lakes Beta - 06/06/17 11:04 PM
Any recent trail condition reports?
I had a permit for this weekend that the ranger station contacted me advising to cancel. The Horseshoe Meadows road is still under repair and the trail heads are closed. So I cancelled my permit and hoping to get up later in the summer. Hope this helps.
Posted By: rusty Re: Mt. Langley via Cottonwood Lakes Beta - 06/08/17 09:26 PM
Apparently things have changed. I just called and was advised by Whitney Ranger station that the road is open as is the trailhead.
That's great! Thank you for letting me know!
Posted By: PeteK. Re: Mt. Langley via Cottonwood Lakes Beta - 06/09/17 02:18 AM
I just summited Langley via the NE Couloir yesterday. Looking down towards New and Old Army passes the 'trail' looked pretty clear with some occasional snowfields. Have no idea on what the passes are like though. Good luck!
Posted By: rusty Re: Mt. Langley via Cottonwood Lakes Beta - 06/09/17 03:29 PM
Great! I'll be spending the nite Sat, so, swing by for some hot chocolate all.

Mike
Posted By: lomarena Re: Mt. Langley via Cottonwood Lakes Beta - 06/22/17 08:17 PM
is it hard to obtain walk-in permits for 6 for 7/7 for Cottonwood lakes?
Posted By: Steve C Re: Mt. Langley via Cottonwood Lakes Beta - 06/22/17 08:44 PM
Originally Posted By: lomarena
is it hard to obtain walk-in permits for 6 for 7/7 for Cottonwood lakes?

On all trails except the Whitney Main Trail, 60% of permits are reservable 6 months in advance, and 40% are held back for walk-in requests. Those 40% are made available at 11 AM, the day before the hike entry date. There should be a good number available.

For that trail head, JM39 on this doc, there are 24 walk-ins available at that time. There just aren't 24 people who are going to take that risk, so your chances are VERY good.
Posted By: lomarena Re: Mt. Langley via Cottonwood Lakes Beta - 06/22/17 10:16 PM
thanks
Is there any current info on Mt. Langley? I know Horseshoe Meadows Rd is open but wondered if anyone has info on any current climbing conditions via NAP. Thank you!
Posted By: QITNL Re: Mt. Langley via Cottonwood Lakes Beta - 05/16/18 06:50 AM
I was up there last weekend. The only bit of tricky snow is the last 30 odd feet below New Army Pass. The fellow before me hiked it with just poles and a big pack. I was lugging an axe and crampons so it was a snap. I thought I'd do folks a favor and kick some good steps, then some other guys glissaded and wiped them out. Nothing much to worry about.

Didn't look like anyone had been up Old Army yet. I could link some photos if you like.
Thank you! I have a group going up so I need to make sure everyone has the proper gear or I don't want them on the mountain. That cornice is always an issue. Thank you for your trouble to kick in steps!!! That's always so appreciated. Boo to the jerks that screwed them up. Always those people unfortunately. How were the snow fields above the pass? How was the passage when scrambling through the rocks on final summit approach? I would really love to see some of your pictures! Thanks again!!
One more question... did you remain in your crampons etc... to the summit? Thank you!
Posted By: QITNL Re: Mt. Langley via Cottonwood Lakes Beta - 05/16/18 07:37 PM
I've posted some photos here (in progress):
http://www.tiogaroad.com/langley051018/

There's a zoom shot of the pass towards the end of the set. No cornice to worry about. That's the only spot where you might benefit from some traction, the rest is just a hike.
Thanks for sharing this beautiful pictures!!
Thank you! Great photos! That zoom on the Whitney hut is AMAZING!
Posted By: MuffenMan Re: Mt. Langley via Cottonwood Lakes Beta - 05/22/18 03:53 PM
Hi CanadianGirl...did you go up Langley? Conditions? Cornice? etc... I am going Memorial Day Weekend. Any information you can provide will be helpful. Thanks!
Hello... no I am not going up for a few weeks. I did have friends that went up to NAP on May 19th and encountered pretty clear conditions to NAP with the patches of snow they post-holed through but nothing to require gear. A storm rolled in above the pass as they got to High Lake and it started snowing heavily. That's where they turned around. They believe they could have travelled safely up NAP with micro-spikes and poles. Hope this helps!
The lakes below the pass are so pretty make sure to get a night there. Above the old army pass I walked right by the trail to Langley because I was enjoying the view. It's a trail but faint.
Thank you Jennifer! I have been to Langley several times and do have my tracks but thank you! It is amazing up there and have definitely headed on the route you are talking about LOL.
© WhitneyZone Message Board