Mt Whitney Zone
Posted By: Test123 Water Status along trail - 08/23/17 09:19 PM
I am seeing some news about the water contamination in the portal https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/inyo/news-events/?cid=FSEPRD555445.

Does this mean the water availability along the trail is contaminated as well? if so., is the filter and water purification tablets enough to purify and that water can be used. I am wondering whether we will end up in carrying water for the entire 22 miles.

Input on this is appreciated.

Thanks
Posted By: Steve C Re: Water Status along trail - 08/24/17 03:57 AM
Water filters are sold JUST for this situation.

There is no point to filtering uncontaminated water -- you're not doing anything to improve it. So now that they have found a little contamination, it is now a valid time to filter it.

Filter it and drink it!
Posted By: ScottHikerEsq Re: Water Status along trail - 08/24/17 05:26 AM
I have the UV stick pen as opposed to a filter. Thoughts?
Posted By: saltydog Re: Water Status along trail - 08/26/17 07:55 AM
Originally Posted By: Test123
I am seeing some news about the water contamination in the portal https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/inyo/news-events/?cid=FSEPRD555445.

Does this mean the water availability along the trail is contaminated as well? if so., is the filter and water purification tablets enough to purify and that water can be used. I am wondering whether we will end up in carrying water for the entire 22 miles.

Input on this is appreciated.

Thanks

The contamination was found ONLY at the developed spring that feeds the installed water system at Whitney Portal, not in either Lone Pine Creek or North Fork Lone Pine Creek, which are not sources for that system or connected to it. The contaminated water system is shut down. No change has been noted to either of the creeks. YOu have to decide for yourself, but I have never and would not bother filtering or treating water from either creek.
Posted By: + @ti2d Re: Water Status along trail - 08/26/17 01:17 PM
Originally Posted By: ScottHikerEsq
I have the UV stick pen as opposed to a filter. Thoughts?

Only if the water you are trying to purify is not muddy or cloudy.
Posted By: Steve C Re: Water Status along trail - 08/26/17 11:03 PM
Saltydog wrote:
No change has been noted to either of the creeks. YOu have to decide for yourself, but I have never and would not bother filtering or treating water from either creek.

It should be noted, though, that Inyo County does not test any stream water. It is only the water within the piped water system that is ever tested.
© WhitneyZone Message Board