Mt Whitney Zone
Posted By: Fran_G Descent & training tips - 08/10/17 07:02 PM
Just trying to get a gauge on the condition of other folks on your descent, that summited in one day. For instance, on a scale of 1-10 how did your feet/legs and fatigue level feel? We have day permits for the end of August:)!! And our last training hikes on the weekends leading up will only be up to 14 miles, due to time/logistical constraints. Can anyone else share if you've had similar mileage leading up to your summit and if you could've changed your training hikes, what would you have done? I'm not so much worried about getting to the top (although I know it's tough), but it's the getting back down part...Thanks!
Posted By: retarded Re: Descent & training tips - 08/10/17 07:19 PM
They have daily flights if you can't make it down JUST KIDDING!

I don't believe that distance equals distance, meaning I wouldn't worry that you're only doing 10 mile practice hikes, and "the event" is 22. What I would say is more important is the type of practice, and your body's tolerance to altitude.

I would say practice on hilly areas, and do A LOT OF STEPS, both up and down. Also, having a pole or poles can help. I only needed mine on the way down.

I'm moderately fit and had tired legs at the end, but they hurt for many days after.
Posted By: John Sims Re: Descent & training tips - 08/10/17 07:32 PM
There are two "saws", or "rules of thumb" that I use to gauge my fitness level:
1. You can do on one day, what you typically do during a week of training. So, if your total milage during a typical training week is 22+ miles you pass that test.
1. You can do in one day double what your big day is during a typical training week. So, if you hike 12+ miles on one day during a typical training week you should be able to do 22/23 miles in a single day. Please note, this is for a "typical" week, not a "one time" week. If you've been doing this for over three weeks you pass this test.
Two caveats:
1. This does not take into consideration altitude. To handle that, I do allow three nights at 9K', and then normally do not have any issues with altitude (other than the heavy breathing, and slower pace).
2. Your training hikes should include hills similar in slope of the Whitney main trail

Do not worry too much about the decent. Gravity is your friend. You will not be breathing hard, although your knees and feet will likely be complaining.
Posted By: Halfdomer Homer Re: Descent & training tips - 08/11/17 03:09 PM
In my experience training for a one day MT. Whitney hike I try to do at least 12-16 miles on the weekends preceding Whitney. I hike steep hills to get my legs ready. The steeper the better, distance is not as important as steepness IMO. For example, I will do 11 mile (4000 ft gain) Mt. Baldy Ski Hut trail up and Devils Backbone down (W/Mt. Harwood) and the next weekend I will do 13 mile (5800 ft gain) Baldy Bear Canyon Trail (very difficult and steep). I will switch off between very difficult and steep and not so difficult but steep every weekend before Whitney. The weekend before Whitney I try to not overdo it, so I will do Register Ridge, Harwood, Baldy and West Baldy and come down the Ski Hut trail for a shorter but still steep hike. This year I am doing Baldy Ski Hut up DBB down every other weekend and in between I am doing Baldy Bear Canyon, San Bernardino Peak and Half Dome.

Hope this helps, steep is the key for me! I will be on Whitney Sat. Sept 9.

-Dan
Posted By: Fran_G Re: Descent & training tips - 08/11/17 03:39 PM
Or where's the tram??!! Lol. Agreed, lots of steps down as well is good. And we're continuing to practice with trekking poles. Thanks!
Posted By: Fran_G Re: Descent & training tips - 08/11/17 03:47 PM
This is basically what I was counting on as far as typical mileage and then the big push to make it in one day! So good to hear it from someone else. But certainly don't want to underestimate the altitude as a factor. Yep, I am mentally preparing to have 'grouchy' knees/feet coming down. Thanks!
Posted By: Fran_G Re: Descent & training tips - 08/11/17 03:53 PM
We were planning to do DBB up and Ski Hut trail down this weekend, but maybe I'll reverse that... Thanks for the info!
Posted By: Steve C Re: Descent & training tips - 08/11/17 05:27 PM
Originally Posted By: Fran_G
Or where's the tram??!! Lol. Agreed, lots of steps down as well is good. And we're continuing to practice with trekking poles. Thanks!

You asked for it:

Posted By: over1812 Re: Descent & training tips - 08/20/17 06:07 AM
Well, if you want to really prepare yourself for punishment on the knees and feet, go both up *and* down Baldy Bowl Trail. If you can manage that pain/fatigue well, that's a good start. My last training hike I like to do at least once close to Whitney is San Gorgonio via Vivian Creek, so you get the most elevation and steepness as well as good mileage (18 miles). But since you don't have the time for that, Baldy as much as you can!
Posted By: psykokid Re: Descent & training tips - 08/21/17 06:09 AM
In the Baldy area nothing gives you bang for the buck like the Register Ridge trail. From the start of the spur off the Ski Hut trail to the top of Mt Harwood you cover 1.5 miles and climb 2,800 feet at an average grade of 35%. I don't even bother with the ski hut trail (too many people) or the backbone trail anymore, I just take RR up AND down. Works out glutes, quads, calves and knees quite well.
Posted By: Fran_G Re: Descent & training tips - 08/24/17 04:04 PM
@over1812 @psykokid Thanks for the tips, appreciate it!
© WhitneyZone Message Board