Mt Whitney Zone
Posted By: quillansculpture Showers in Lone Pine? - 07/05/10 11:24 PM
Hi....Going up to Whitney soon, but need to stay one night in Lone Pine, probably in my truck. Any place I can just camp out in my truck before going up to the Portal....AND, does anyone know where there is a shower in Lone Pine? Thanks
Posted By: Bulldog34 Re: Showers in Lone Pine? - 07/05/10 11:39 PM
Joe, we have a room at the Hostel beginning Wednesday - you're welcome to anything you need: shower, bunk, etc.

Barb says she'll even read you a bedtime story . . .
Posted By: Myspleen Re: Showers in Lone Pine? - 07/06/10 12:21 AM
The Whitney Portal Store at the trailhead has a hot shower for $3.
Posted By: quillansculpture Re: Showers in Lone Pine? - 07/06/10 01:10 AM
I don't think Barb could take the snoring from both of us! The noise might start another earthquake up there.
Posted By: Bulldog34 Re: Showers in Lone Pine? - 07/06/10 01:31 AM
Well, there is that - plus you need a night up high before we start on the 15th. The family and I will have the one night in LP on the 14th, but will also have been sleeping at 8K' and hiking at 10-11K' for a week prior.

I believe I've read a number of posts about folks sleeping in their vehicles in the overflow lots at the Portal. You could probably do the same thing 1600 feet higher at Horseshoe Meadow about 30 minutes away if you wanted.
Posted By: Steve C Re: Showers in Lone Pine? - 07/06/10 04:50 AM
Perfect advice, Bulldog.

And for those without friends who have a room at the Hostel, people can walk in to the Hostel (Whitney Portal Hostel) and get a shower for $5.
Posted By: wbtravis Re: Showers in Lone Pine? - 07/06/10 05:45 AM
Originally Posted By: Myspleen
The Whitney Portal Store at the trailhead has a hot shower for $3.

This is the 2nd year without showers at the WPS.

Head for the The Hostel, where they were $5 last year...and worth every stinking penny.
Posted By: Bulldog34 Re: Showers in Lone Pine? - 07/06/10 11:26 AM
Originally Posted By: wbtravis
This is the 2nd year without showers at the WPS.

Head for the The Hostel, where they were $5 last year...and worth every stinking penny.

I wondered when I saw the $3 post. Last year when I was hanging around the WPS having a pancake the day after my Whitney death march, I overheard someone ask the same question - they were told that they needed to head to LP and the Hostel. I was a little confused because I thought I had read in "Whitney Lore" about WPS shower availability, or maybe even in your on-line Whitney notes (which I basically memorized before that first time up Whitney). I just assumed they were OOO at the store, but obviously not.
Posted By: wbtravis Re: Showers in Lone Pine? - 07/06/10 02:32 PM
The shower at WPS was more trouble that it was worth, according to Earlene. Folks would purposely damage it and leave it a stinking mess. At The Hostel they have more control, plus towels and bar soap.

It is a much better than the late lamented WPS shower.
Posted By: DUG Re: Showers in Lone Pine? - 07/06/10 02:39 PM
I was told by DougSr several weeks ago that they showers at the store were OPEN this year. Last Thursday I saw several dripping wet, clean looking folks outside the store and I assumed the showers were back in action as DougSr had said.

Since my own shower is a short 4 hours away, I've always used it anyway..................................DUG
Posted By: bobpickering Re: Showers in Lone Pine? - 07/06/10 03:19 PM
I got a shower at WPS on June 23. The only problem is that there is only one shower, so there could be a wait.
© WhitneyZone Message Board