Mt Whitney Zone
Posted By: Panorama Paul I-Phones - 07/02/17 01:33 PM
Do they work on top of Mt. Whitney?
Posted By: Panorama Paul Re: I-Phones - 07/05/17 01:50 PM
I have received one reply from a guy who's been on top almost 20 twenty times with an Android. He's always found places near the top where performance is good...but not necessarily right at the summit. Wish I had a few more responses before I make an announcement about a cool FREE resource tied to these devices.
Posted By: Scott H Re: I-Phones - 07/05/17 03:51 PM
I phones will work at the top, It might be hit or miss sometimes but with some moving around you'll probably pick up a signal
Posted By: Steve C Re: I-Phones - 07/05/17 04:01 PM
you need to read this thread:

Gaia GPS APP and Cell Phone Coverage
Posted By: iSz Re: I-Phones - 07/05/17 05:06 PM
Originally Posted By: Panorama Paul
Do they work on top of Mt. Whitney?

Not at summit but yes at the windows. Step off the trail, hang on tight and enjoy your signal.
Posted By: Panorama Paul Re: I-Phones - 07/05/17 06:52 PM
Thx, Steve...you must be Mr. Corporate Memory. The situation seems to be what I expected...if you want a cell phone connection on / near the top, you can find it.

I have faced the reality of my Whitney Poster being too expensive for commercial viability. AND, I've accidentally found that labeled photos on my website can be easily looked at real time, at a very usable resolution, FOR FREE. So, I have gone altruistic and more panoramas will eventually end up there. Instructions for cell phones and PCs are there. The Whitney Poster will be the first, last and only paper product for sale.

Unfortunately these photos don't download well, but there's a standing offer for provision by email, which solves the problem for panoramas from places with no cell coverage. I have quite a few labeled panoramas that I would like for folks to avail themselves of if they want to.
Posted By: vknyvz Re: I-Phones - 07/06/17 08:45 AM
iphones may not work to make phone calls, but even when there's no signal, I use my alltrails gps app on my phone, it always shows where I am. take a look it's pretty cool although may not be all that useful if you're taking the chute since it's not really the trail, and might show you off-trail
Posted By: DUG Re: I-Phones - 07/07/17 12:21 AM
My iPhone never works while hiking. Partly because AT&T sucks and mostly because I leave it in the car..........................................DUG
Posted By: pcieluch Re: I-Phones - 07/07/17 04:02 PM
I was not able to get signal,ATT, at the summit. But I read somewhere at the windows you could get it. I was able to get signal at the windows pretty good.
Posted By: Steve C Re: I-Phones - 07/08/17 04:18 AM
> I was not able to get signal,ATT, at the summit.

Did you try my tried-and-true spot?
© WhitneyZone Message Board